• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Has anyone had success burning XT-ide's BIOS to a Miniscribe adapter?

salamontagne

Experienced Member
Was just curious...Tried it a few nights ago. The replacement chip *might* have been bad, i had plenty of burning issues with it (A 27c64) but, in the end it went in. From what i see, the drive and adapter are not compatiable with standard ide, anyone care to check my Knoledge on this?

Ive had absoulty ZERO luck in getting the drive to work anywhere else exect for the adapter board. Most of the time it would not spin up, seems to want a start-unit command or something, Anyone have any further info on this adapter? (jumper settings, etc)

My friend has one of the boards on order, so this will mostly be a temporary fix.

yes, its 8-bit

yes, its 8-bit

yeah, its an 8-bit hardcard...I'm still trying everything possible to get the stuff off of it ontop a newer system.....i have isa boards available but all of them freeze when the card is plugged in...too slow, i guess

I have a 286 with a 16 bit ISA card that says Winchester on the 40 pin HD connector. I think it was connected to a 3.5" miniscribe drive in a 5.25" mounting bracket (the recycler had to keep the drive to destroy it). The mounting bracket was weird in that the screw holes were not spaced for normal IDE (2 are close spaced on one side, longer spaced on the other).

Since my 286 looks like an early system I asume the HD is an 8 bit XT IDE same with the ISA card.

Miniscribe 8225XT

Miniscribe 8225XT

Its totally an 8-bit system. I was hopeing at the time that i could burn the universal XT-IDE Bios to it and be able to plug a newer harddrive (one that i could use in another system) into it, but from everything ive seen, its just not possible. I'm about to cry in fustration because the 8088 cant talk to ANYTHING. Since it was the only thing available that worked on the 8088 system, my friend and i copied stuff to it, and now i'm just learning that i cant get anything off of the drive, since it wont talk to anythinbg else but the controller card, and the controller card and drive wont work in any other system (Ive tried every ISA motherboard I have, sadly i dont have anything in its vintage) and nothing will work

Ive got to go...the 8088 just gave up on me again trying to format a tape....

Universal is perhaps a bit of a misnomer. It might be possible to tweak the XTIDE BIOS a bit to work in a purely 8 bit environment, but the way the chips were shipped, they were designed to access a 16 bit drive. Shoot a PM to aitoit and see if it's possible to generate an 8 bit only BIOS from his source. He's plenty busy at the moment answering tech support calls though, so don't expect anything immediate.

If this is the drive that I think that it is, it's far from "universal". As far as I know the drive and the controller are made for each other. I remember trying to use a regular IDE controller with the drive on this card and having absolutely no success. Why would you want to change the BIOS anyway?

Thats pretty much what i figured. I had hoped that it being a ide device, that it was possible to attach a regular ide drive (I have a few 40 and 50 meg) as a slave, have the controller pick up the secondary drive, and be able to do a direct copy. The microscribe 8225XT has provisions for more then one drive. Would come in handy in case i ever have to work on a system with this setup again. From what i remember, these hardcards were used in alot of the Compaq "sewing machine" portables, in fact, thats where i think this one came from

Lulz

Lulz

Yeah, I wish the 2716's i have would magically turn into 2764's, but wish i may wish i might...

I finally was able to get the info off of the Microscribe hard drive by plugging in an old 16 bit io/floppy/hard disc controller into the 8088 and plugging in the colorado tracker into the floppy port.

If i get another 2764, I'll try it out. Then again, there's this empty romsocket on the motherboard that i keep stareing at..... but thats another post entirely :p

I've taken a shine to EEPROMs replacing my old EPROMs. No bothering with waiting for the eraser to do its job. 28C64s can be had cheaply (there's a seller on eBay selling one for about $3 shipped). Another option is Ramtron FRAM--basically non-volatile SRAM, so there's not even an erase cycle.

You can use just about any 28-pin EPROM to replace a 2764--just make multiple copies of the image to fill up the blank space.

I've heard about doing the multipule copy trick, thou ive yet to try my hand at spliceing the code. The reason i try and stick with Eprom's is a few years ago, when i was getting into prom burning, an old tech stressed to me the importance of "If it was designed to take xxx part, then use xxx part" He claimed that with newer, faster flash chips that sometimes there can be read issues analogous to the same concept of why with older MFM drives, you needed to set the interleave.

Of course, he's not here to fully explain why, so i should probabily discount his line of reasoning

I've heard about doing the multipule copy trick, thou ive yet to try my hand at spliceing the code. The reason i try and stick with Eprom's is a few years ago, when i was getting into prom burning, an old tech stressed to me the importance of "If it was designed to take xxx part, then use xxx part" He claimed that with newer, faster flash chips that sometimes there can be read issues analogous to the same concept of why with older MFM drives, you needed to set the interleave.

Of course, he's not here to fully explain why, so i should probabily discount his line of reasoning

Sometimes that line of thinking can lead to really expensive decisions with no apparent advantage, other than being a CYA move.

For example, I once knew of a fellow who paid a premium for 200 nsec DRAM chips when 150 nsec chips were half the price. His reasoning was that he was completely safe in using the slower part. This is the same guy, BTW, who refused to use Hynix parts because the originals were branded Hyundai.

In a sense, this is lazy thinking. A competent service person would sit down and compare datasheets and actually attempt to understand the circuit. Replacing a TMS2716 EPROM, for example, with an MM27C16 is not likely to create any problems.

Saying that "an interleave of x" is best for a given hard drive and controller betrays a certain amount of ignorance. The more considered statement is that "application y works best with an interleave of x". Indeed, there were some people smart enough to partition and format their hard drives accordingly, with different partitions having different interleaves, keyed to the application. If CORETEST says that the interleave for a given drive-controller combination is 3:1, you take that as a starting point. In fact, the behavior of the application may be that data requests are better serviced with a 4:1 interleave.

You could see this kind of thing on some of the better (commercial) CP/M implementations, where the boot tracks were formatted at 1:1 because they were simply streamed into memory; the directory tracks were interleaved at 2:1 because a directory search could function at that interleave with no skipped revs, and the data area was formatted at 3:1 because that was a good compromise.

Nodding time....

Nodding time....

Whew.... This is getting to the limits of my comprehension, I'll have to admit..

I'll admit, in many matters like this, I've very little idea on what actually goes on in the bit-by-bit
nitty-gritty. I could have made maters alot easier and cheaper for myself when i got into prom burning (for the sake of network booting to allow for system restore on a windows network)
I was more or less of a follower to what the old tech told me. He said this and that, and i just folowed his dogma.

I'll admit, waiting for the old UV-eraser lamp to erase a chip has gotten quite tedious.. What are you useing to replace eprom's of the 28 pin variety? (IE 2764,2732,27128,27256)

To get this back on topic....I'm waiting for a replacement chip to try the XTIDE's bios on the microscribe controller....The issue of copying the information off of it has been resolved

And,since it still works, i feel obligated to mess with it some more :p

I'll admit, waiting for the old UV-eraser lamp to erase a chip has gotten quite tedious.. What are you useing to replace eprom's of the 28 pin variety? (IE 2764,2732,27128,27256)

The easy rule of thumb is to change 27xx to 28xxx or 29xxx (depending on vendor). So a 27256 could be replaced with a 29C256 EEPROM. A 2764 could be replaced with a 28C64 EEPROM and so on. Your programmer can probably handle them just fine.

Back