• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Old Pentium Board, New Pentium Chip

Raven

Veteran Member
I have a Pentium mobo that only seems to jumper up to 100mhz, so I stuck one of those in there. I'd like to max it's class out with a 233MX, and I don't want to switch mobos as this one has rare white ISA slots that are easier to work with, as well as PCI, and it's already mounted in my favorite case and good to go.

Is there a way to get a 233MX, or any other higher-than-100mhz chip working in there? Would I have to find an overdrive of some kind? (bah)

While I'm asking, is there any board out there with both VESA Local Bus and PCI (and ISA, ofc) on the same board? None of mine seem to.

VLB required signals from the 486 that the Pentium did not deliver so you are out of luck finding a Pentium board with VLB.

no, you're basically stuck with 100 mhz if the board doesn't support a high enough bus speed/multiplier.

Pentium answers

Pentium answers

Hi Gang !

Don't want to be out of line answering the Pentium questions here. If I am, I'm sure someone will let me know.

Actually, it's not a matter of "100MHz" as being the fastest speed that your board will support. Assuming that you have an early Socket 5 board, it will support either a 50, 60 or 66MHz FSB. ( Front side bus ). Then you have to discuss clock multipliers. Most Socket 5 boards support 1.5X, or 2X clock speeds, which means your board will support anything from a 75MHz CPU to 133MHz.

You *can* get an overdrive chip that will get you to at least 200MHz. Certain boards, with a BIOS upgrade *may* support an Evergreen chip which can get you up to 400MHz. Extremely rare, and I have only seen this on certain Socket 7 boards.

I'm pretty sure you have a Socket 5, which you can easily get to 133MHz if you use the correct CPU, and set your jumpers accordingly. ( 66MHz X 2 )

If you do in fact have a Socket 7 board, or even a Super Socket 7 board, you can go MUCH faster. Some of them have 50, 60, 66, 75, 83, 100, and beyond FSB speeds. Clock multipliers range from 1.5 to 6 PLUS on these boards. Knowing exactly what board you have would help.

By the way, I have in my extensive motherboard collection a Socket 4 and Socket 5 Pentium class board with VESA slots. EXtremely rare.

bobwatts
EartH

Hi Gang !

Don't want to be out of line answering the Pentium questions here. If I am, I'm sure someone will let me know.

Actually, it's not a matter of "100MHz" as being the fastest speed that your board will support. Assuming that you have an early Socket 5 board, it will support either a 50, 60 or 66MHz FSB. ( Front side bus ). Then you have to discuss clock multipliers. Most Socket 5 boards support 1.5X, or 2X clock speeds, which means your board will support anything from a 75MHz CPU to 133MHz.

You *can* get an overdrive chip that will get you to at least 200MHz. Certain boards, with a BIOS upgrade *may* support an Evergreen chip which can get you up to 400MHz. Extremely rare, and I have only seen this on certain Socket 7 boards.

I'm pretty sure you have a Socket 5, which you can easily get to 133MHz if you use the correct CPU, and set your jumpers accordingly. ( 66MHz X 2 )

If you do in fact have a Socket 7 board, or even a Super Socket 7 board, you can go MUCH faster. Some of them have 50, 60, 66, 75, 83, 100, and beyond FSB speeds. Clock multipliers range from 1.5 to 6 PLUS on these boards. Knowing exactly what board you have would help.

By the way, I have in my extensive motherboard collection a Socket 4 and Socket 5 Pentium class board with VESA slots. EXtremely rare.

bobwatts
EartH

Have any pictures of your collection?

Hi Bob--you and I agree. A 66MHz FSB with a Pentium MMX overdrive (Intel PODPMT66X200) with a 3x multiplier will get to 200MHz with MMX support.

I believe the OD will also work in a Socket 7 setup.

Pentium stuff

Pentium stuff

Have any pictures of your collection?

Hello !

Er, no, I never thought about that. Could be a good idea. Shame though, since I have thrown away more than I have, and frankly, I doubt if the "stuff" I have would interest the Vintage Computer Forum. Some of it *is* old/ancient, but most is 486 and newer. Sure, I have some 8088, 286, and 386 stuff. I once had a 80186 motherboard and CPU in my stuff, but the thing was dead. Couldn't bring myself to pitch it, but I did give it to a good home. ( wish I had it back.... I have never seen another. )

Collect CPU's and old software also. :)

Rarest CPU ? 486SX-16MHz.

If there is any interest, I can try to locate the Socket 4 and 5 boards with VESA slots and take pics. The Socket 5 board is actually NOS. Don't think it was ever used. Got it off of eBay. I *think* I tested it. I was stunned to see one actually. I was surprised that a Socket 4 board existed, but when I found the Socket 5, I was really surprised. I have a lot of Socket 4 boards, 'cause they fascinated me for a while. ( I got over it. :p )

bobwatts
EartH

The original P60 and P66 were 5V parts, newer ones were 3.3v and last generation had dual voltages for core and I/O. There are overdrives that have voltage regulators to get the voltage they need along with clock multipliers.

There are easy ways. I recall sticking a 486/40 in 90 degrees off and boy did it not like that (CPU melted into the ZIF socket killing the chip and board).

VLB boards

VLB boards

When I was asking that question I meant in general, not necessarily Pentium-class.

I meant to answer this previously......

Yes, they were actually quite common ( at switchover time ) at the end of the 486 run. PCI, VLB, and ISA boards were not rare back in the mid/late 90's. Back then I probably saw well over a hundred of the things. Still have some Some were real junk, and required some "tinkering" to get working well.
The smart thing to do was ignore the VLB slots, and go ISA/PCI. The ISA/PCI 486 board was probably my favorite back then. Extemely stable, and overclockable. I STILL have some of those running at 160MHz. ( 4X40MHz using an AMD ADZ chip. ) But an ISA/PCI board running a POD 83MHz chip overclocked to 100MHz ( 2½X40MHz ) was the fastest, although some people will argue the Cyrix 5x86 120MHz chip was faster.

bobwatts
EartH

Back