• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Help with Xenix

Well, I see that SCO legal causes are very interesting :D
But we are going a bit OT.

So, does any of you still have some xenix software? If it's open source or free and you're willing to share it, then it's welcome. Contact me via PM and I'll give you my email address.
Otherwise, you can always post here just the name (and possibly the version) of what you have.

Thanks for your help ;)

Check vetusware.com and see if they have anything.
unfortunately, my wife accidentally tossed a HUGE box of SCO Unix and Xenix software I had about 8 years ago - everything from the OS's, to office suites, word, lyra, wordperfect, 123, all KINDS of stuff.
I was TICKED, but it was my fault - similar to the case of the new and sealed AT&T PC7300 manuals+software box: I pointed, and she grabbed the wrong box, and I didn't double-check

:(

I think I have disk images for SCO Xenix 2.3.2, though.
PM me your email addy and I'll try to find it.

T

Are diskette installation sets likely to be of much use? Didn't Xenix also require an installation key--and some versions were peculiar to a given manufacturer's hardware.

Just add my 5 cents on the SCO/Microsoft/Lawsuit topic.

Xenix was licensed by Microsoft from AT&T. The first release of Xenix was done by Canadian company called HCR, this was for PDP-11 or VAX. VAX Xenix was actually USED by Microsoft at their HQ as late as 1994 as far as I recall.

Next versions of Xenix were for 286 and were a joint venture by Microsoft and IBM. In parallel several hardware vendors were licensing and porting Xenix to their platforms like Apple Lisa, Tandy 6000, Altos, etc. Even people like 3Com and Intel were doing their own ports. You can see the almost whole list here http://www.tenox.tc/docs/microsoft_xenix_oem_directory.pdf but there were more.

SCO comes in to play only later and only for x86 platform. However SCO is still selling Xenix codebase as their OpenServer platform. It's not claimed Xenix as such because that was long time ago, but OpenServer is a direct descendant with binary compatibility and many Xenix applications still running on it worldwide. This is different with their other product UnixWare which has absolutely nothing to do with Xenix.

So to summarize SCO would have nothing to say about say Lisa, Altos or Tandy Xenix. They could only complain about SCO Xenix. Microsoft on another hand is probably well used to piracy and have much bigger issues like Vista on their heads.

complaints

complaints

What lawyers feel they can complain about, and what non-lawyers feel lawyers can complain about appear to mutually exclusive fields.
patscc

I've heard recently that future lawyers are learning about software issues in law schools now. Interesting times ahead of us.

So to summarize SCO would have nothing to say about say Lisa, Altos or Tandy Xenix. They could only complain about SCO Xenix. Microsoft on another hand is probably well used to piracy and have much bigger issues like Vista on their heads.

Did Microsoft sell the rights to Xenix, or just the PC based Xenix. I'm sure you could get a lawyer to argue either way if you paid enough.

If M$ didn't then do they still own Xenix on those other platforms? I know Tandy didn't own exclusive rights to theirs.

Well, it seems that the hobbyst license thing was discussed years ago by The Unix Heritage Society (search for "xenix" in ->this page<-. I'll ask them if they can help me.

As I explained in my first post to these forums (probably in wrong section, but its here) I have a problem with a 386 which runs xenix at work which interfaces with an analytical instrument I use on a regular basis.

I am trying to set up a null modem connection from the xenix machine using uucp, but really, I am pretty much a unix newbie, and I am finding it hard work, especially because I don't have any of the manuals for this version of xenix.

I found a manual from an earlier version, but the uuinstall options don't seem to be the same.

Does anyone know where I can get some sort of users guide for sco xenix sysV release 2.3.4?

Thanks, Malcolm

I think I have a copy at work. Man covers more than the manuals if it is installed.

UUCP can be tricky for the unix novice. What are you trying to get off the computer, or why do you want to use uucp? There are other options (such as rz/sz). Where are you located?

Kelly

I am trying to remove comma delineated text files from the system.
I need to set things up so that I do this on a regular basis.

Unfortunately, I can't find any mention of rz/sz in my system, and of course, floppy drive currently out of action.

Man is installed though - thanks for that, I always forget man exists... man uucp looks like it might be of some help eventually, but no entry for man uuinstall.

I don't even have another unix system to connect to at the other end of my null modem serial cable, instead I have a windows XP machine onto which I have so far failed to setup UUPC/extended. If I cant get that to work, I am thinking maybe create a linux partition in the XP box, or use Cygwin or something as unix emulator...

As for location, University of Novi Sad, Serbia.

Wow, I just had to do a google search on Serbia. It sounded familiar but I couldn't figure out from where. The old Yugoslavia! Split up into tons of little countries. Los Angeles has more people than the entire Serbian country.

One of my doctors is from Lithuania! Close to there.

And I live in a town with a population of about 1200! with 2000+ cows.

The pop of Novi Sad is about 300,000. Not sure how many cows are within the city limits, but this is more pork country, so less than 2000 for sure :)

I am close to Death Valley California so it is getting nice and warm here already. As a result, there are currently many more flies than any other creature. I complain to the dairy owner but he could care less. All those cows are in one place!

Last I looked, Milk was MORE expensive than petrol (gasoline) in the U.S.

