• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Hello from southern AZ

NTEPB

Hi everybody. Well, I finally decided to stop lurking these forums and register.

First things first...wow, I can't believe how many knowledgeable people are on this site! There are too many people here to thank for giving me the motivation to blow the dust off of these old computers and resurrect them. So I'd like to pass on to everyone here my thanks! :D

About me...well, I've been working on IBM PC (and compatible) systems for years...still love them to this day. I have a very soft spot for my beloved PCjrs (yes, I know mbbrutman quite well ;)). When I can get an accurate count of everything that still works, I'll have to list them in the vintage computer collection forum (it's quite a bit). And don't even get me started on how many different expansion cards I have lying around.

As for now, when I'm not working on my old systems, I'm a computer consultant (part-time). Thank god for modern (and inefficient) Windows programming...makes me quite a bit of money. :mrgreen: I also repair older cars, and I'm also a singer and musician (for anyone who cares).

My dad couldn't believe how many people (like me) still work on these old systems to this day...and he's the one who got me started on the whole PCjr thing years ago. Go figure! Maybe I'll twist his arm into registering.

Current projects...let's see...getting my dad's old IBM workstation running again (IBM 5160 PC-XT with 5161 expansion unit), archiving my dad's diskettes (only a few thousand 360KB floppies), resurrecting some old 10MB hard drives, getting my XT-compatible 8088 10MHz to work with its built-in 8-bit IDE interface...you know, little projects! :rolleyes:

Thanks again!

Jon (NTEPB)

Welcome Jon!

I too like the PC Jr. - now if I only had one . . . there are so many nice machines - and so little space.
Post up some pictures of your prized machines, when you can. I see you mention a large collection, but we all have our favorites in our collection - perhaps some PC Jr. pictures.
Glad to have aboard another who values the vintage computers :)

You sound like my kida of guy... Nice to see someone sticking to IBM's like me. I am sure you would enjoy my site so be sure and check it out at http://vintageibm.vintage-computer.com/ is your 5161 complete with's it's two sending cards and cable?

I also "play" around with old cars too, I had a 1949 caddy 4 door but must sell it due to hard times and it needs way too much work. But I think I might be getting a replacement project car that don't need that much work a 1970 Deville Fleetwood 4 door with a 472 Cu. In. high compression V-8.

Anyway welcome to the fourms and hope to hear more about your IBM projects!

Hi everybody. Well, I finally decided to stop lurking these forums and register.

First things first...wow, I can't believe how many knowledgeable people are on this site! There are too many people here to thank for giving me the motivation to blow the dust off of these old computers and resurrect them. So I'd like to pass on to everyone here my thanks! :D

About me...well, I've been working on IBM PC (and compatible) systems for years...still love them to this day. I have a very soft spot for my beloved PCjrs (yes, I know mbbrutman quite well ;)). When I can get an accurate count of everything that still works, I'll have to list them in the vintage computer collection forum (it's quite a bit). And don't even get me started on how many different expansion cards I have lying around.

As for now, when I'm not working on my old systems, I'm a computer consultant (part-time). Thank god for modern (and inefficient) Windows programming...makes me quite a bit of money. :mrgreen: I also repair older cars, and I'm also a singer and musician (for anyone who cares).

My dad couldn't believe how many people (like me) still work on these old systems to this day...and he's the one who got me started on the whole PCjr thing years ago. Go figure! Maybe I'll twist his arm into registering.

Current projects...let's see...getting my dad's old IBM workstation running again (IBM 5160 PC-XT with 5161 expansion unit), archiving my dad's diskettes (only a few thousand 360KB floppies), resurrecting some old 10MB hard drives, getting my XT-compatible 8088 10MHz to work with its built-in 8-bit IDE interface...you know, little projects! :rolleyes:

Thanks again!

Jon (NTEPB)

It's quite interesting how the classic/vintage car thing tends to be a re-occuring interest amongst vintage computer owners :D

Welcome, btw :)

It's quite interesting how the classic/vintage car thing tends to be a re-occuring interest amongst vintage computer owners :D
. . .

The thread is slipping to old cars from old computers . . .

A fondness here too for vintage machinery. I only have my 03 Taurus now, but I tell you back in the day - those awesome 60's, I had muscle cars galore, Comet Cyclone, Corvette StingRay, SS396 Chevelle, a Camaro, and in the early 70's a Javalin - ah yes, those were the days. Not only was I fortunate enough to live 'thru' the dawning of computers, but also lived 'thru' the the 60's muscle cars era, and had my share of it!

My car makes the ten-year rule, lol.

IBM can be a hobby unto itself, with no other makes coming close to the attention to detail that was shown. I'd like to see a few pics, too. Glad you found us and decided to join. Yeah, these guys rock.

Nathan

Hi and welcome . Great collection. I'm with you guys. I prefer anything vintage that I can tinker with. Unfortunately, moving around with the military keeps me from keeping a lot of the toys I have found over the years. You can see the one thing I won't part with, my 76 Beetle at http://www.joes-bugs.com. Sadly I had to sell the truck but it went to a deserving Mopar truck lover in New Mexico. The 55 Beetle was just to far gone to save, but some of the parts went to help other restoration projects. That is my idea of recycling.

In Texas, where I had the VW registered up until I shipped it to Germany a month ago, any vehicle over 25 years old could qualifiy for antique vehicle plates. It just can't be a daily driver. If you check the different vintage car publications you'll get a lot of different information on what is considered "vintage", "Classic" and "Antique". It really doesn't matter to me. A nice old vehicle, computer, or almost any kind of old machine is vintage to me.

In Texas, where I had the VW registered up until I shipped it to Germany a month ago...
You shipped it back to where it came from? I don't think they'll let you return it anymore LOL

j/k So you're headed to Germany? Sounds fun. Tony's Pizza places all over. I was in Hanau.

Nathan

Hello and Welcome!

Hello and Welcome!

Nice to see there are some vintage car enthusiasts among us too! I'm working on my dad's old 1960 MGA

-John

I had a Corvette!

I always wanted one and in 1965 I bought one! Had to pay full sticker of $4600. too. Outrageous. Here I am with it in 1965.

Egads! I was a tad younger back then :)

Back