• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

XT Bios Images

k2x4b524[

Veteran Member
I have been reading the stickies about the ROM info as i have just acquired a ROM burner and would like to start using it, but would like to test it. I have some chips on order, differing capacities.

Any place i could actually GET images of the XT Bios?

After i post this i will search the forum, so this may go away quick :) *Found Site with ALL Images*

Also, if one has it, i'd like the Future Domain TMC-860 8.2 Aswell :) *Still workin on this one*

Last edited:
I have a link at home for a custom XT bios that fixes some issues and looks pretty good. I'll post that link here later.

Are you adverse to flashing chips for other people? I'd love to get my 5160s BIOS upgraded. Where do you live?

EDIT: Its not my modified BIOS, someone else wrote it and posted it. I do not think it has a CMOS setup in it, just some bug fixes and performance tweaks IIRC

Last edited:
Hmm... upgraded XT BIOS? I never really thought about that. I guess you could even go so far as to implement a full CMOS type setup, eh? For the few things worth configuring on the machine... :D

I'll post that link here later.

Here it is.

From the site:

Code:
[B]Bug Fixes[/B]

[LIST]
[*]Warm boot flag restored  after external ROM initialization code (fixes problem where CTRL+ALT+DEL  does cold boot instead of warm boot)
[*]Equipment Flag in BIOS  Data Area now set correctly
[*]Fixed cursor shape when using  Hercules card (was in the middle of the character before)
[/LIST]

[B]Added[/B]

[LIST]
[*]Optional define to always boot  up in turbo mode (TURBO_BOOT)
[*]Optional define for fast memory  check (FAST_MEM_CHECK); uses one test pattern only
[*]Optional  define for 101-key keyboard shift+nav keys work-around (KEYB_SHIFT_FIX)
[*]BIOS  is now EGA/VGA aware; will only test video memory on Mono/Herc/CGA  cards
[*]Nicer boot screen with color support for CGA/EGA/VGA
[*]Processor  and Math Coprocessor detection
[*]Memory test displays count every  8K; speeds up memory check on fast systems with slow video cards
[*]User  has option to boot ROM BASIC even if bootable disk present
[*]Supports  booting from hard drive (if external controller ROM present)
[*]Toggling  turbo on/off sounds high/low-pitched beep rather than changing cursor  shape
[/LIST]

So this site says use 27256 eproms to burn the data onto. These are out of stock at mouser (didn't check jameco). Does anyone know of a compatible eeprom that could be used instead? I'd rather not have to erase these chips by leaving them in the sun for a month. ;)

I've got a pile of 27256 EPROMs and an EPROM UV eraser. Let me know if you have trouble finding them.

Why not just use an MC68764 or -66 EPROM? They're not expensive; they're available and they require no modification.
Definitely the way to go; they're also direct replacements for 8K ROMs used in many other systems like the C64 etc.

But failing that, it's pretty easy to make an adapter to use JEDEC standard 2764+ chips; all except three or four pins are the same (same pins, different numbers because 28 vs. 24 pins), so just stack two IC sockets together with a piece of paper in between to insulate the relocated pins, bend out the two or three pins on the top socket and solder jumpers to the appropriate pins on the bottom one.

While you're at it you could even use a 27128 or larger and connect a jumper or switch(es) to the high address pin(s) to select one (or more) alternate ROM images in the same chip; a few of my systems have that to select different boot roms..

Back