• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Goodbyes

Grrr ...

Asking you not to get us in legal trouble by posting links to abandonware should not cause you to take your ball and go home. Some of what you are distributing is owned by copyright holders with attitude problems, like Microsoft and Electronic Arts. Nobody said don't do it - we just told you not to use these forums for doing it.

We are not applying any special rules to you that we haven't asked other people to abide by.

It's not like we are out to get you. I did give you the IBM PC BBS discs which you were quite proud of.

Grow up.

Thanks to mbbrutman and Erik, I am leaving the fourm, ..Etc, etc..!

Eric, I hope you wrote this is haste, and will change your mind on reflection.

Asking people not to use this forum to publicise links which may get the forum owners in trouble is reasonable. Some of these copyright owners have deep pockets and hordes of lawyers. Erik is providing this as a free service to foster a community and we can't expect him to shoulder those risks, even if we perceive them to be small.

I know of one archive website where the owner was harrassed by copyright holders of what most considered abandonware. Eventually, the archive was closed, so it does happen.

Your effort in documenting original PC stuff to share has been a great asset to this community. So has your help to me personally, which I am grateful for. I hope you will reconsider your decision.

Tez

Yes, you were NOT singled out. There has been a consistent effort to keep this forum out of trouble with copyright owners. "Mountain out of a molehill" comes to mind. Or maybe the old "Kick Me" sign on the back. Pretty stupid to say come and get me.

I'm very new to this forum, and I don't know all the people involved, but everyone here seems to be a very reasonable sort. Frozenfire, you seem to be a very active, knowledgable poster here, and I hope you do reconsider as what everyone has said above is accurate - a great deal of trouble can be had by not taking copyright into consideration, trouble both for yourself and for the forum. For what my personal view is worth, don't shortchange yourself and everyone here over something such as this...I would certainly like to be able to call on you in the future if I need some advice with my 5150 and it certainly seems like you have a great deal of passion for the hobby.

Like docred, I too am relatively new here but I share his feelings. I think frozenfire75i is a valuable member here and would suggest that it would be nice if he stayed.

frozenfire75i: Often the best people at something are those that are the most passionate. That goes with the territory. Sometimes it's hard to reconcile all ones feelings and ideas at the same time but let me suggest that your decision to leave is possibly not in everyone's best interest. :)

They are all right frozen one! In my very first post in this forum,
I was yelled at so loud that my ears are still ringing..... :hide:
There have been many people who have come and gone in this forum,
but the ones that stayed are those who are persistent and passionate.
Of all those people, Erik is the most enthusiastic who is putting so much
time and money to hold the whole thing together. There have been other
forum comrades in the past who have been addressed for similar issues, and
you are not an exception.

We were getting used to the name "frozenfire", it would be great to
have you with us.....

ziloo

p.s. When it comes to breaking every single code of decency, ethics, and
proper conduct, you have the grandmaster champion "Terry the magnificent" :innocent2:
And he is still around and well :biggrin: ................

I thought you only became senior member after being 'yelled at' by mbbrutman... :D
So count out your fellows.

By all means, why do you take that personal? Because I'm sure its not.
I'm happy that moderators are watching this closely, because if anything happened its not you that would receive trouble- its the site owner.
And that, knowing those companies, would mean no more VCF Forum.

I'm quite sure that is a last stand anyone here would like to defend.

So, Frozenfire, please cool down (no pun intended..) and please keep making us and yourself happy with contributions like 99,9% of the other things you gave us..

Last edited:
Hi Jorg,

Thanks for the thought .. the check is in the mail!

Mike

On a more serious note, I can assure all of you that there was no 'yelling' and that we tried to handle this privately with the legal issue explained in crystal clear terms. I personally am not here to drive people out - if we don't try to keep questionable content off the forum then Erik gets exposed. Moderators are just here to help because there is only one Erik and this isn't the only part of his life. (Nor mine.) And if we don't keep the threads somewhat sorted and on topic, then this devolves into a chat line.

Last edited:
Mike, I know how you and Erik handle these kind of things, and it can be put as 'most respectful' I think. The reference to 'yelling' I put between quotes- where it belongs.

I really hope frozenfire will see that, it is good to have him here.
(And I want a copy of his IBM BBS discs, of course.. :D)

I don't know why really, but it seems a person is much less tolerant of the written word than the spoken word. When you actually talk with someone, it's a whole different ballgame - there is eye contact, body language, and a host of other essentials that are missing in written words. Example; have you ever had an email that you got your 'dander up' about - perhaps someone's 'advice' or minor criticism, or whatever, and you take offense of it rather quickly - knowing that 'in person' it would probably be joked away or had a more toned down meaning. Words can hurt. We should all carefully choose our words when writing because you can't take them back. :)

Mike, I know how you and Erik handle these kind of things, and it can be put as 'most respectful' I think. The reference to 'yelling' I put between quotes- where it belongs.

I really hope frozenfire will see that, it is good to have him here.
(And I want a copy of his IBM BBS discs, of course.. :D)

And that's the way I read it, and why I'm sending the fake check. :)

I still have the IBM PC BBS discs, and shortly Trixter will have them. As I said before in the original thread, if anybody wants a copy send me a PM. I'm not going to run to the post office for each request, but as I send other parts around I'll distribute the discs.

Some credit goes to http://www.walshcomptech.com/, where I got my copy of the discs.

vint said:
Words can hurt. We should all carefully choose our words when writing because you can't take them back.

Good point, and the converse is true too - people should read the words, and in the absence of other visual cues not overreact.

:violin:
A forum is not a democracy, rather the opposite. The site owner together with his or her moderators set the rules, sometimes after listening to the other members, but not necessarily doing so. If most members disagree with the rules, they move to another forum. In this case however, most of us seem to understand and accept the rules, even if not even I agree on all decisions.

FF,

I have a saying I'm fond of quoting to people it this sort of situation and you're going to be the beneficiary this time. Think it over carefully.

"Everyone is entitled to be the author of their own destruction"

Do what you think is best and, Bon Chance

this copy-right deal is not the only thing affecting my choice to leave this fourm. There was a number of orther things that happened before this that turned me off about this place.

Any details about these? I'm always open to advice and constructive criticism, but I'm not aware of any other issues you've had.

They are all right frozen one! In my very first post in this forum,
I was yelled at so loud that my ears are still ringing..... :hide:

<BlahBlah snipped>

ziloo

p.s. When it comes to breaking every single code of decency, ethics, and
proper conduct, you have the grandmaster champion "Terry the magnificent" :innocent2:
And he is still around and well :biggrin: ................

Boy, tezza's ears must be ringing now too...

--T

frozenfire75i said:
Oh mike **** you, for telling me to grow up!

Calm down matey - Being told to grow up by Mr mbbrutman is rarely personal - indeed some of our older members seemed to have skipped that completely ;)

In fact, mbbrutman rarely says anything personal or vindictive, if ever. Just sometimes, as Vint said, it's very easy to misinterpret tone in writing.

Just remember that you have stumbled across a forum with some extremely knowledgable and helpfully-inclined members - I wouldn't burn your bridges, just in case.

Matthew.

Back