• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Re: How I got started with vintage computers

Yzzerdd

Veteran Member
Re: How I got started with vintage computers

In another thread, it was brought up that there was curiosity as to how someone my age got started collecting. I started when I was 14... More on this below the quote:
Mike Chambers said:
i know what you mean about the toys. i'm only 24, but for some reason i like playing with computers that are older than i am. there are a handful of us younger guys on here. i was surprised to find a few people younger than me here.

i kind of do a double take when i see like 16 and 17 year olds here that are big fans of stuff like the C64. it's weird, but there's something really cool about taking an XT and getting it on the interwebs. my favorite hobby is programming network apps for it. there's something really satisfying about going through and debugging thousands of lines of code, then when you're done... chatting with people on their fancy new-fangled dual cores from a machine that is less powerful than a DVD player.

now, me being in my mid-20's, we had an 8088 computer that i started my learning on so i guess that explains it for me. i don't know how the younger guys get into it though.

Well, when I was 2-3, I used an AT&T PC 6300, which I still have today. I was seperated from it until I was 14, and dont remember using it as a child. My grandma also had a Tandy 1000SX that I don't remember using, but she says I loved it.

I've always liked the way older things looked. When I moved to WV at age 14, I stopped in a thrift store. There I spotted a set of Apple IIc manuals, an ImageWriter II with manuals, and a full set of Apple IIc disks. After some thought, I bought it. Afterall, it looked awesome. The IIc wasn't there, but I eventually bought one. I read those manuals front-to-back.

I was immediately hungry for more. I contacted my step father, and in November, 2006 (same time I joined, IIRC) I acquired 4 AT&T PC 6300s. 1 was complete but without boxes, 3 had full sets of manuals. I read and read and read about MS-DOS and learned it and BASIC on them. I stupidly got rid of 2...Well, I only had 1 keyboard and 1 monitor, and I figured seems I had ZERO luck selling on here, I would donate them. I wish I hadn't of done that, but I was smart enough to keep two, both I still have.

Well, I ended up getting the IIc and even a Macintosh Classic in January, for those who was wondering.

So anyhow, that is how I got started, at age 14. I am still going now at age 16, and will be forever.

I agree about how cool it is to get your vintage machine on the internet. I haven't yet, and don't intend to...much too slow. BUT I use mine every day. I dial in to the Prison Board BBS (972-329-0781 or telnet/use web browser to go to rdfig.net) and check my mail, which is recieved through the internet but accessable via the BBS on my vintage machines, whichever I feel like dialing with. I can send mail, too. I also do all my typing, printing, finances, and databasing on my vintage computers. I get most of my entertainment on them by playing games and of course learning. Yes, I think learning can be fun...like learning more GWBASIC, or finding a way to make myself more productive, like using part of RAM as virtual storage.

Well that's my story. Lets hear everyone else's.

--Ryan

One day I wanted to pull some stuff off a 5 1/4 disk and realized I had no computers with compatible drives any more...then around the same time I went to the Smithsonian and saw the vintage computer exhibit. Those two events changed my perspective. I had been involved with "computers" since I could remember but I never really thought about computers as something with a "history" until then.

Hmm...good thread.

I guess my interest in vintage computers started when I went to throw my System 80 out. Thankfully I realised in time that I was also tossing history if I did that. Instead I built a tribute website the URL of which is listed in my signature.

That was in 1999. However, the real "collecting" was all the fault of Earl Evans. Last year I discovered his Retrobits podcast at http://retrobits.libsyn.com/ . Listing to all those back issues got me enthused in the vintage computers I remembered back in the early 80s generally. Then I (re-)discovered an old Ohio Challenger someone had given me in 1988 in a box in the grarage. Lo and behold that was still in working order!

I made my mind up to collect a few what I consider "classic" models, (plus software plus manuals) and keep them going to show off to people as the years go by. These are machines I used to salivate over when I saw them in mags when I was in my early 20s.

I figure tinkering around with them will be a great retirement hobby too. Although that's 15 years off I can't wait until then to collect them! By that time they will be rare (and expensive) as. :)

Then I discovered these forums, and was pleasently surprised to find like-minded people. Perhaps I'm not really a nutter after all....

But then again...:mrgreen:

Last edited:
I've always been into computers and programming (or at least since I was around 10 in the early eighties).

The collecting and interrest in vintage coputers came when I moved house in 2002 and didn't want to lug with me a Luxor ABC 800 (with diskdrives and expansion box it's a rather heavy system). So I answered an ad in the morning paper, where some guy wanted old computers.

