• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

AT to XT Keyboard Converter

I'm sorry I haven't checked this thread since page 1, and don't want to read 10 pages to find out, but did you make a converter that can go both ways, or one that can go each way, or just AT Keyboard->XT Machine? I am more interested in hooking my XT keyboards up to AT machines, as I have four XT keyboards and only one dysfunctional XT machine to my name (and I love the XT layout).

I'd pay twice that amount ($10 inc. ship) for one that could do XT->AT or AT->XT with a switch to choose.

I also happen to be the sort who has no idea how to write code for an EPROM or such things nor do I have flash stuff, etc. As I said, I'd pay more for one that could do both, but I can't make it myself. If it's a lot of work then don't worry about it, I'll find one someday, or learn how to code for circuits like that someday.

Don't XT keyboards lack a number of keys you would want to use on a newer PC?

Yes, that was my main objection. You'd have to contrive multi-key aliases for things such as right Alt and Ctrl, F11 and F12, although I get by fine without the Windoze key.

While it's possible to have a 5150 or 5160 and no way to hook a keyboard to it, it's less likely that someone will have a 5150 or 5160 keyboard and a keyboard-less AT+ machine.

One direction is dictated by necessity; the other by a "coolness" factor.

Personally I don't use any of the keys that aren't already present on an XT - you could probably remove a good 20 keys from any keyboard and I'd still be plenty happy. I use my PC AT keyboard a lot and it has the same layout and keys as the XT, I get by without missing the other keys fine. I actually bought it because I liked the XT layout so much and wanted to use that layout on a newer machine, but couldn't afford the adapters ($100 or so, non-switchable)..

If it helps you decide to make an adapter for me the other way around, I don't care if any key not on the keyboard already isn't present.

By the way - I have an IBM 5160 keyboard and no machine, and another XT keyboard with no machine, and two Zenith XT keyboards for one dysfunctional machine and one needs-to-be-fixed machine - so I have LOTS of XT keyboards for my... erm... no XT machines.

Just wondering where the status of the converter was at the moment.

I've been working with my machines quite a bit more lately and it's getting quite tiring to have to keep unplugging the KVM console's keyboard to reset it when I switch between an XT class (i.e. Tandy 1000 series) machine and all the AT compatible machines (PCs, Macs, Suns, Amigas..., soon DEC Alphas :))

Can barely wait for the XT-IDE kits to go out too... I can smell the rosin now! :D

I might need a 2nd KVM chained to the first to make room for all the machines... my co-workers think I need help! :lol:

__
Trevor

Well, add me to the (short) list of people who'd prefer an XT kbd > AT/PS2 adapter, if it should come to pass.

Me too... but I'd also need to somehow convert from the telephone-style connector (it's a 5155 keyboard). I'd love to be able to use those keyboards on a modern computer. I'm not too thrilled with the layout, but it sure has a nice look and feel. (...but maybe I'm going too far for "coolness factor". I'm already using a 1984 IBM AT Model F keyboard to type this. How much more "clicky" do I need? ;))

they're ready. I never actually got to the post office, but I think we can do the following:

$7 each, kit or assembled form.
--------
$3 shipping for USA folks, 1st class in a padded envelope
$5 shipping for folks outside the USA

paypal to jeff at silent.net

Last edited:
Soory for being dense on this,but the total would be $10 for an assembled one and for USA shipping?
If so,all I can say is SOLD!
cgrape2

Hi! The AT2XTKBD works just fine as far as I can tell. For $10 it's a steal and probably cheaper than trying to buy an XT keyboard assuming you get an AT or PS/2 keyboard for free.

I am surprised these haven't been flying out in droves now that the kinks are worked out. Not that Hargle needs more to do... :)

Thanks and have a nice day!

Andrew Lynch

cgrape2: yes, $10 total, shipped to your door, since you live in the USA.
carlsson: yes, first come first served. We ended up building roughly 2x the initial interest in them, so I don't expect a mad rush. In fact, no one has placed an order for one yet.

To all: just let me know (via the notes section on paypal) if you want a kit or pre-built one. Just one word of warning, if you are getting a pre-built one, you are part of my "learning to solder" job. They actually look really good IMHO. I also test them all before they go out the door. I've built up ~10 XTIDE cards and about a dozen of these converters, and all of them work, so I think I'm getting to be pretty competent at the ole iron.

Shall we have a bragging contest who makes the ugliest soldering job? :lol: Anyway, I'm collecting enough kits to solder that I'm perfectly happy with one less item to put together myself.

Hi! Does anyone have access to a wave soldering station that would be willing to help do PCB assembly?

A few hours at the wave station would save Hargle many evenings. Then he would be free to do other things.

Please consider.

Andrew Lynch

Hargle, can you save 2 kits worth of parts for me and send 'em out with the XTIDE kits when those are ready as well?
Or would it just be easier for you if I just pay & send em now?

Thanks again :D
__
Trevor

Hi! Does anyone have access to a wave soldering station that would be willing to help do PCB assembly?
A few hours at the wave station would save Hargle many evenings. Then he would be free to do other things.
Please consider.

Andrew Lynch
Dang! A friend of mine just scrapped his a week ago.

i'll set them aside for you. make sure you've signed up on the xtide ordering spreadsheet for this, so lutiana (who will be shipping everything) knows to combine the orders.
(check the xtide ordering interest thread for the spreadsheet link)

Have any of you kit buyers assembled theirs yet? Just making sure that everything arrived as expected and the thing is buildable and works.

carlsson did yours make it across the ocean?

Back