• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Ibm 6150-125

coleshomefurnishers

Hi Guys

We are selling an IBM 6150-125 on eBay at the moment and just wanted to spread the word around some sites that may have interested persons.

Hope you don't mind.

Here's the link to the listing - IBM 6150-125.

Thanks

I couldn't resist, I opened the bidding. If I should win, I'll gladly donate it to any transpondian who is willing & able to retrieve it. (If the ol' battleaxe won't let ya keep it, at least drop it off at one of your many fine museums).

--T

reason why I was only watching it, is because it is minus hard drives, without ESDI drives, and a relevant copy of AIX, it's a doorstop. AFAIK ESDI drives were rare enough in the 1990s never mind 20 years on.:(

woop!

woop!

Well I picked up the 6150 yesterday after quite a grueling drive.
(For those who don't know, British roads are a little slow, especially in the Birmingham area, as an example, the traffic reports for last Friday warned people that if they were going north on the M6 there was a stop-start queue from central Birmingham, all the way to the exit for north Manchester about 90 miles away! Not an entirely unusual occurence)

But to cut a long story short, I was introduced to the machine's predecessor, a pdp-11/44 that was due for the dump, and amazingly the predecessor to that, a Systime 5000 (a rebadged pdp-11/34 built into a nice desk) two 30MB removable pack disk drives and a huge "band" printer which had all been tucked away in a little side room in the warehouse for the last 20 years. Much re-packing of my van later and it's mine-all-mine HAAHAAHAAA!!!!!

Totally made up actually! Cheers Terry!

pictures to follow when I can get into my garage again!

Well I picked up the 6150 yesterday after quite a grueling drive.
(For those who don't know, British roads are a little slow, especially in the Birmingham area, as an example, the traffic reports for last Friday warned people that if they were going north on the M6 there was a stop-start queue from central Birmingham, all the way to the exit for north Manchester about 90 miles away! Not an entirely unusual occurence)

But to cut a long story short, I was introduced to the machine's predecessor, a pdp-11/44 that was due for the dump, and amazingly the predecessor to that, a Systime 5000 (a rebadged pdp-11/34 built into a nice desk) two 30MB removable pack disk drives and a huge "band" printer which had all been tucked away in a little side room in the warehouse for the last 20 years. Much re-packing of my van later and it's mine-all-mine HAAHAAHAAA!!!!!

Totally made up actually! Cheers Terry!

pictures to follow when I can get into my garage again!

Show me the blinkenlights!!! Not a bad haul then for two quid, eh? (I get sum'n right once in awhile).

--T

Schweet!

I have a PDP-11/44 coming my way soon too.

I'd love to see pics on the disk drives and the line printer (Is it an LP25? http://vt100.net/docs/tp83/chapter16.html)

It's the LP27 actually, 1200 lines per minute :eek: it's probably going to cost a tenner in paper just to run it up! That's going to be the major problem to get up into the loft, it took all 4 of us just to lift it out of the van, and the mechanism is huge. I daren't call on my remaining mates to help, because then I'd have none at all!

Not many blinkenlights in a 34 or 44 sadly, although it should all make good noises.

The 6150 was a steal at £2! worth it just for the mint 5151 monitor, & the keyboard so well cared for it has the plastic shipping cover intact. I think it's all spent it's life in the dark so no oxy action required either!

Apparently there's also a heap of documentation & some possibly (but probably not too) faulty terminals waiting for me on the return trip. I must keep the guys well buttered-up ;)

Last edited:
I think some of the PS/2 Model 60 or 80 came with ESDI drives.
I have a Model 60, will need to crack that beast open and
see whats in there.

BTW, is the system you guys are talking about a PC/RT ?
I have a copy of the blue 6150 HW Maintenance and Service
manual, still in shrinkwrap. Picked it up off eBay a long time ago
for a few bucks just out of curiousity. Been tempted to open
it but haven't really had the time.

No kidding on the ESDI drives. I managed to find one to fix a IBM P70. Yes, it was expensive.

BTW, is the system you guys are talking about a PC/RT ?
I have a copy of the blue 6150 HW Maintenance and Service
manual, still in shrinkwrap. Picked it up off eBay a long time ago
for a few bucks just out of curiousity. Been tempted to open
it but haven't really had the time.

Yes it is a PC/RT. There's quite a bit of info out there regarding the system, and a small users group.

The chap that sold it apparently still has the drives, but is very reluctant to part with them as they have confidential info on. If he still had the system he could have low level formatted them.

Kelly (kb2syd) also has a couple he's willing to let me have, but I'm holding off till I know I can't get any over here. the other (maybe possible) alternative is to put an IDE card in. but I don't know how AIX will deal with it. maybe someone else will have answered that question for me.

The other sad thing is that he also (a.f.a.i.k.) has the disk packs, but can't let them go for the same reason. it would be very easy just to run a degausser over them, but without the servo track they are just elegant circular toast racks. Re-writing the servo tracks was the work of a small team for several years where I used to work (ok, a general purpose machine to do so, but it's no trivial task).

Last edited:
It's a real shame that is in the wrong side of the pond.
I have a dozen or so ESDI drives ranging from 20Mb to 120Mb and a copy of AIX 1.3

Wrong side of the pond is par for the course!

I'm hoping that I might come up trumps in the next week or two. the chap has raided the loft (of a department store - that's big!) and come up with, amongst other things, a big box of documentation for the 6150. That may include the AIX installs & documentation.

I'm also keeping my fingers crossed that I can come to some sort of agreement regarding the confidential info & disk hardware.

Watch this space....

I'm also keeping my fingers crossed that I can come to some sort of agreement regarding the confidential info & disk hardware.

Watch this space....

Just tell him that if he tosses the disks it would be next to impossible to get them replaced OR wipe the drives in front of the guy before you drag it off home.

Sounds like a complete wipe won't fly unless the install media is available. He'll have to go thru file-by-file and disappear all the proprietary data while preserving the software necessary to keep the machine running.

Nige, I'm sure you'll be able to convince them that you are a true professional in the field who won't use their customer data for nefarious purposes.

--T

OK, here's what you do.

Build a box with lots of flashing lights, meters and switches on it. Put a 5" reflector behind glass and bayonet a #5 flashbulb into a socket. Put a 10 second delay timer in it. Have it make all kinds of appropriate noises then apply current to the flashbuld.

Silkscreen Wide Area EMP Media Bulk Eraser on the top.

Back