When I went over to his place with my ABC 800 I got a tour of his little collection. He had a Commodore 128, just like the one I had in my teens. He had it connected to a modern PC, using the PC as a harddrive for the C128. I was impressed and decided to ge me an C128 again. That's when I think I started collecting computers. At first only Commodore machines... But when I found eBay and Tradera ("swedish eBay"), then I realized that there were other fun machines in the world... And now I have way too many computers... ;)

And Tezza, aren't we all some sort of nutters here?

// Z

How about 1979 -
Explorer 85 Kit for - $132.45
Video terminal Kit - $152.95
Total - $285.40

Oh wait that was my first computer and lucky for me, I still have it and a bunch of others I have collected along the way.

Seriously though I started collecting S100 cards about 6 years ago. Now I should make a system or two and also document the other computers I have.

Jim

Zeela: Was it Pugo you met? Quite an interesting story how getting rid of one (1) computer instead ended up in obtaining an awful lot of them.

I've kept onto my old home computers from the 1980's, but it wasn't until 2005-06 that I really begun to collect those. The two major factors I could do this was I finally had a salary and also lived on my own so I had room to fill. It is amazing how socializing with the "wrong" people can make you do and buy things you previously didn't imagine. :-D

Zeela: Was it Pugo you met? Quite an interesting story how getting rid of one (1) computer instead ended up in obtaining an awful lot of them.
Nope, I don't think it was pugo. this guy moved away from Linköping in 2002-03 or so... But I seem to recall him having a similar handle... Pingo or something like that.

// Z

Well for me it was about two years ago or so. A friend of mine owned a comic book store that I also helped run, he also carried video games as well. Well I took a drive to an antique mall about 45 minutes away to see if they had any decent older comic books that would be worth buying to resell in the comic book store. Didn't find much for comic books at all. However ......

... I did find a Coleco ADAM computer complete w/everything except the original box, which also included 15-20 Colecovision cartridges with the instructions, all for $50. That particular seller also had a 25% off deal going on in his booth so I wound up getting the whole lot for around $40. I hadn't played ColecoVision games in like, ages ... so it was a great trip down memory lane. Some of these games I had never played before. It was interesting reading about SmartBasic with all of the similarities to Applesoft Basic. Well it was such a cool feeling with finding a piece of computing history (although it was a much maligned computer) and for a really great price, so I began collecting different older computers, video game systems, games, books, magazines, etc.

It's been a really enjoyable hobby, that's for sure -- I still manage to learn new things about some of the older machines, and it's good to know there's other "like-minded" people who enjoy this as well.

And yes, Tez & Z .... we're definitely all nutters here. ;)

P.S. I was just thinking that maybe some of you might be wondering if that Coleco ADAM and the ColecoVision games wound up getting sold in my friend's comic book/videogame store. Heck no !!! I kept all of that stuff for myself, no way was I going to part with those goodies!

I kinda got started by accident. I used to do a few freelance salvage jobs every once and a while and one faithful time I got pointed to a pile of older computer equipment and told it was now my problem and to "get that crap outta here". (!!)

This happened one other time as well getting my collection started and almost complete in one shot. I've since sold a lot of it since I don't have space or the time for it all and I'll probably continue to sell most of it eventually. Probably the nicest thing I've gotten from that mess was a Tandy 1000TX in good condition. Full setup, monitor, unit, joystick the works. Sadly the printer was beyond help. (Horrid burn marks and that acrid smell that can only mean one thing) Thats also how I got my Mil-Spec 386 motherboard. Actually my Samsung XT clone was the only thing I didn't get from those 2 "jobs".

Other entertaining items I got was a box of buttons from a Power Station Simulator that had its wiring system burn out. (Talk about acrid smells, ugh that was nasty) Tragically this several thousand dollar machine had a wiring fault that set most of it on fire destroying the inside. But hey, at least it was a simulator and not the real deal. The coolest thing from that is the famous "big red button" that sits on my TV stand XD

The only machine I've wanted and never got my hands on is a SPARC box of some sort. Gave up looking ages ago though due to high prices.

Getting Started

Getting Started

You know, one thing I find when I run across people that have like interests as me, (computers/electronics), is that many a time we've gone down a similar path. I started with programmable calcs, moved to computers with the Radio Shack Model 1, then Commodores, etc. Many people have done the same. I never had a truck load of money to throw at my interests - but somehow always found a way to get what I wanted. (Define your priorities :) I practically lived in Radio Shack stores buying 'parts' for projects. I started a correspondence course with Cleveland Institute of Electronics in 1965 but didn't go far with it. Later I started a course with National Radio Institute but failed to follow through with that too. (Sounding like a loser here, ouch.) Finally I took yet another course with NRI for TV repair. I used to really like pouring over the Radio Electronics and Popular Electronics magazines of the day. I wish I had kept all those magazines now. I've been 'buying back' some of them as I go. Then one day in the mid 70's I bought this calculator for $50. -

