• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Anyone care to speculate?

It's a Compaq portable case I know that much, but why stick a Mits inside of it? weren't those outdated by the time the Compaq portables came out? It also is lacking the S100 bus system. Someones home custom job is the only thing I can think of?

I wonder if there's even an 8080 inside the box.

Based on the fact that the auction statesit powers up and goes through initalazion, there must be a processor there. The only way to know is to compare the machine-code decoding/encoding map on one of the pictures to the actual 8080 machine-code.

Also, the auction states that it may be a replika, or a prototype.

Based on the fact that the auction statesit powers up and goes through initalazion, there must be a processor there. The only way to know is to compare the machine-code decoding/encoding map on one of the pictures to the actual 8080 machine-code..

No, I was just wondering if the CPU was an 8085, not an 8080. The only way to tell from the front panel would be to try some of the 8085 undocumented instructions.

It's a really nice homebrew hack. Looks better from the outside than the inside, but nice work nonetheless. :)

No, I was just wondering if the CPU was an 8085, not an 8080. The only way to tell from the front panel would be to try some of the 8085 undocumented instructions.

from the pic of the board, best i can tell... its a Toshiba CPU made around 1995... so could be a TMP9080AP or TMP8085AP

so not very vintage lol

Last edited:
Really? I was wondering about all the ribbon cables with the date but I'm not that savvy with innards to know if that dates it newer. It does look like it could be a custom replica with a front panel added but I thought most the folks that made the replicas are all on this board to comment :)

Was there actually an Altair 8800C?

Some of those IC's must have date-codes on them, however, none of the pictures provided are detailed enough to tell what the datecodes says.

from the pic of the board, best i can tell... its a Toshiba CPU made around 1995... so could be a TMP9080AP or TMP8085AP

looks like i was incorrect... as appreared to have a Toshiba logo, but i asked the seller for the markings.. this is what i got back

P8080A-1 with a Intel 1979 copyright (the latest copyright i am aware of for intel 8080s )

the first 8080s had a '74 copyright.. then they moved to '74 '79.. finally '79 for chips produced after mid 1979

Okay, I saw the Intel logo on the chip. Since all of the 8080's that I have are white ceramic carriers, I wondered if it might not be a later chip. When did Intel quit making the 8080?

Okay, I saw the Intel logo on the chip. Since all of the 8080's that I have are white ceramic carriers, I wondered if it might not be a later chip. When did Intel quit making the 8080?

the newest intel 8080 (D8080A) i have is from week 36 1988 (with '79 copyright)
for plastic i dont have (or cant find) anything beyond 1985.

As i havent seen a intel copyright newer than 79.. therefore the latest intel would of produced would of been 1988.
anything newer than that would of been second sourced

Since I like seeing the end results (and it's interesting for historical sake) but the Altair 8800C auction was relisted and ended with 2 bids at $799.00. Kinda interesting. Wasn't anyone here was it?

- John

Back