• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Pertec drive cabling

NeXT

Veteran Member
Well this was unexpected.
I got off another member in this forum a Pertec ISA controller card (a PCTD-II) that I could use to connect my Qualstar 9-track tape drive to one of my systems.
When the controller arrived however I discovered that the connector on the card differed from the one that came out of my tape drive.

P1023596.jpg

I don't know how many branched standards exist on top of the basic Pertec standard but do you think it would be possible to still use this card or will it not work?

Wow, 50 pins !? There are more signals than that in the Pertec standard--I thought that using a 62-pin connector was pushing things.

But it might be possible. How many of those pins are grounds?

Try this pinout:
http://www.sydex.com/overcbl.html - but it goes to 56

I swear this is the interface we used for our old Qualstar drives in a 386. However, I just schlepped up to the attic and that is a 62-pin cable also. I'll have to look around agian for info on that board.
Edit: Just checked with a former co-worker. The Computer Logistics PCTD II board was used on our original Qualstar drive. We then purchased a txi-16 (which I still use) when we upgraded to Pentium machines. It came with a new cable. We then purchased the pizzabox overland data tape drive that I still use.

The 50 pin cable is probably around here somewhere, but it has to have been in hiding since the mid 90's. Sorry about the screw up.

Edit 2: Found the 50 pin cable too. Man I'm a pack rat. Not only do I still have it, I knew where it was.

Last edited:
So there is a cable that converts the 50-pin connection to 62-pin? Are you syre you got the same qualstar drive in mind (desktop reel-to-reel box and not the more common front-loading units)?

Edit: You think you are a packrat? I got a whole storage room to show you some time! :p

The cable I found is the actual 50 pin D shaped three row on one end. About 1.5m of cable, and two 50 pin edge connectors (Pertec P1 & P2) on the other. This was from a desktop Qualstar drive with an open front. Still have the drive, but it is covered in attic dust and other gunk.

My storage area is 40 ft by 30 ft. Shelves floor to ceiling, full-o-junk. I'm doing a run to the scrapper again soon. I must have 10 or more PII, PIII machines alone. I have drawers full of disk drives (CD-ROM, floppy, Hard drives (IDE, MFM, SCSI).

Last edited:
The cable I found is the actual 50 pin D shaped three row on one end. About 1.5m of cable, and two 50 pin edge connectors (Pertec P1 & P2) on the other.

Buzz that cable out and I'll post the pinout also. A 50-pin cable carrying the signals from a Pertec interface just boggles the mind--the lack of signal grounds must have been a nightmare. The PCTD III has a 62-pin connector, like most other controllers.

That sounds like the proper cable indeed but Ia gree with chuck.
What on earth is going on with these pinouts?

Hello Guys
It seems that I am going to run into the same problem : 50 pins controller, 63 pins cable !
In your opinion, what is the best way to go ( and may be that can "profit" others on this forum ) ?
- Build and 50 to 63 pins adapter.
- Build a complete hardness ( Full cable with 50 pins D connector at one end, TWO 50 pins carte edge connectors at the other ).

Anyway, It is certainly **NOT ** wise to MODIFY the "original" cable !
Your opinions, sirs ??

Pertec drive cabling - 62-pin connector

Pertec drive cabling - 62-pin connector

Buzz that cable out and I'll post the pinout also. A 50-pin cable carrying the signals from a Pertec interface just boggles the mind--the lack of signal grounds must have been a nightmare. The PCTD III has a 62-pin connector, like most other controllers.

Did it ever get resolved the pinout for the 62-connector-case vs. the D-sub 56-pinout at: http://www.sydex.com/overcbl.html ??

Back