picture.php

Early 70's calculators cost a truckload of money for just the 4 functions and many were quite large. That's a whole 'nother hobby branch - 'vintage calculators' and there are several good online museums for such.
My Commodore calc wasn't very versatile, but it was kind of fun figuring out how many feet to the moon and silly, useless, calculations like that. I guess I was geeky or nerdy before it was even defined. Although I had muscle cars and motorcycles instead of a pocket protector full of pens, I still was extremely interested in electronics in all forms, from stereo gear to computers. I built electronic projects, and speaker cabinets, - and I learned. I'm by no means a 'brain' at this stuff but I've picked up so much information along the way that I can usually get to where I'm going, electronically speaking. It's been a long and winding road. I went from a 4 function calculator to a Compaq SR1620NX with 'additions' in the past 33 years.
My TEXT timeline would be - the mentioned, Commodore calc - then Texas Instrument programmable calcs; TI57, TI58, TI59, Radio Shack computer Model 1, Casio programmable calc FX602P, - Computers; CBM VIC20, C64, Plus4, C16, a Headstart Explorer XT clone, Amiga 600, IBM PS/2, a couple 'put them together yourself' PC clones, an Emachine T1100, an Emachine T2200 and finally my current Compaq SR1620NX PC. This doesn't take into account my hobby of collecting old 8-bit computers. This is just my natural progression through my 'daily use' computers.

my first computer was a Leading Edge model M. it was an XT clone. if i recall correctly, it had a turbo mode that could do near 8 mhz. i'm pretty sure that company is out of business by now. i haven't heard the name mentioned anywhere since around the mid-90's.

i wish i still had that computer. here's a pic i found online of one. that's the exact same monitor we had and everything.

leadingedge.jpg

ah that brings back memories.

I became interested in old computers... I don't know, a few years ago. But I guess my first one was a compaq portable my uncle gave me maybe a year go, when I was 14. No boot disks, though I found them in a box a few months ago. After that I got an XT that wouldn't boot (that's when I joined here), and then... yeah.

I used to have a leading edge 386, but I trashed it after I pulled out everything that might still work (pretty much everything but the mobo. I don't even know if what I pulled out works :p)

Well, my first computer was a Tandy 1000 SX, which I got as a going away gift from my sister in 1998. I have plenty of fond memories of that machine, such as spending a week home from high school with chicken pox playing Ultima VI and Burger Blaster, making up badly programmed BASIC text adventures using goto, if than next print cls and hundreads of other stuff I perused from the Tandy 1000 SX user guide (it had it's own BASIC guide in the back of the manual).

After that, I went about 6 months computerless in 2000, and got my first internet-enabled computer in 2001, a 1992 Flight 386 SX, which I swapped the motherboard in with a ZEOS Upgradeable Systems mainboard with a 486/33 CPU. From then on I started the endless tirade of hunting recycle bins, dumpsters, thrift shops, flea markets, and other odd spots where old computer hardware could be found to soup up the Flight and other equally as obsolete machines, eventually leading to a successive upgrades.

However, my fondness for old hardware goes back farther, to when I was a little kid. I grew up in the age when all this computer stuff was coming of age. I remember first seeing an IBM XT showing a pie chart on the screen in kindergarden. I remember when the entire library, was populated with IBM PS/2 Model 25 series machines. I had class periods in the computer labs running everything from IBM PS/2 model 30 286 boxes to IBM PS/2 Model 70 386 and even finding out that a Model 80 was the main server for the schools LAN.

I remember when we got EduQuests and Windows 3.1, playing Oregon Trail and some Science bicycle game in 7th Grade. I remember leading Edge 486's in Technology class and playing Sim Earth, only to go to my sister's college home on the weekends and indulge in hours of my older sister's 80's record collection while playing Monkey Island, Wheel of Fortune, Ultima, Dungeons and Dragons, Pirates of the Barbary coast, while occasionally drawing pictures in Harvard Graphics 3.0 on her 386.

I remember learning about macs from my buddy William down the street from my sisters, and going to the Saba's up the street and playing Mario is Missing on their brand new Gateway 2000 486, or going to the Auburn library and surfing the internet before everything went to Perl, CSS, Java, Flash, and anything else you can name. When pictures took 20 minutes to load, downloads of 32KB actually had a wait time. When newsgroups were far more commonplace, and when IRC was the only chat on the block. I witnessed the beginnings of Yahoo!, Webcrawler, Google, on-site Chat Forums, Built In Chatrooms, E-bay, Paypal, and web commerce in general. I watched Geocities go from a pile of simple little HTML Pages made by college students to a huge glam-fest.

