• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

EPROM Programming and Erasing

Great Hierophant

Veteran Member
Hello,

I need to update the EPROM of one of my devices. I have the code I wish to burn, but I don't have access to a programmer or an eraser. Can anyone provide an affordable service? Will pay for shipping the EPROM both ways.

The chip's markings are M5M27C512AK-15. Is there any chance of replacing this with an OTP EPROM, which does not have to suffer from erasure by exposure or bit rot?

The chip's markings are M5M27C512AK-15
The part appears to be a Mitsubishi part. According to 1990 Data I/O wall chart, for a Data I/O model 29B to program that part, it would need a Unipak2B with Rev 17 firmware. An Intel part would need Rev 19. My unit for instance is at Rev 16 and can not handle those parts.

As far as one time PROMS, no they don't make them that large.

The part appears to be a Mitsubishi part. According to 1990 Data I/O wall chart, for a Data I/O model 29B to program that part, it would need a Unipak2B with Rev 17 firmware. An Intel part would need Rev 19. My unit for instance is at Rev 16 and can not handle those parts.

As far as one time PROMS, no they don't make them that large.

Yes, you can get 27C512 in an OTP but it's simply an EPROM with no window and will be subject to the same bit rot.

RJ

Great site. Once I get a bunch of other things cleared up and have the time, I'll have need for your services.

The Grid 15xx is a great laptop, however one of its failings was that you were locked into 3 particular Connor HDDs in the BIOS and most of them are now failed or failing.

There were numerous years of messages in the Yahoo RuGRID group on the problem and finally one of the members, with help from others, came up with a modification of the BIOS which was difficult but involved burning a modified BIOS containing the ID of the HDD you were replacing the Connor with. Unfortunately most owners didn't has access to an EPROM machine and the interest tended to peter out. While the group is still functioning postings have fallen greatly. There is a Files section where there are several files which describe the process.

Also the Grids had 2 extra sockets for ROMs on which one could burn the OS or any other programs, which freed up memory or could contain specific user company programs.

If you have the time you might check out the group and the files section. Possibly a blurb there could score up some business. You'd have to be subscribed to it tho.

The URL is http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/RuGRiD-Laptop/

Lawrence

Last edited:
Hi
You didn't say where you were. I can program most anything
up to what a EMP10 can handle. I can also program 1702As and
2708s if needed but that takes me a little while to setup.
I can't do 1702 ( non-A ) but with some time, I could do it
if I wrote some code. However, if I had a non-A, I wouldn't
want to program it as there are more than enough 1702As
around to use in its place.
Dwight

Back