• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Congratulatons Americans

Micom 2000

Veteran Member
With political commentary no longer allowed I must beg your indulgence, but most of the world, including us canucks congratulate the inauguration of the first black president and the expulsion of the rabid right from power represented so fittingly by the now reviled George W Bush.

With the challenges facing Obama I have no great hopes dependent upon him but a "Change has Come" which will resonate in the western world as well as the ghettoes in the United States. The genie is out of the bottle and will be hard-put to be placed back in.

I married a US Afro-American in 1961, had 4 sons and now 9 grandchildren. I was very involved in the civil-rights struggles and never expected the US to elect a black president in my lifetime. This gives me hope that americans will fulfll the kernel of decency embodied in the Declaration of Independence by the foundng fathers and become what it once represented.

My warm salutations on this historic day.

Lawrence

Last edited:
I have been waiting a long time for the departure of Darth Vader from the presidency. The last 8 years have been some of the darkest days this country has ever seen.
I am waiting to see the world reaction to Bush leaving office. Probably the biggest party ever thrown.

Keep it fair and nobody will have to intervene in this thread.

That being said, it's a historic day here. I guess I'm young enough that I never doubted (or cared) what the skin color of the president could be. But it is refreshing to have that belief confirmed for real.

Now for the heavy lifting.

Ditto to the compliments and achievements. It was nice to have a selection of firsts no matter the turn out, first female president, first minority president, etc.

As for the stereotypes here, we've been fine with it for years I'm sure, just never had anyone really run..although it comes down to mostly who has the most money now adays which is a flawed process. Either way, it's an "indirect" democracy so we the people don't always get what we want each year ;o) but this time a lot of us were heard. Trust me coming from a democratic town in a republican state it gets tiresome even pretending our vote gets heard.

Regardless, congrats to this historic day.

Whoa!! Heavy lifting is right! We all will "stay tuned".

Hmm 29 degrees F with 25 mph gusts right now, brrrrrr in DC, no wonder the pianist had half gloves on!

Last edited:
Congratulations Americans

Congratulations Americans

Micon 2000 enthused...Congratulations Americans
And it only took us 8 years to get Bush out, and only 220 years to get something else in there besides a White Anglo-Saxon male.
Sorry it takes us so long to get out heads of our a***s.

patscc

I am 40 years old and don't see his skin color as a big deal, but my parents who are 65 and 75 do.

Sooner or later a women will get elected as well. What I realy want to see is if an athiest or non "standard" religious type ever gets elected. If you recal there was a fuss about Kennedy being Irish Catholic back in the 60's. Could you imagine an athiest or a harry chrisna trying to get elected? We have come a long way but some things have yet to change.

I'd like to see an alternative religion get in office too. A whole other political argument there that I'll leave alone (we all know what it is).

I'm pretty sure I saw it here but someone mentioned "The Daily Show" saying "Congratulations America, we've finally nominated the first Hawaiian president." I found that amusing. But correct or not I do still realize it's a big day for moving forward, not that I think there was a problem with it prior.

I think the primary law that's still intact and interesting is no foreign born presidents. I don't have a say in the matter, I just think it's interesting. I can understand as I'm sure it was in place to prevent some other country trying to take over via presidency.. although I'm still not smart enough to realize why our capitol is in the district of columbia..

I am 40 years old and don't see his skin color as a big deal, but my parents who are 65 and 75 do.

Sooner or later a women will get elected as well. What I realy want to see is if an athiest or non "standard" religious type ever gets elected. If you recal there was a fuss about Kennedy being Irish Catholic back in the 60's. Could you imagine an athiest or a harry chrisna trying to get elected? We have come a long way but some things have yet to change.

I think you missed the part about the Mormon in the Republican Primaries this past year. ;)

Imagine that fit blown up about 100 times. I'd just grab some popcorn and watch the news. :D

I think it says a LOT for this country in that 50 years ago, Obama wouldn't have been able to drink at the same water fountains that I could and now he's President! Yeah, we still have our share of bigots but we have come a long way!

