• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Tool to straight out bent pins.

JT64

Experienced Member
I have PC-CARD adapter in my Contura, unfortunatly there was a screw inside one slot first time i tried, and it stuck between pins. I managed to get it removed.

Problem is the adapter is caged with a noneremovable brack so i have to try straighten the pins basically from a straight angle. Those legs really soft, i tried a thin screddriver it only got worse.

Now i am thinking gettin a long pincett, do anyone have experience with PCMCIA pins get badly bent.

JT

unbend one end of a paperclip, then bend about 2 or 3mm of the tip into a right angle to use as a poker. use the remaining loop as a handle.

Last edited:
I don't have any experience but just wanted to say that "long pincett" should probably be long tweezers. :) (In case anyone was stuck on that)

I don't have any experience but just wanted to say that "long pincett" should probably be long tweezers. :) (In case anyone was stuck on that)

Thanks! :D pincett is not a swedish word so i thought it might be correct, but now i realise it probably french or italian (or even latin).

Tweezers, is that same spelling both in english and american?

JT

It is definately correct for english, and looking at wikipedia it looks like correct for USA as well. Yes, pincett is probably french - judging from the two t's. I know it from danish - with one t. That's why I knew what you were talking about. :)

A wirewrap tool bit or even a small piece of brass tubing such as can be found at hobby shops can be used also. Do not use any tool (pliers, tweezers, hemostats) with serrated jaws! This will nick the pins and make it easier for them to break. Smooth jaws only!

You could try a pair of small needle-nosed pliers (and as said, use ones with smooth jaws).
I had a piece of the plastic board guard break off and I didn't see it get lodged into the connector on the backplane of my Onyx while I was reinserting a board. It bent at lesast six pins. While I did have to pull all the boards out of the system got get at it, I was pretty much straightening the pins in the same position as you and small needle-nosed pliers worked well.

Dental picks for getting the pins straight enough to use a mechanical pencil (the kind with the metal tip) or you can go to a hobby store and get really thin brass brass tubing (considering the constraints for a PCMCIA slot).

-Matt

Hi
I've found that smooth jawed short needle nose pliers work best.
I find that squeezing the entire length of the pin works better
than grabbing the end and unbending the bend.
It helps to keep the bend from work hardening and becoming
brittle.
I used to have one of those metal plates with tapered holes
in it to align pins. I found it to be mostly useless and started
using the pliers.
Dwight

It {tweezer} is definately correct for english, and looking at wikipedia it looks like correct for USA as well.
<snip>

But definately definitely isn't... ;-)

Like Chuck says, small hobby brass/copper/aluminum tubing's the answer. Get several sizes, it's also good for removing connector pins.

Hi
I should make it clearer.
Do not use tubing or grab the ends of the pin
and lever it straight. This tends to cause more
work hardening of the pin and makes it more
brittle. Use smooth jawed short needle nose pliers.
Place the pliers such that it covers as much of the
pin as you can, on both sides of the bend. Squeeze
tightly, even a slight crushing of the pin ( helps
to realign the grain, making the pin stronger ).
Just levering it back tend to increase the grain
boundaries perpendicular to the length of the pin.
This makes it easier to break off.
Using the pliers as I describe, preasures the bend
from three points, doing the minimum bending to
straighten. The slight crushing realigns the grain
making it stronger.
Dwight

Back