• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Wanted: IBM Computer

KC2VLC

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for a IBM computer that can boot DOS. Based on what I need it for, This must be a truly slow computer (preferably under 25 MHz but no more than 50 MHz) and needs to have the ability to turn cache on/off in BIOS.

Also needs to have a serial port.

Let me know what you have, Thanks! :D

Mike

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for a IBM computer that can boot DOS. Based on what I need it for, This must be a truly slow computer (preferably under 25 MHz but no more than 50 MHz) and needs to have the ability to turn cache on/off in BIOS.

Also needs to have a serial port.

Let me know what you have, Thanks! :D

Mike
Sigh... twenty question time...
Genuine IBM or IBM compatible?
Floppy disk drives? What size?
Hard disk? What type? What size?
CDROM?
Network capability?
Display needed? Type?
Tower? Desktop? Laptop?
Is cache required? (some models <25MHz didn't have cache)
Location?
Price range?

under 25 no more than 50 is impossible. but I know what you mean.

There a dozens on Ebay.com in the vintage computer area or this site, the vintage computer marketplace..

search for
ps/2 30
5160 xt
5170 AT
ps/2 25
ps/2 50
IBM 5155
IBM 5140

etc.

why do I answer these posts?

U answer then because there are people the need the help of people more knowledgeable then they are in the realm of vintage computer. The wealth of information contained within those of us that own and use and maintain a vintage machine is beginning to be unparalleled by people who simply want one as a curiosity.

U answer then because there are people the need the help of people more knowledgeable then they are in the realm of vintage computer. The wealth of information contained within those of us that own and use and maintain a vintage machine is beginning to be unparalleled by people who simply want one as a curiosity.
Wow! Really???

Makes it all worth while, doesn't it, Bill?

How about I hijack the thread a little till he comes back. What in your opinions is the most "interesting" IBM Machine. I ask because I am trying to work out which one I want to get next myself.

Hijack successful! To me the most interesting is a tie between the 5100 and the PCjr. The 5100 is portable and some interesting abilities if you have heard the story of John Titor, and the jr has cart slots and also internal boot rom. Both very interesting to me.

Most interesting machine was probably the IBM JX. Cool black case, 3.5" disks, and cartidge slots. With the 3.5" drives only able to hold 360kB, JX defined mid-80s IBM: every good idea had to be counterbalanced by inconvenient incompatability.

under 25 no more than 50 is impossible. but I know what you mean.

There a dozens on Ebay.com in the vintage computer area or this site, the vintage computer marketplace..

search for
ps/2 30
5160 xt
5170 AT
ps/2 25
ps/2 50
IBM 5155
IBM 5140

etc.

Thanks, I'll look into those machines.
The software that I'm intending to use is extremely picky regarding the processor speed. it's called RSS (Radio Service Software) for programming Motorola radios and it was designed to be run via DOS on a slow system...if the system is faster than 50MHz the equipment I'm programming will become "bricked" and I'll end up with a VERY expensive door stop lol :mrgreen:

I'll bet you a model 30 the orginal poster does not reply to our replies. that's what I meant.

I'm sorry, I don't think you won that model 30 :mrgreen:

Not everyone is familiar with vintage computers, that's why I asked.
Oh, and no...I'm not one of those individuals who wants one as a curiosity to just play around with. Some of us have other intentions.

thanks for the follow up. We had a thread a few weeks ago about people who join this forum so they can ask about the value of this or that system, only for the purpose of selling on Ebay.

It makes a person a little jaded I guess, but you have proven the exception to the pattern and for that I salute you.

I completely understand what you're saying about the speed, and if that's what you're looking for I'd try to find an 8086 (IBM 5150, 5155, 5160, 5140, PS/2 25 or 30), or a PC clone with a 8086 or maybe an 80286.

Good luck.

Bill

The software that I'm intending to use is extremely picky regarding the processor speed. it's called RSS (Radio Service Software) for programming Motorola radios and it was designed to be run via DOS on a slow system...if the system is faster than 50MHz the equipment I'm programming will become "bricked" and I'll end up with a VERY expensive door stop lol :mrgreen:
I'm curious about this. how is the radio attached to the PC? through the serial port? If so, how is computer speed related to baud rate? And by bricking, are you talking a permanent, damaged and destroyed forever type of bricking? (how?)

Another option that I might suggest here is a program I wrote called throttle:
http://www.oldskool.org/pc/throttle/DOS

it's designed to run on machines that support ACPI, so you're looking at a machine in the 1996-2000, which should be significantly easier to locate. My test platform was a P3 running at 800MHz, and with full throttling and cache off (which this software also does) performance was on par with a 286 or so. It's 100% invisible to software and is not a TSR, so it takes up no memory.

However, if you're still talking about real damage to your radio, then experimenting with this might not be the best idea...

The software that I'm intending to use is extremely picky regarding the processor speed. it's called RSS (Radio Service Software) for programming Motorola radios and it was designed to be run via DOS on a slow system...if the system is faster than 50MHz the equipment I'm programming will become "bricked" and I'll end up with a VERY expensive door stop lol :mrgreen:<snip>
Somebody (Radioguy) was just looking for a computer to program Motorola gm300 radios; was that you by chance?

Somebody (Radioguy) was just looking for a computer to program Motorola gm300 radios; was that you by chance?

Nope that wasn't me. HAM (Amateur) radio operators who own Motorola radios such as the Saber, Systems Saber, GM300/MaxTrac, etc. normally have to hire a repair shop for programming and that can run up to $60 for 24 channels...and when you have to continuously reprogram new frequencies it's easier to get a old system and do it yourself :D

This is how the radio connects to the computer: Computer > Serial Cable > Radio Interface Box > Programming Cable > Motorola Radio.

Sadly, I can't use a serial to USB adapter since these radios were designed to be programmed with computers manufactured in the 1980's - early 1990's.

What kind of damage can result to the radio? well, this is one of those cases were once it's bricked it's..well bricked :p and normally they end up in a trash bin..

Thanks for the suggestions everyone :)
I'll keep looking on ebay and also here on the forum and see what turns up for sale.

Nope that wasn't me. HAM (Amateur) radio operators who own Motorola radios such as the Saber, Systems Saber, GM300/MaxTrac, etc. normally have to hire a repair shop for programming and that can run up to $60 for 24 channels...and when you have to continuously reprogram new frequencies it's easier to get a old system and do it yourself :D

This is how the radio connects to the computer: Computer > Serial Cable > Radio Interface Box > Programming Cable > Motorola Radio.

Sadly, I can't use a serial to USB adapter since these radios were designed to be programmed with computers manufactured in the 1980's - early 1990's.

What kind of damage can result to the radio? well, this is one of those cases were once it's bricked it's..well bricked :p and normally they end up in a trash bin..

Thanks for the suggestions everyone :)
I'll keep looking on ebay and also here on the forum and see what turns up for sale.
Umm, you still haven't told us any details of what you're looking for, where you are, what you're expecting to pay, etc... (see post#2). It gets old after a while having to ask 20 questions every time.

At one end is a motherboard, PS, keyboard and floppy drive, at the other a full box with hard disk including monitor or even a laptop. And keep shipping in mind...

Back