I've got some long memories with the IBM PC. I've watched DOS come and go from the mainstream, and Windows grow from an easy to use Kludge to an "essential" on every mainstream PC. I remember when Diablo came out and all the rage, as I did Doom, Halo, Sim City 2000, and loads of the newer software titles that lead to today. I remember playing Wolfenstein 3-D with Jonathan some weekends......

So much of it is my memories of the good ole' days. Even though back then we were often rather tightly controlled when it came to operating the computer. That stuff was all really expensive back then, so to me vintage computing is like living out the things I never could do because those machines were expensive and out of reach in my younger years. It's almost saddening for me to see a poor neglected PC/XT/AT/386/486/Pentium or whatever go to the dump, especially if it still works and is up to the task of doing a job.

For me it was mostly working in an environment where I could acquire decomissioned computers and components for free (or at very little cost), on a fairly regular basis.

I originally started out using most of the stuff I collected to repair other peoples computers. Memory upgrades, psu replacements, pretty basic things...

I've only owned one store bought computer in my life (10 MHZ Laser Turbo XT) and I used it daily for quite a long time. My next step was to build my first, all on my own, 25 MHZ 386. I was soooooooooooooooooooo proud of that machine and I have been building ever since.

Over time, with the bits of knowledge I gained by building my own machines, I kind of became the favored computer repair guy for friends, family and co-workers. I suppose in part because I was pretty good at it, but I suspect that my "Hey, I'll work on just about anything for pizza and beer", pricing policy may have helped a little also. :sly:

I never really felt the desire to expand my repair work any farther than that, I just wanted to learn a little bit along the way and have some fun.

Before I knew it, I had way more parts in stock, than actual computers to work on and the incoming stuff just kept piling up.

That's what lead to the decision to try and see how much of it I could reassemble back into the original machines they once were.

It's turning out to be great fun and challenging. I really should have started doing this sooner than I did.

My father was the first to be interested in computers. He began with a Commodore 64 bought when I born (1986). He wrote on it games I played when I was child. He is a doctor, and he bought another computer for his work, a 286. In 1992 he upgraded to a 486, so gave me the 286. My first computer!
Broken floppy disk drive, 20MB hard drive, DRDos, qbasic, newsmaster, framework II and a few games. Hercules monocrome graphic card and monitor.
I learned a bit of basic, I wrote my homework, I loved that pc!
My father had also a big collection of home computer magazines: entire summers reading, and reading and dreaming that computers!
Then it came the Pentium I and the things changed... colours, mouse... there wasn't more "real" computers. No more shell, no more red writings...
Some years ago, when ebay was ibazar (here in Italy) I played with mac 68k emulators and fell in love with Apple System :-D So I bought on ibazar a Machintosh LC complete with disks, manuals and printer.
The first item for my collection...!
Some years after I found on ebay a broken Powerbook 190CS. I repaired it and used for some time...
Only few months ago I decided to start seriously collecting them. I bought an Amstrad PPC-640 and found a Philips PC-100.
I observed that I am interested in all the pcs I dreamed reading my father's magazines. In particular, I'm searcing for a strange model, an osborne with lcd half-size display (I don't remember the name). I couldn't find information about it on the web, I have only the article in the computer magazine...
Uh! I wrote too much... How much memories...

well in my childhood years i really never thought of collecting anything (besides toads), it all started when my older brother gave me his C64 and Amiga back in 1998, then i got the urge to replay all the games i used to love as a kid. And when i got hold of a couple of old PC games i hunted down my old 386 from the attic and the rest is history so to say. ;)

My start in vintage computers

My start in vintage computers

Back when I started my interest in computers there was no such thing as vintage in 1978. My first computer was a TRS-80 Model 1 (which I still have). My next computer was a VIC-20. I gave the VIC away and bought an Amiga A-1000. After the 1000 I got caught up in Commodore 64's, TRS-80 Model III's and 4's. I finally got into PC's and Mac's. My preference is still my Amiga (4000 toaster).

Back when I started my interest in computers there was no such thing as vintage in 1978. My first computer was a TRS-80 Model 1 (which I still have).

I to started with a Model 1 and moved next to the VIC20. I never tire of seeing Model 1's (very nostalgic)

Do you happen to have a picture of your Model 1 you could post up in here?
========================================================
I went back through some scans and found a couple pictures of my old computers.
Here's a vintage picture of my son, now age 38, using my original TRS80 Model 1, back around 1980 or so.

picture.php

I even found an old picture of my son probably circa 1983 here, using my Commodore VIC20

picture.php

Back