• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

AT to XT Keyboard Converter

Not yet, but I haven't emptied my mailbox today. I'll let you know when it arrives.

Update February 11: Not yet...
Update February 15: Arrived! :)

Last edited:
I got my converter today, and tested it on the trusty old Zenith SupersPORT. It works like a champ. The numlock key lit up for me, but maybe the keyboard is doing that. I remember someone saying it didn't work.

Todd

If the numlock is an issue, I can have a peek at the code again. It's possible that I screwed something up.

If that's the case, I can arrange a PIC swap for those interested.

Just to clarify, the numlock light is working correctly. I was just surprised as I didn't expect it to work.

Ah, okay. I found a pretty wide range of variation in the controller-to-keyboard timings across models and didn't have the time then to completely chase the specifics down. It could well be that some work and some don't.

So I tried, and... fail.
The arrangement is:

XT clone (CXQ70108D-8 @ 8 MHz, with AMI BIOS) <-> DIN5-DIN5 cable (straight-through, 1.8m long) <-> converter <-> keyboard

I have 3 converters - all cause identical problems.
I tried 3 keyboards - again, identical problems, keyboards tested:
- IBM model M 1391406 (102-key, PS/2 plug)
- IBM KB-8923 (104-key, PS/2 plug)
- Chicony KB-5311 (101-key, DIN plug)

Using CheckIt 3.0 for testing, of course, problems are visible in other programs as well, all running under PC DOS 3.30.

The problems are:
- F5 key is interpreted as F7
- right Alt is interpreted as left Alt
- right Ctrl is interpreted as left Ctrl
- the keys between Enter and keypad are interpreted as those on the keypad
- random keys "sticking"

Anybody else experienced something like this? Any ideas?

No, and I did my testing with a Model M. But an 84-key keyboard doesn't have right and left Alt and Ctrl, so I'm a little confused.

Are these US-English keyboards or perhaps a different national layout (not sure, but it might have something to do with things).

Can you program your own PICs? If so, we can try some firmware tweaks to see what might be happening.

No, and I did my testing with a Model M. But an 84-key keyboard doesn't have right and left Alt and Ctrl, so I'm a little confused.
I'm absolutely sure my clone's BIOS supports enhanced keyboards, I've been using various 101/102-key ones with it, without any software drivers.
Are these US-English keyboards or perhaps a different national layout (not sure, but it might have something to do with things).
Two US, and one (Model M) UK.
Can you program your own PICs? If so, we can try some firmware tweaks to see what might be happening.
Not yet, but I'm going to purchase a programmer anyway, and want it to be as universal as possible, so hopefully in not-so-distant future I will be able to do it.
Jut let me know what I need to pay attention for while choosing a programmer.

Most Willem programmers will handle the small PIC microcontroller used in the converter (they're very inexpensive on eBay). When you get it, let's hook up and try some code changes.

Information about the clone you're using would also be very helpful.

quick question:
the latest and final software version is the one posted about the 3rd page right? 0.9?

I want to build one but I don't know if that's the one I'm looking for, since there are so many posts that I couldn't read them all... I looked for the first 10 pages, and then jumped for the latest post.

Thanks!!!

They are a godsend if you are using a KVM switch to maintain your collection.
I have an 8 port KVM and have 3 of the slots taken up with a PC, XT and a zenith 8088 clone. I've never really been in love with IBM clicky keyboards, so I don't mind in the slightest not using the original keyboard. The only thing I can see being a problem is the handful of games that use F1-10 as controls on the left side, but meh.

I would love to be able to also hook up my PCjr and Tandy 1000 machine into the mix too, and will hopefully figure out Chuck's sourcecode and make an adapter for those guys someday.

As far as hardware goes, andrew will be picking up some more PCBs on his next order, so they will be available again someday soon. I'm happy to warehouse a few dozen of them and sell them as needed.

They are a godsend if you are using a KVM switch to maintain your collection.
I have an 8 port KVM and have 3 of the slots taken up with a PC, XT and a zenith 8088 clone. I've never really been in love with IBM clicky keyboards, so I don't mind in the slightest not using the original keyboard. The only thing I can see being a problem is the handful of games that use F1-10 as controls on the left side, but meh.

I would love to be able to also hook up my PCjr and Tandy 1000 machine into the mix too, and will hopefully figure out Chuck's sourcecode and make an adapter for those guys someday.

As far as hardware goes, andrew will be picking up some more PCBs on his next order, so they will be available again someday soon. I'm happy to warehouse a few dozen of them and sell them as needed.
Any word on the software for the reverse, XT to AT converter?

AT to XT info...

AT to XT info...

Sorry guys I'm a bit of a Johnny come lately here... I am guessing that this device will let you use a modern(ish) PS/2 keyboard on a system looking for XT input ? If this is indeed the case then question 2 is... are these still available, from who and how much ?

Marc.

Hi! The PCBs are not available yet although my plan is to order some when I do the next XT-IDE PCB reorder. Don't know when that will be so I'll post when it happens.

Thanks and have a nice day!

Andrew Lynch

Back