I'm just going to be patient and see how he does in his first 100 days in office. Hopefully he'll kick some butt and get some stuff done to repair our reputation.

Well up north we never had segregation anyway, lots of free blacks up north even before the civil war.

We have comunists running for president every year and none get elected either (same with KKK clan members not currently in office). McCain wanted the mormon as his running mate and the party said NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, we want an elk gutting soccer mom instead. This country is still very touchy about religion and sexual orientation, more then skin color or sex. Atleast we quit burning witches at the stake a while back.

Religion: Whatever happened to separation of church & state? I'd rather the religion of candidates remain unknown to the public. In Michigan, we got past the Mormon thing long ago, but in all fairness, (although I hate to say it about a Republican), George Romney, who served several terms, turned out to be one of the better Governors in my lifetime. (Although I have to admit, one candidate scared even me, as I was a 'member' of (dragged, kicking & screaming through the doors of) the same church for 8 years, and I know exactly what they believe<shiver>).

Race: Non-issue, no comment. Folks is folks.

Politics: <Locking lips, throwing key away>. Grrrr...

Obama, the man, the candidate, the President: Has proven very effective at selling his p'ticular brand of Snake Oil to the American people: HOPE. My only hope is that he is able to even begin to live up to everyone's (larger than life?) expectations.

American people: Wake up! The man is only a man, he can't perform miracles. He can only work with what he's been left to work with. Lets see how he looks after the honeymoon is over.

--T

Religion: Whatever happened to separation of church & state? ...............
Who knows, I think its a matter of obfuscation. The real church has changed. Sundown and everyone is down on their knees in front of the TV - and they haven't figured it out. lol

Race: Non-issue, no comment. Folks is folks. ....................
I think thats how it should be for many of us - but I do respect the (at least perceived) triumph of some, particularly older, black folk. (check out my new blog :))

American people: Wake up! The man is only a man, he can't perform miracles. He can only work with what he's been left to work with. Lets see how he looks after the honeymoon is over. --T
Yep, I bet many people will be disappointed. I don't follow American politics that well, but isn't that how it always goes anyway?

Yep, I bet many people will be disappointed. I don't follow American politics that well, but isn't that how it always goes anyway?

How did that Inspector guy in Cassablanca put it? "He's just a man, like any other man...only more so."

I'm afraid that so many people are expecting so much from him, there's going to be a big letdown, no matter how good he turns out to be.

--T

I have to agree with you Terry.

The news media is certainly going to town on this one. Even outside the USA. I've never seen so much hype.

Now don't get me wrong. This election of an Afro-american as president of the USA is a watershed event and will rightly go down in history. Obama also seems a very good man, intelligent, inspirational, strong and a likely agent of unity. I sure would have voted for him had I been a U.S. citizen.

But he is not a wizard or a supernatural being. The US (and the world) is facing some very, very serious problems. What worries me is that people (and in this I guess I mean news media) seemed to have raised Obama to a "Messiah-like" status. The danger of such wildly raised expectations is that no-one can ever meet them. So after the honeymoon comes despondancy, disallusionment and anger.

I hope the US people have the patience to work through the issues and realise there are no quick-fixes in this messy, complicated world we live in. That being said, I can think of no-one better for the US (and possibly all of us) than he who was elected.

Tez

watching bush officially leave office felt like america took one huge collective s***... the kind that takes 8 long years of hard pushing to do. sorry for the imagery, but that's the best way i can put it.

now the question is.... is obama really going to be much better? i guess time will tell, but i'm optimistic about it. i wonder how the country is going to look 1 or 2 years from now.

a new president is always an adventure.

I have been waiting a long time for the departure of Darth Vader from the presidency. The last 8 years have been some of the darkest days this country has ever seen.
I am waiting to see the world reaction to Bush leaving office. Probably the biggest party ever thrown.

What the Hell do you want to gain from saying that? BO is an incompetent beast. Bush was a much better man then he will ever be. Close this thread if you want to, delete my post. That's what I get for telling the truth. If the mods delete this post, you better delete chuck's. Everyone is so biased.

Back