• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

new multisession web server download

I don't know much about networking, but how do you get the server to be accesable through the internet? Is it possible to give it a WWW domain instead of a IRC domain? or is it easiest to just type the IP in the adress bar?

I don't know much about networking, but how do you get the server to be accesable through the internet? Is it possible to give it a WWW domain instead of a IRC domain? or is it easiest to just type the IP in the adress bar?

well, there isn't any such sing as an irc or a www domain. a domain is a domain is a domain, which can be named whatever you want. irc.rubbermallet.org already pointed to my internet IP, so i just use that.

basically, once you've set up QUIKSERV properly (test it by just using your LAN to browse to it) you need to configure your router to forward incoming requests for port 80 (or whatever you may have changed it to in the QUIKSERV.INI file) to the LAN IP address of your QUIKSERV machine.

once that's done correctly, yes it's easiest to give out your IP for people to browse to it. you can also use a free hostname provider like dyndns.org or dtdns.com to get yourself an easy-to-remember domain name that you can set to be equivalent to your internet IP for people to use.

i'm bad at explaining things, i hope this helps!

I do think though that most ISPs, like mine, don't allow servers. I'm not sure they'd notice if the traffic was low but it might be prudent to find out.

So what I need to do to get my 486 to host is:

1. Set jumpers on my card (in my cause, an ISA CN600E Rev B without Boot ROM. 10MBit/Sec) to not make any conflicts (I might use the Try-and-fail methode).
2. Insert the card into the computer
3. Configure router
4. Install the packet driver (on int 0x61h)
5. Install NTCPDRV
6. Run QuikServ
7. Thest the conection over LAN
8. Get a domain from an ISP if I don't want to spread my IP

BTW, is it the IP of the router or the IP of the computer/server I should use to acces the server from outside a LAN network?

I was also thinking of using a browser such as Arachne on the computer. Do I need to install NTCPDRV in order to do that, or do I get around with just the packet driver?

Last edited:
So what I need to do to get my 486 to host is:

1. Set jumpers on my card (in my cause, an ISA CN600E Rev B without Boot ROM. 10MBit/Sec) to not make any conflicts (I might use the Try-and-fail methode).
2. Insert the card into the computer
3. Configure router
4. Install the packet driver (on int 0x61h)
5. Install NTCPDRV
6. Run QuikServ
7. Thest the conection over LAN
8. Get a domain from an ISP if I don't want to spread my IP

BTW, is it the IP of the router or the IP of the computer/server I should use to acces the server from outside a LAN network?

I was also thinking of using a browser such as Arachne on the computer. Do I need to install NTCPDRV in order to do that, or do I get around with just the packet driver?

the IP of the computer is what you need to configure to be port forwarded. before you run NTCPDRV, it is best to configure a static IP for the server. type this at the DOS prompt:

set IP=x.x.x.x
set NETMASK=x.x.x.x
set GATEWAY=x.x.x.x

and of course replace the x's with proper values for your LAN. for example, if your router's LAN IP is 192.168.1.1 you should use an IP such as 192.168.1.10 or any other valid address outside of your router's DHCP pool.

arachne has it's own TCP/IP stack built into it, so all you need to use it is the packet driver.

I do think though that most ISPs, like mine, don't allow servers. I'm not sure they'd notice if the traffic was low but it might be prudent to find out.

yeah. it is best to check first. i'm using charter cable here in st. louis, and they don't seem to mind - i've been running servers of all sorts for a good 8 years.

I've been busy at work again and neglecting the hobby, but congratulations on what looks like a very usable piece of software! Now do a little more programming, and turn it into a web forum server. :)

I've been busy at work again and neglecting the hobby, but congratulations on what looks like a very usable piece of software! Now do a little more programming, and turn it into a web forum server. :)

thanks mike!

you know what, i have been seriously thinking about CGI support. today i've been working on the integrated FTP server, and as of now it's getting pretty close to finished.

there is a FTPUSERS.INI file that you can enter usernames, password, and root path into. this way you can have your admin account access absolutely everything on the computer remotely. at the same time you can make a "user" account for anybody that you want to give webspace to on the server, and they won't be able to recurse dirs and damage anything that doesn't belong to them.

sometime tomorrow, i'll put this up for everybody to play with. even if you don't intend to run a web server 24/7, now it is still a great utility to have anyway. it doesn't get any easier to access files on an old machine than an FTP server. :)

you can even disable either the HTTP or FTP server separately. that way, if you're on like an 8088 and just want to get in via FTP it will be about twice as fast when you disable the HTTP stuff.

the FTP server portion of the code is coming along nicely. does anybody want webspace on the 286 to help me test it all out? :p

there is well over 200 MB free on my 286, just begging to be used up! let me know and i'll make you an account + folder on the server.

oh yeah HAY GUISE! check out the speed on an 8088 serving the pages from a RAM disk ("vgadisk" technically. 176 KB RAM disk using only the VGA card's graphical memory area, text mode apps still run file)

http://irc.rubbermallet.org:8088/index.htm

Last edited:
Back