• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Video conversion question

Based on the A/V Scan convertors we sell and use I would say that one would go for anywhere from $100 - $200, with around $120 being very reasonable.

Here is something similar for $120

Here is another for $150 (this one looks very much like the one you posted)

What I am now wondering is if any scan converter would would to up scale CGA/EGA to a VGA. If so there are a plethora of options out there.

There is probably some sort of upscaling ability or the device would be pretty much worthless - I would think!!!!!

What's the advantage to using a device like this instead of
using an 8-bit VGA card ? I know the cards are rather scarce
but they do show up occasionally on eBay and should be a much
cheaper option.

Because some machines have built in CGA that can't be easily disabled? Of course the ones I have like this also have composite out, but I don't like the look of that with mode CO80 set.

There is probably some sort of upscaling ability or the device would be pretty much worthless - I would think!!!!!

Well yes, they are up-scalers. What I meant was would it work with any up-scaler (ie ones that don't specifically say CGA).

using an 8-bit VGA card ?
Eg. the ability to use CGA-specific software.
Yes, some (S)VGA cards do have CGA compatibility option, but others don't...

using an 8-bit VGA card ? I know the cards are rather scarce
but they do show up occasionally on eBay and should be a much
cheaper option.

I have several 8bit VGA Cards and currently have one in my IBM 5150, I have no choice since I do not own a monitor made for the original video cards.

Nuts as it might sound, if I could keep all the original vintage parts inside the 5150 and still be able to connect a modern monitor to it, I would.

I think the rarest part for the 5150 or 5160 or 5170 is the monitor to which these computers were originally sold with. Getting one in nice shape and delivered seems to be very percarious and expensive....

I have several 8bit VGA Cards and currently have one in my IBM 5150, I have no choice since I do not own a monitor made for the original video cards.

The CGA card in my 5150 I have connected to a TV with an RF modulator, which doesn't provide the best picture, but allows me to use games with composite support. I do of course want to get a RGB monitor as well.

I think the rarest part for the 5150 or 5160 or 5170 is the monitor to which these computers were originally sold with. Getting one in nice shape and delivered seems to be very precarious and expensive....

My 5151 was obtained locally, so I avoided the dangers of shipping. Monochrome and CGA monitors seem to be fairly common, but EGA monitors are hard to find (at least on Ebay).

The CGA card in my 5150 I have connected to a TV with an RF modulator, which doesn't provide the best picture, but allows me to use games with composite support. I do of course want to get a RGB monitor as well.

My 5151 was obtained locally, so I avoided the dangers of shipping. Monochrome and CGA monitors seem to be fairly common, but EGA monitors are hard to find (at least on Ebay).

I once paid $650 for an EGA Monitor back in yonder days.

I once paid $650 for an EGA Monitor back in yonder days.

I paid $600 for a NEC 3D VGA monitor back in 1988 :)
and $250 for an ATI VGA Wonder card to drive it

Can't remember how I justified that to my wife....
oh yeah , we had only been married two years....
No way I could get away with that today lol

I paid $600 for a NEC 3D VGA monitor back in 1988 :)
and $250 for an ATI VGA Wonder card to drive it

Can't remember how I justified that to my wife....
oh yeah , we had only been married two years....
No way I could get away with that today lol

I had that monitor :>

I still own 2 Sony SFII's 17 inchers!

Back