Well, I have two Virtual Machines with 386 xenix on it. I wanted to set up a uucp connection between them, so I can tell you how to configure a Xenix box for doing the same. For a linux or windows box you have to see if you can find an howto elsewhere.

My idea was simple: two virtual machines, xenix1 and xenix2 (I'm not so good in choosing names, ok? :p), a virtual serial cable between (I'm using com0com under windows. Obviously you'll need a real cable), uuinstall.

Start the xenix1 machine, login as root.

First of all, you have to disable the remote login from the serial port you're using. If you are using COM1, then the serial port is /dev/tty1a. We do this with:
disable /dev/tty1a

Then we make sure that the device is owned by uucp, so launch:
chown uucp /dev/tty1a

Now we need to launch uuinstall and set the system name:
Press 1, then 2. I used xenix1 for both site and machine names. No "Alternative 2". Press q, then save the changes with y.
You are now in the main menu of uuinstall.

Now we tell the machine that somewhere over the rainbow there is another machine called xenix2, and we want to be able to call it.
I deleted the "sosco" entry (we don't need it anymore) by pressing 3 and confirming. Then, you can add a new one by pressing 2. This is what I entered:
Site name: xenix2
Schedule: Any
Device type: Direct
Speed range: 9600
Phone number: -
Expect login: ogin:
Send login: root

Exit and save changes, you will be once again in the main menu.
We now need to set the serial port to the 9600 speed. Press 3, then press 4 and select to change tty1a. Set speed range to 9600, leave anything else unmodified.
Quit to main menu once again, then press 5 to check consistency. It may warn something about tty1A (note the capital A), I then decided to delete it in the third option (Display or update direct- or dial-out lines), but maybe you can just ignore it. If it's all ok, quit uuinstall.

Ok, now we have to do the same on the second vm, obviously changing every "xenix1" mentioned before in "xenix2" and viceversa (hey, that's an italian word, did you know it?).

Right, we are done. Let's try to remote login from xenix1 to xenix2. In xenix2 we have to enable the /dev/tty1a for incoming connections, so we launch the command "enable /dev/tty1a". Then, on xenix1, we do:
cu -x9 xenix2

we press backspace until the login prompt appears, and there we go!

Congratulations! The worst explained uucp-howto in the last 20 years is finished!

If something it's not working or unclear just ask, hopefully I'll be able to help... but I'm a newbie too, to be honest :)

Unfortunately, I can't find any mention of rz/sz in my system, and of course, floppy drive currently out of action.

If you have the development system, the source for RZ/SZ is readily available.

Download it to your PC.
cat > sz.c
then use ascii transfer and add a little pacing (i think you can do that in HyperTerm).

when transfer done, cc sz.c

You can then use zmodem to transfer the files.

Download it to your PC.
cat > sz.c
then use ascii transfer and add a little pacing (i think you can do that in HyperTerm).

This is very nice, but I still have not successfully got either machine to acknowledge the fact that there is another machine at the end of Echoes' rainbow. Logging into xenix from HyperTerminal is still a pipe (ha) dream.

Echoes, that looks very promising thanks - I managed to get halfway through your instructions by myself a few days ago, but got stuck trying to get uuinstall to acknowledge 'Dir' or 'D' as a device type instead of ACU. Its just possible I forgot to try the entire word 'Direct' :rolleyes:. I also couldn't work out what the hell was meant by those expect and send thingies, so thanks a lot.

Unfortunately, the xenix box and I are currently very busy doing something else (creating lots and lots of new ICPMS data files for me to transfer later, *sigh*), and later on today some guests from the UK are arriving for an academic visit for few days, so not sure when I will be able to take next serious stab at this... once I do, one thing that strikes me as going to be a problem is the fact that I don't actually have a second xenix box as a target, and I can't get uucp/extended to work on my XP machine (It refuses to acknowledge fact that I have set the system and user environment variables, grr). If I create connection in HyperTerminal with my name equivalent of Echoes' xenix2, will that be enough for the xenix box to believe its the correct rainbow?

Edit:

Well, looks like I got the basic installation of uupc/extended sorted out now... at least I managed to send an email to myself on the windows machine - how sad. My next hurdle will be attempting to send mail from the windows machine to the xenix box, but its still busy analysing samples... my uupc/extended 'systems' file currently has the line

Code:
xenix386 Any dir 9600 vg \c ogin:malcolm  ssword:--ssword:

the first 4/5 entries I can cope with, but after that??? So we have

[name_of_other_machine] [when_to_make_connection] [type_of_connection] [baud_rate] [protocols_to_try] [phone_number] [login_stuff_which_looks_weird]

Its a direct connection, so no phone number required, the uupc/extended sample files say rather enigmatically "Telephone number (use \c to omit)" so I have tried that, and then I am left with the login stuff...

On the xenix box (called xenix386 obviously), do I create a login called malcolm or a site called malcolm? If its a login, I am pretty sure I can create one with no password required, which means I won't need the sswords bit...

Last edited:
uhm good question there.
I will try. But If it's not working, I have a simple solution: i can send you a virtual machine, and you connect the virtual serial port to the real one of the XP box. This will do the trick. Once you did this, you could simply send kermit (it's on the VM hd) to the real xenix, and then transfer files via hyperterminal, since at that point you won't need the vm again...
I'll let you know something this evening (WOW! Someone who's almost in my timezone! lol... by the way how far are you from rijeka?)

Back