• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Hi everyone !5160 reformatting hard disk

hi

hi

I put the original "tandon TM100" floppy and card that came with the machine back in the computer, & the dos 6.2 High density disk is in the drive upon startup it goes into "error press f1" mode then i hit f1 the drive spins and comes on and still boots to basic mode ...so i put the st-225 back in and i get not reading drive i put the other drive in the one with the 3.5 and different card it is in time and date mode then i prompt it to read the floppy or 3.5 and it gives me another "unable to read" error. So what is it? 2 bad floppy drives? Two bad cards? two bad floppy and cards???? thanks:(:confused::confused::confused:

I put the original "tandon TM100" floppy and card that came with the machine back in the computer, & the dos 6.2 High density disk is in the drive upon startup it goes into "error press f1" mode then i hit f1 the drive spins and comes on and still boots to basic mode
The original floppy drive and controller do not support high density 1.2MB disks. They only support low-density (a.k.a. "double density") 360K disks.

ok

ok

i see is there another computer that has the "long card slots " and the 8088 or 80286 processor?? Thats what my setup requires i have a "long" 8 mb card that needs to run off a 80286 or 8088 system?? stumped???:confused:

I think this might help.

Find a 3.5" 1.44MB drive, connect it to the cable as drive A:

On the Sysgen Omnibridge card, locate the 4=position DIP switch marked SW1 (it's at the top of the card near the drive cable connector). Set positons 1 and 2 so that the switches are in the "up" position. If you want to use a 360K B: drive, set 3 and 4 in the "down" position. If you want to use a 1.2MB B: drive, set 3 and 4 down and up, respectively.

You should be able to boot from a 3.5" diskette at this point.

Judging by the position of the latch handle, I'd say it's right-side-up (pointed down). I've never seen any drive that the handle flips upwards on, regardless of it's orientation.
That's why I mentioned it. It's a bit hard to tell in the photo, but the lever looked to me like it was hinged from the bottom, and the large majority of half-height floppy drives have the access LED above the disk slot, not below it.

When in doubt, go by the flywheel. The drive's flywheel should always be on the bottom; I've never seen any exceptions to that rule, even with oddball proprietary drives.

I think this might help.

Find a 3.5" 1.44MB drive, connect it to the cable as drive A:

On the Sysgen Omnibridge card, locate the 4=position DIP switch marked SW1 (it's at the top of the card near the drive cable connector). Set positons 1 and 2 so that the switches are in the "up" position. If you want to use a 360K B: drive, set 3 and 4 in the "down" position. If you want to use a 1.2MB B: drive, set 3 and 4 down and up, respectively.

You should be able to boot from a 3.5" diskette at this point.

not working it says not reading drive a abort retry fail?? Maybe there is some one that could sell me a WORKING one? I feel like im running around in circles here Please help! I think the floppy must be bad :(

slots

slots

Look at the picture.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7f/ISA-slots-winkel.png
The one on the top is a 8-bit slot, for a 8088 PC/XT
The ones on the bottom are 16-bit slots, for a 80286 AT & higher.

Okay, so you have a high-density 1.2 MByte DOS disk.
Do you have a 3.5" DOS boot disk ?

Can you take some pictures of the two (or dual) floppy drive you have in there, and of the cabling ?

Where are you located, by the way ?

Chuck(G), I don't have the manual for the card, so out of curiosity, would you need to change the system board's switches at all ?

patscc

Chuck(G), I don't have the manual for the card, so out of curiosity, would you need to change the system board's switches at all ?

Nope. The OB has a BIOS extension that provides the necessary support.

The fact that he OP says he got "Abort, retry, fail" tells me that the system booted DOS, no?

Ooooooo, that "other" Chuck is smart too!!

Yes, it does mean exactly that. AJ should get cooled off soon.

So, it's "find another floppy boot disk" or "see if I can make a copy on another machine and try the copy" or "clean those diskette drive heads" time.

thread

thread

Chuck(G) said...OP says he got "Abort, retry, fail" tells me that the system booted DOS
After seeing y'all debate if the floppy was right side up or not, I figured I'd better not take *anything* at face value.
patscc

heres some pics of the audio console this is for and the insides

heres some pics of the audio console this is for and the insides

of the 'puketer... I mean 'Puter:twisted:

Attachments

• IMG_0340 1.jpg
    IMG_0340 1.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0339 1.jpg
    IMG_0339 1.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0338 1.jpg