• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

How do I get started with hardware?

TheLazy1

Experienced Member
How does everyone learn to build such things like their own interface cards or even whole computers?
I'm really amazed at all the new devices being created for older hardware.

How I got into this hobby was find old computer, probably break it figuring it out but you don't use an expensive one. Right now early Pentiums are not so much in demand by anyone, like the 166-300mhz range (though they can really be fun).

Talk to people, read a lot of blogs on projects, experiment with spare hardware. I cannot say I have ever made a controller card of any kind, but other things. Cables, things with switches, game controllers, all great projects. Learn to solder (if you don't know already).

Hope this helps!

Nathan

Find some old Tandy service manuals... They have some great information on theory of operation and they break down many circuits to help you understand what is happening.

Of course, this all assumes you can read schematics, understand digital logic basics (AND, OR, NOT gates, etc...), and can count in binary and hexadecimal.

RJ

Unfortunately no, I cannot read schematics nor have I read about digital logic.
Binay/hex is no problem though.

Is this something that can be learned casually or is it usually done by people who already know this sort of thing for work/ect?

Stop by The Source (I think that's what you call Radio Shack up in Canadastan) and pick up a book titled "Getting Started in Electronics"

You'll find it quite helpful to learn the basics.

For awhile I was learning all this stuff from a casual perspective, but now I've started taking a required class on "Basic Digital Electronics" required for college.

(I'm still kinda new to all this but I'm close to starting my own z80 system after a year or so of reading/messing around.)

It's tricky to learn on your own, but it's definitely do-able. I would start by seeking out a textbook on the subject.

(Which level of learning you pick one from is entirely up to you. Find one that includes the basics that you can understand in reading)

Many old textbooks can be found for cheap, and it doesn't have to be very recent to get started. Especially if you are planning to work on vintage computers! :p

Edit: Channelmaniac's recommendation sounds great. I've never heard of the book, but it sounds like what you need right now.)

Last edited:
I can't design computer cards and circuits, but having a general interest in audio electronics made it quite easy for me to read through a basic book on digital electronics. Basic boolian algebra is not hard even if you're not a math type. After that I got a handful of TTL logic chips (they're really cheap) and a breadboard and had a great time. That part is definitely hobby level doable. :)

It's a lot easier if you have a specific idea of something you'd like to build, or even just understand; once you have that you'll probably find a lot of helpful information on the Web.
Just don't bite off too much at first.

Stop by The Source (I think that's what you call Radio Shack up in Canadastan) . . .
Actually it's hilarious, because they make it very clear that it is not "the Source", but rather The Source by Circuit City! They're told they have to answer the phone that way. Apart from that, I have some of their old publications and they are indeed very good.

How does everyone learn to build such things like their own interface cards or even whole computers?
I'm really amazed at all the new devices being created for older hardware.

Hi! My suggestion is to build your own N8VEM SBC. I designed it especially for teaching the basic principles of hardware and software of simple computers. Assemble your own SBC, get it working, and study its construction. It will teach you by example on how things work and why.

Obviously I am an N8VEM advocate but your question is precisely the purpose of the N8VEM homebrew computing project; education and entertainment with homebrew computers.

Its simple, cheap, reliable and many builders have working systems.

Thanks and have a nice day!

Andrew Lynch

Hi
It is a shame that many of the older books on electronics
and logic are gone.
GE has a wonderful book on semiconductors and many of
the early data catalogs included internal diagrams of the
transistor and such inside of the chips.
Start by trying to figure out schematics. Use data sheets
to understand the functions of the components and
why they are connected the way they are.
The most important thing in trouble shooting is understanding
how it is suppose to work. It makes it easier to understand
howw it might fail.
Dwight

Hi! My suggestion is to build your own N8VEM SBC. I designed it especially for teaching the basic principles of hardware and software of simple computers. Assemble your own SBC, get it working, and study its construction. It will teach you by example on how things work and why.

Obviously I am an N8VEM advocate but your question is precisely the purpose of the N8VEM homebrew computing project; education and entertainment with homebrew computers.

Its simple, cheap, reliable and many builders have working systems.

Andrew Lynch

I took a quick look at N8VEM and it looks very interesting.
A lot more research is needed on my end though since I have no experience with the Z80 :)

[Added]
In general, how much does it cost to get a workable system set up?
I'm getting more interested though.

Last edited:
Don't forget the Heathkit electronic trainers (with built-in power supplies and breadboards) and the courses to go along with them. You have hands-on lab experiments to demonstrate what you learn in the text. They are frequently sold on eBay.

It is a shame that many of the older books on electronics and logic are gone.
GE has a wonderful book on semiconductors and many of
the early data catalogs included internal diagrams of the
transistor and such inside of the chips.

You're right, Dwight. I still have my GE rectifier, SCR and tunnel diode books. My transistor book is long gone, however.

Motorola in the early IC days had a series of HEP (hobbyist and experimenters program) kits for those wanting to learn the "new" technology.

Fortunately for everyone, the web is full of sites to promote electronics for the uninitiated.

Sorry if this is a stupid question but is it feasible to "borrow" components off old non-working boards?
Things like sockets, ICs, ect...

I have little money so scrounging would be ideal :)

Depends on what you want. I keep a few scrap boards here that I take parts off from time to time (like resistors or micro fuses).

Sorry if this is a stupid question but is it feasible to "borrow" components off old non-working boards?
Things like sockets, ICs, ect...

I have little money so scrounging would be ideal :)

Hi! Salvaging electronic scrap is certainly possible and even practical low cost source of parts. If you know what you are doing you can save a lot of money reusing old components. It helps to have some test tools (VOM, oscilloscope, chip tester, etc) though to ensure what you are recovering is working.

There are several N8VEM builders who have built their systems using recovered scrap and I have done it myself. There are techniques for mass recovery of components from scrap PCBs by melting all the solder joints with old junk toaster ovens, torches, heat guns, etc. I just use a desoldering iron.

Andrew Lynch

N8VEM Sounds interesting if I can keep the cost low so I'll try scrounging as much parts as I can :)
I'll have around $160 or so to play with but I'm hoping to still keep the costs well below that.

The cost of the 4MBit SRAM amazes me, though I doubt I'll find one kicking around.

Back