• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Predicted collectibles

barythrin

Veteran Member
Off-shoot of Terry's comment and something I thought about starting for a while just out of curiosity.

It's funny to almost try and think if I should keep a box to something like Guitar Hero, etc although I'm really leaning towards tossing the GH and Rock Band boxes just for space.. I'll probably just regret it later but that's if I even have those by then.

Interestingly and off topic I came across that Microsoft game for xbox called Steel Battalion. It's the full joystick units in the box (new) but they want $170 I think. Either way it didn't sell very well (that's just shy of the original price for the game+controls) but it was a 3 piece joystick set with over 40 buttons. It was sold as a mech simulator (not a game). Anyway if I had the extra cash I'd be tempted to pick one up just for collector value.

What hardware or software do you predict will be a collectible item in (20?) years? Is there something you bought just for that sake?

The collectable stuff (in 20 years) will be whatever I buy and junk/give away in 10 years and no longer have.

Honestly whatever you lust after now but cannot afford will be collectable later on no matter what it is. The realy expensive stuff will be whatever never realy sold and was recycled so that few exist but somebody needs it to finish a collection. Some items will be collectable (but not worth that much) because of their history and because the company failed (3dfx anyone?).

Unless you have a huge warehouse to keep all the original boxes and packing material I can't see bothering with holding stuff for collectors value in 20 years (think of the costs of keeping everything just for the few that might be worth something later IF you are still alive).

I have pretty grim outcomes on the future, I don’t think anything made lately will every become collectable there is nothing new, northing that will really change history such as computers back in late 70’s and early 80’s. And everything is made so cheap today I doubt it would even make it thought it’s useful life and in to the collectable stage.

Maybe I could see collecting vista and or beta version's since it totally changed the way windows looked ect. But it will go down as horrid OS.

Ok so I kinda agree, I'm not very impressed with most new technology and the innovation has left the market but there are a few things I've still held onto over time, usually personal interest but also because they're changing the market.

The Wii is actually one that kind of did, perhaps not 100% original but it's our step into the fairly obvious VR gaming at home console which will be noted as a pioneer and step in that direction. I don't have one but have thought about it.

OLPC (One Laptop Per Child). I do think this is something to get. It may not be a rugged computer but it's an interesting and certainly famous move that should be notable in the future. It also spawned a large percent of these subnotebooks for <$300 that we're seeing in stores now.

The last IBM desktop made (not sure what model) but I want to find one. Just because it was to me a significant moment and somewhat sad to see one of the first PC manufacturers abandon the market, but I'd like to have "the first" and "the last" from Big Blue.

That's a pretty good ideal, I think I might do that....

I think this is the last system :
http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/58596_8141.gif

IBM ThinkCentre 8141 I think it's the last full sized desktop!

The last IBM desktop made (not sure what model) but I want to find one. Just because it was to me a significant moment and somewhat sad to see one of the first PC manufacturers abandon the market, but I'd like to have "the first" and "the last" from Big Blue.

It looks pretty cool!

I think that the Wii will eventually become a collectible, as you said, because of the way it changed the classical console interaction. 20 years of joystick and joypads, and then the Wii stick.

Voodoo cards too, maybe. Or that's what I hope... Back in 98/99 I wanted a voodoo2 *so badly* that when last year I found one for free I was incredibly happy! :mrgreen: And after a few months I was given a PC with a voodoo3 and TV-out... Now I've packed the first and I'm using the second in a P2 I prepared for not-so-retro-gaming. I hope that, with Glide being exctint, someday they will be worth a few bucks, but there's a sentimental value anyway.

Another collectible could be something like HP 95LX/200LX, maybe. Or graphing calculators.

I don't think Wii consoles will become that collectible, especially since since more wiis were made than Commodore 64's (Actually, Nintendo sold their 50 000 000th Wii the other day).

3DFX cards will always have some sort of value. I have the original box for my 5500 PCI (but alas I can't find the card :( ) and the same goes with all the other stuff I have. if it came with a box I keep it and make neat and compact piles of boxed that are stored away in places like in my closet.
My mothers parents were like that as well. They had a whole broom closet filled with empty boxes for stuff ranging from toasters to the stereo and they still have the wooden crate for the piano they bought back in the 50's tucked away upstairs in the shop.

I hate to say it, but the Wii will probably be collectible in 20 years, simply because of all the media hoopla over it. It's the thing that everyone's heard of, but many children don't have, so they will of course want one when they grow up.
Gamers today are a lot more collectibility conscious than a few years ago, so a lot of todays consoles will be around down the line, and not landfilled like they were in the past.

Other possible future collectibles are PDAs and SmartPhones, because there's so many of 'em on the market, in so many different styles, etc, and each model seems to have relatively short runs before the newer, better version comes out to replace it. Then there's the multitude of Mp3 players, for the same reason. There will be millions of those things sitting around in closets in 20 years. (I'll bet most of us have a shoebox or two full of that kinda stuff sittin' around somewhere, if we haven't tossed 'em already).

Course, it's hard to predict what people will collect...I'm still trying to get my brain around sneaker collectors!

--T

I hate to say it, but the Wii will probably be collectible in 20 years, simply because of all the media hoopla over it. It's the thing that everyone's heard of, but many children don't have, so they will of course want one when they grow up.

So pretty much the Wii is the Commodore 64 of this generation in that almost everyone will remember theirs from their childhood and want to live it all over again by getting one off ebay for $$25-50? ;)
I gotta admit I already see the original iPod as a collectible item. It is the holy grail of MP3 players after all as nothing before it was as innovative (or at least not as popular).

So pretty much the Wii is the Commodore 64 of this generation in that almost everyone will remember theirs from their childhood and want to live it all over again by getting one off ebay for $$25-50? ;)
I gotta admit I already see the original iPod as a collectible item. It is the holy grail of MP3 players after all as nothing before it was as innovative (or at least not as popular).

Exactly.

--T

HotWheels

HotWheels

I think that HotWheels will continue to be big collectors items, I'm going to make this on-topic by mentioning a Hot Wheels computer case mod, and then saying that my collection is <200 cars covering my walls (good walpaper)

lol, well when I worked at AMD back in 98 a coworker then was also collecting and selling hotwheels on ebay. That's actually how I learned about the site. He would take them out and repaint or decal them and put them back in the original packaging (the buyer new that and honestly a lot of folks bought the car just to find out how he did that), but yeah those I guess are always collectible, though I'm just interested in computers myself.

It's funny to think how some things (did anyone predict something back then would be collectible now) are collectible just because it bombed on the market. There's an irony, a product that was obviously kinda crappy and didn't sell or make many so now it's worth a bunch due to obscurity.

Never thought about the ipod, I already had an mp3 player (cd) so I never quite understood what the big deal was but you're probably right.

Another irony is the collector's edition release of games that almost everyone does now for an extra $20. I don't think anyone really buys that thinking "ooh collectible". Heck I see those tins and releases all the time at Half-Price Books (our used books store chain).

The latest thing I did end up buying (given I'm going to open it eventually and play it) was the Collector's edition of Spore. It's almost original, evolution game with some randomness and an evolution engine that uses what you do when you evolve as it thinks would be logical on that creature. Previous to that I kept "Creatures" from an AI perspective (also personal interest) but that's an actual neural network creature. Completely unique learning habits from your actions and they evolve too even beyond what the creators expected.

Back