• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Hiya

sqpat

Experienced Member
Hi there. I'm new, and funnily enough, I'm probably younger than most of the computers being discussed on this site.

Anyway, back in '93, my family got it's first computer, an IBM PS/1 which I think was a 486 running at 25 MhZ, with 8 MB of RAM. This was later upgraded to 20 MB so that my brother could play DOOM 2. We also eventually added a 56k modem and I used it until 2000 when we got a Pentium 3. Anyways, I did a lot of QBASIC programming back then and would download other people's games off an America Online download center that had hundreds of QBASIC programs available. (AOL 3.0 actually took up two thirds of that computer's disk space... so it was bloated back then, too.)

Anyway, now I use more modern computers, but my past has left me with a fondness for old (80's, especially text-based) PC games. Unfortunately, we threw out that old PS/1 a few years ago. It was actually the search for a 5.25" floppy drive that drove me to this place.

I realize DOSBox is a good emulator, and i can just install FreeDOS on a modern PC, but I'm kind of interested in having something older as well.

So in my introduction, I'd also like to ask for help. I don't know terribly much about vintage computers (yet), but I'd like to find some kind of machine probably made in the later half of the 80s, so that it could run most of the games from that era. It'd need a hard drive, and I'd love it if the machine either had a modem built in, or allowed for one to be added on. I'd also need both 3.5" and 5.25" floppy drives in there (or the ability to add them)

I guess what I'm really asking is if someone could recommend a good vintage computer that will give me the most bang for my buck, in terms of its capabilities, since I plan to try and get the most out of it. I've been taking a look at the IBM XT and it looks like a good option. It even has the model M keyboard, same as my PS/1!

Anyways, that's my introduction, and I'm sticking to it!

Hi,

XTs are great old classics, but maybe a bit limited for what you want. If you want a machine mainly for MS-DOS games nostaligia, you might be better to go for something with a 386 or 486 processor, VGA output (at least) and standard 16 bit ISA slots carrying Soundblaster (or compatible) cards. Standard ISA slots should allow a modem to be added if it doesn't already have one.

I'm interested to know why you want a modem? Or do you mean a "null modem" which will allow two machines to be connected together? If the latter, just make sure it has an RS-232 serial card (in the late 80's/early '90s most did as standard). Then all you need is a null modem cable.

Tez

Hello And Welcome aboard, I myself am 22 and there are two other members here that are 16. It's nice to see more and more teens/early 20's getting in to vintage computers.

Well as for a vintage PC's, I would say get a 486 DX2 66Mhz. Some will say that's not vintage I disagree, I would stay with the 486 class since that was what the PS/1 one was. The XT is going to be way to slow to play most games.

I have some systems that are bounded for the dump, they are 486 DX2 50 or 66 Mhz All in one systems have one drive bay open for a 5 1/4 floppy drive or CD-Rom drive. If you wanted to cover shipping I could send ya one they are called the IBM Eduquest and have model M keyboards!

Hi there. I'm new, and funnily enough, I'm probably younger than most of the computers being discussed on this site.

Anyway, back in '93, my family got it's first computer, an IBM PS/1 which I think was a 486 running at 25 MhZ, with 8 MB of RAM. This was later upgraded to 20 MB so that my brother could play DOOM 2. We also eventually added a 56k modem and I used it until 2000 when we got a Pentium 3. Anyways, I did a lot of QBASIC programming back then and would download other people's games off an America Online download center that had hundreds of QBASIC programs available. (AOL 3.0 actually took up two thirds of that computer's disk space... so it was bloated back then, too.)

Anyway, now I use more modern computers, but my past has left me with a fondness for old (80's, especially text-based) PC games. Unfortunately, we threw out that old PS/1 a few years ago. It was actually the search for a 5.25" floppy drive that drove me to this place.

I realize DOSBox is a good emulator, and i can just install FreeDOS on a modern PC, but I'm kind of interested in having something older as well.

So in my introduction, I'd also like to ask for help. I don't know terribly much about vintage computers (yet), but I'd like to find some kind of machine probably made in the later half of the 80s, so that it could run most of the games from that era. It'd need a hard drive, and I'd love it if the machine either had a modem built in, or allowed for one to be added on. I'd also need both 3.5" and 5.25" floppy drives in there (or the ability to add them)

I guess what I'm really asking is if someone could recommend a good vintage computer that will give me the most bang for my buck, in terms of its capabilities, since I plan to try and get the most out of it. I've been taking a look at the IBM XT and it looks like a good option. It even has the model M keyboard, same as my PS/1!

Anyways, that's my introduction, and I'm sticking to it!

Hello and thanks for the responses!

I know I mentioned DOOM 2 in my post but that kind of gaming wasn't what I was going for at all. Actually, I've got a few games lying around and from their requirements, CGA or EGA would be more than enough. According to just about the highest requirements of anything i'd want to play (Might and Magic II) is a sticker on the box that says: "CGA/EGA/MCGA Hercules/Tandy". In fact, VGA isn't even an option in the manual. It says 384 K of RAM is necessary, so I think a 16 bit machine with 640 KB of RAM would probably be what I was looking for.

I don't think sound will be a big issue, though if the thing had a MIDI controller of some kind, or if I could add one, that would be neat.

As for the modem, I'd like to try using the machine to connect to IRC using leetIRC, and maybe even try playing or running a BBS somewhere down the line. I'm not too sure how this would work, though. I'd probably need a dial-up connection for the modem... or is there some solution using a "null modem" and some software that will allow me to connect to a modern computer with a broadband connection, where the new one will act as a bridge for the internet connection? Maybe a DOS driver, or something on the other computer's end? Then again, I doubt the new computer would even have the proper inputs to connect to something that old.

C'mon in, make yerself at home. We only ask two things: Don't throw yer emptys on the deck, and please move the dishes to one side before ya piss in the sink...

--T

Hello and thanks for the responses!

I know I mentioned DOOM 2 in my post but that kind of gaming wasn't what I was going for at all. Actually, I've got a few games lying around and from their requirements, CGA or EGA would be more than enough. According to just about the highest requirements of anything i'd want to play (Might and Magic II) is a sticker on the box that says: "CGA/EGA/MCGA Hercules/Tandy". In fact, VGA isn't even an option in the manual. It says 384 K of RAM is necessary, so I think a 16 bit machine with 640 KB of RAM would probably be what I was looking for.

If that's the case, sounds like you have an inherent interst in the old hardware not just the games...you can still play those old CGA games on a VGA DOS 486. However, an XT or AT (or clone) would mostly be enough.

One thing to bear in mind is that these older machines are less common and less reliable than those of the early 90s. Be prepared to do some looking, and also be prepared to repair them from time to time. Don't be put off by this though. It's half the fun of this hobby!

Tez

Hello And Welcome aboard, I myself am 22 and there are two other members here that are 16. It's nice to see more and more teens/early 20's getting in to vintage computers.

16? I'm younger than that! :D Even though there are a select few of us under 18, we are all 10 at heart.

I would suggest one of the later Tandy 1000 series. The later ones had VGA or EGA outputs, DOS, WINDOWS 1.0,2.0,3.11, Hard drive, floppy drive, PS/2 ports for you Model M (i luv mine). Just my personal opinion.

We used to have another 13-year-old here, but he kinda fadded away. Anyone hear from Jourdan lately? Did the HSA disappear him, or what? Mebby he'll turn up again after they close Camp X-Ray...:roll:

--T

Back