• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Beginner Basic

cgrape2

Experienced Member
I think that learning Basic again would do my brain some good.I last learned it in the 1970s when we wrote our code on Punchcards(yeah,I'm that old...sigh).
Where do I start?The web has lots of resources,but I'm sorta overwhelmed.
I intend to practice and use what I learn on my SuperSport 8086 (640K)that is currently hosting DOS 3.2.It's my understanding that I can do Basic on this PC with little problem(other that the ones I cause myself).Am I correct in this assumption?
Thanks in advance for any advice!
cgrape2

you may want to take a look at QuickBASIC 4.5 or 7.1. much more powerful than the older GWBASIC, plus you can compile EXE files with it.

Or have a look at True Basic; a real BASIC, not something invented at Microsoft. TB traces its pedigree back to Kemeny and Kurtz; as an old-timer, you may appreciate that.

Anyone have a version of IITRAN for the PC?

Thanks for the Suggestions!

Thanks for the Suggestions!

Hey all,thanks for your suggestions!
I'm in for a pretty interesting experience.(Even better if I remember what I learned back in the 1970s!)
cgrape2

The nice thing about QuickBasic is the help function (F1) then contents to look up each command and how to use it (with examples). That alone made it somewhat easy to learn new commands and techniques without a book at hand.

Back