• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

TX or TL?

Here are my thoughts on the various features of the Tandy TL:

Enhanced Graphics - Name a game that will use this mode that will also not work with an EGA/VGA adapter. Hercules graphics support is very convenient, but that can also be added with a card.

The 640x200x16 mode was not BIOS-supported and you had to program the registers directly to use it. This contributed to it's unpopularity, and also because using it would exclude people who had TXs and earlier and did not have this mode.

PSSJ Sound - Alot more games support the Sound Blaster than the digitized output of a PSSJ and you need a Sound Blaster Pro in order to select a DMA channel other than 1. Cloud says that the PSSJ will not give up DMA 1, and I want to use the Sound Blaster 1.x for the Game Blaster chips.

DOS in ROM - Not especially useful if you are using a hard drive, unless the hard drive is drive D. Useless for PC Booters, very useful if you have only have floppy drives.

I think that the ROM DOS had a command that would let you boot from either floppy, or at least on the HX it did. Sort of handy.

101-Standard Keyboards - This is a very useful feature indeed. Those 90-key keyboards do not look appealing.

It's only some keys (particularly the numeric keypad) that have different scan codes and cause trouble. I think that booter games would pose the biggest problem with this.

And the Tandy TX features:

Composite Video - This guarantees that you can use a TV for an output device. On the other hand, it may not show the same colors as an IBM CGA.

This apparently only affects colors other than white. A game like Ms. Pac-Man that uses the 640x200 composite mode (which has artifacting mixed with white) would look the same on a Tandy and an IBM CGA card. Games that use the 320x200 composite mode (like Archon) might look different because you're mixing colors with the artifacting.

And as I've mentioned, the onboard floppy, printer port, and joysticks can be disabled on the TL.

None of the TL manuals give a setting to disable on-board peripherals in their setup programs.

You have to use the super-secret, "/a" switch. Even so, Tandy didn't provide any option in the setup utilities to disable the joysticks...

Ok, I found it. Bit 1 of port FFEBh disables the joystick ports on the TL.

... Which makes this interesting. (Thanks, Fallo!)

I'll have to give this a shot. According to the same section in the TL technical manual, it ought to be possible to disable the "sound chip" as well...

i'm a bit late to this thread. i have a 1000TX (and an HX) which i've found to be excellent for old-school gaming. luckily i got mine with a 20 MB IDE hard drive, which made it that much better. between the TX and TL it's basically a choose em based on your personal prefs i guess, but i'll tell you that it's very cool to be able to carry it over to the TV now and then for a bit of marble madness or ultima 6 on a bigger screen.

one major advantage of the TX is being able to output the tandy enhanced graphics modes to a TV, can't do that with the TL i believe.

i'm a bit late to this thread. i have a 1000TX (and an HX) which i've found to be excellent for old-school gaming. luckily i got mine with a 20 MB IDE hard drive, which made it that much better. between the TX and TL it's basically a choose em based on your personal prefs i guess, but i'll tell you that it's very cool to be able to carry it over to the TV now and then for a bit of marble madness or ultima 6 on a bigger screen.

one major advantage of the TX is being able to output the tandy enhanced graphics modes to a TV, can't do that with the TL i believe.

Being able to see 320x200x16 screens on a big TV is important to me, and more to the point, it preserves the composite color capabilities of many games. With a TL I would have to stick a CGA card for any composite color, and then only CGA composite color.

The TL is a much more flexible machine, virtually all of it can be disabled. You can put in a high density floppy controller, a standard gameport, a bidirectional or better parallel card that would be LPT1.

Being able to see 320x200x16 screens on a big TV is important to me, and more to the point, it preserves the composite color capabilities of many games. With a TL I would have to stick a CGA card for any composite color, and then only CGA composite color.

Of course, you'll still want a RGB monitor because of the futility of trying to use 80-column text on TVs.

Remember though that the Tandy video doesn't use the OSC line on the bus, and so you'll get composite colors that are very different from those of CGA.

The TL is a much more flexible machine, virtually all of it can be disabled. You can put in a high density floppy controller, a standard gameport, a bidirectional or better parallel card that would be LPT1.

...and it uses a standard XT keyboard as opposed to the 90-key ones. It's also got the 640x200x16 graphics mode and DAC, although hardly anything supports them.

Back