• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Model II: No memory available

NeXT

Veteran Member
So I got my Model II up and running and after poking at CP/M a bit I tried firing up level II BASIC form the floppy and got:
Code:
32K MEMORY BANK ALLOCATION MAP

0  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11 12  13  14  15
.  S  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .   .  .   .   .   .

S=OPERATING SYSTEM BANK
.=NO MEMORY BANK PRESENT

INSUFFICIENT MEMORY FOR LEVEL II OPERATION
AT LEAST TWO NON-USER BANKS REQUIRED

Okay, so I'm assuming something is wonky with my memory or this box has so little ram it can barely run CP/M and that is it.

Any ideas?

Funny how this stuff works, huh?
Clear one "hurdle", and there's another one right after it.
It's like track and field for vintage computers.

Bleh. I was not even expecting it to work at all when I got it. It appears to have been sitting in a ditch for a while.
Oh, I forgot to mention that it would not of been possible to get this to even boot if it was not for you and Chuck(G) and those wonderful teledisk disk images.

Oh, I forgot to mention that it would not of been possible to get this to even boot if it was not for you and Chuck(G) and those wonderful teledisk disk images.

Some thanks is due to the late Don Maslin. He got those images for me and my Model 16.

So, How much memory do you have installed in the Model II? My guess is that it isn't seeing all installed memory. Do you have a copy of the TechRef for the model II? If not, I think I can find a PDF for you.

Kelly

Oh wow. that technical reference manual might be worth reading.
does he also have the technical reference for the disk expansion box? I'm still trying to figure out how the drives are screwed down in the case.

Oh wow. that technical reference manual might be worth reading.
does he also have the technical reference for the disk expansion box? I'm still trying to figure out how the drives are screwed down in the case.

I haven't seen any literature at all for the expansion box.

I opened my box earlier and I will try to make a diagram that shows how the brackets are mounted. For each floppy drive, there is a front and rear bracket that are identical. My brackets are made from U-channel (looking at it from the side, it is a flat piece of metal bent in a U shape). One end has a notch with the opposite end having a tab with a screw hole in it. Is that what yours looks like?

Ah, I see. So I'm missing the brackets. :(

Anyways, I'm still trying to figure out why I can't seem to see all the memory under CP/M so I can fire up stuff like Level 2 BASIC.

So I got my Model II up and running and after poking at CP/M a bit I tried firing up level II BASIC form the floppy and got:
Code:
32K MEMORY BANK ALLOCATION MAP

0  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11 12  13  14  15
.  S  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .   .  .   .   .   .

S=OPERATING SYSTEM BANK
.=NO MEMORY BANK PRESENT

INSUFFICIENT MEMORY FOR LEVEL II OPERATION
AT LEAST TWO NON-USER BANKS REQUIRED

Okay, so I'm assuming something is wonky with my memory or this box has so little ram it can barely run CP/M and that is it.

Any ideas?

A 'standard' Model 2 has 64k of ram... you are not likely to find more unless its been upgraded to a 12/16... which, if I recall, takes ALOT of doing...

What memory config is the CP/M setup for? If I recall, the thing should balk even before boot if the 64k isnt working right... Tho I may be thinking of the 12/16...
:confused:

Are you implying that the OS itself is not properly configured? It's entirely possible as these are my first steps into CP/M. I assumed that it would "just work" regardless.

Could it simply be that you have some faulty RAM so it's not seeing it?

I used to think my OS challenger only have 2.5K or RAM. Actually it had 8k but a single faulty RAM IC was preventing the unit from seeing the rest.

Tez

would that be something a can of compressed air would show? I can't really put my hands on the chips while it is in action as it's in the middle of the card cage.

Disk images for the Model II?

Disk images for the Model II?

Hey dudes,

I restored a Model II a few months ago, but I only have a few disk images to play with. Creating the first 8" floppy was not an easy task! So far, I've collected TRSDOS 2.0a, Scripsit, Profile II, Pickles & Trout CP/M 2.2, FMG CP/M 2.21 and LS-DOS 6.3.1a. Would someone be willing to share with me? I'd like to have more software for this monster! :cool:

You got a way to write disk images?
Images can be found here.

I hooked up a 3.5" high-density floppy drive to my Model II, so I can write 3.5" floppies for the Model II using a modern computer. Some people will tell you it's preferable to use a 5.25" high-density drive, but a 3.5" one works very well.

I already know and use Dave Dunfield's disk imaging software, and I downloaded his Model II disk images. I thought you guys were in the possession of some other disk images. Somebody talked about a fellow named Don Maslin. I googled his name and found a list of disk images, but I couldn't find those anywhere.

Back