• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Vintage Linux and Minix

They even have TAMU. That was the first one I downloaded (I think I started with 0.96). Took forever on a 33.6 modem.

I'm concerned that oldlinux appears to be hosted in China, with all their restrictive firewalls and other internet politics.

Someone here in the USA had a similar goal, but the project seems to have stagnated:
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/historic-linux/

FWIW, the first distro I ever loaded was SLS 1.03, around October 1993.
Trivia: what does SLS stand for? (No fair looking it up)

I'm concerned that oldlinux appears to be hosted in China, with all their restrictive firewalls and other internet politics.

Someone here in the USA had a similar goal, but the project seems to have stagnated:
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/historic-linux/

FWIW, the first distro I ever loaded was SLS 1.03, around October 1993.
Trivia: what does SLS stand for? (No fair looking it up)
I don't know what kind of problem you might have with a Chinese site. From here I just click on a link and it downloads - just like any other site. Other Chinese sites that I go to look and function much like local ones. I think the internet works pretty much the same everywhere. :)

The ibiblio site is great. I just found it the other day. You're right about stagnating though. I sent the guy an e-mail and the account is dead. I hope someone else takes it up.

I think SLS would be a real collectors item. Do you have a copy still?

wow i'm a linux noob. sls from 1993? my first install was an old red hat version back in 2000. i didn't toy with it much. i left linux alone after that until i felt a bit more daring, and then installed debian 3.1 "sarge" in 2005 when i set up a home web/ftp server. i couldn't live without linux now, and i've become a semi-guru.

no linux can really be considered "vintage" relatively speaking. older unicies are interesting though, like minix, xenix, and the like. of course, true unix as well. you can get a 286 doing some cool stuff with minix.

Back