• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

how to subscribe to the classiccmp cctalk

mikey99

Veteran Member
Does anyone have a valid link or instructions for subscribing
to the classiccmp cctalk cctech email feeds ? Googling
this finds a lot of links that just dont work anymore.

For example going here http://www.classiccmp.org/cctalk.html

filling in the subscribe section , submitting , gives this error:

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /mailman/subscribe/cctalk on this server.

From what I hear the list owner has been moving stuff to different servers lately, so it could be down to that. Even if the page did work, it can take a few tries before you actually get added. You could try mailing the list admin (address on the link you just posted) but don't expect a quick response.

I've been trying to subscribe for weeks. There's an email address you can use to talk directly to the listserv software. Unfortunately, trying to subscribe that way ends with a message that you have to wait for moderator approval.

The archives have also been 404 for a while now, too.

Is the list actually alive and delivering messages to the existing subscribers? Or is cctalk basically dead?

Very much alive and active but, as noted, it's being moved/updated and some things are a lower priority for the overworked owner/admin who *does* have a day job...

You should be advised in subscribing that it will furnish you with up to 100 or more posts a day. Unless the posts have gone down in the last few years. So take the least intrusive option available.

Things have gotten a bit slower there. I've seen it pop up to 100 posts once in a while, but usually it's relatively quiet - maybe 30-40 posts a day on average.

Usualy if it hits 100 posts a day it is because the mods aproved all the posts at once. Very interesting list thats for sure.

The posts can all be viewed here :
http://archive.netbsd.se/?ml=cctalk

I want to subscribe so I can post and ask if anyone has a copy of the
Orchid PC-Turbo 186 software/drivers. I'm thinking this list gets a fairly
broad distribution, so maybe I'll get lucky and someone will have those :)

It would be great to find the docs for this card too.

Last edited:
The posts can all be viewed here :
The above site provides RSS feeds for each list: one feed for headers only and another for complete messages. cctalk is in my Google Reader.

I want to subscribe so I can post and ask if anyone has a copy of the
Orchid PC-Turbo 186 software/drivers. I'm thinking this list gets a fairly
broad distribution, so maybe I'll get lucky and someone will have those :)
Your post made it to the list. Did you get subscribed?

The above site provides RSS feeds for each list: one feed for headers only and another for complete messages. cctalk is in my Google Reader.

Your post made it to the list. Did you get subscribed?

COOL ! Thanks for letting me know my post made it out there !

I haven't received any notifications or anything from the feed
so I don't think I'm subscribed but reading the feeds on that site
is just as good :)

So does that mean that the list is active? I haven't seen any messages since mid-March.

Maybe it's only part-way there? Maybe he lost the subscriber list?

Hmmm.

If you go the link I posted earlier :

there are posts from April as well. So it must be active although I can't
say that subscribers are actually receiving the emails.

From the posts and replies it's clear that some folks are getting the mail.

I checked my stuff from front to back and don't have any reason to not be getting it except that it's not being sent. . .

I get them in email in bulk, so I get about 20-50 posts in one email at a time. This weekend has been busy! This is the best way to do it. I get about 1 or 2 emails a day! I mostly scan through them and delete the email if no info is needed. In my email I get this information:

Send cctech mailing list submissions to
cctech@classiccmp.org

To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
http://www.classiccmp.org/mailman/listinfo/cctech
or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
cctech-request@classiccmp.org

You can reach the person managing the list at
cctech-owner@classiccmp.org

When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
than "Re: Contents of cctech digest..."

They state that they moderate all incoming topics so things get sent as a moderator is available. Overall a good way to get attention on a subject.

Vince

I had a quick email exchange with Jay last night and was able to reactivate my subscription (it got set to "don't send mail" somehow and I wasn't able to access the account via the website until he did something) so I'm back on.

Its a great list but, its got problems. There seems to be no order to how messages arrive. Today I got 161 messages. Most from before the last message I had read.

Its moved to a new server now and I'm hoping it settles down. Same stuff was happening before this week just not as dramatic. Probably what happens when you try and run a mailing list on some rusting hulk you found in a scrapyard.

Back