• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

mod 11 keyboard.

dinosaurdave

I intend to try to resurrect my mod 11, but can't find the keyboard. I do have a mod 16 with keyboard.
Although the mod 16 keyboard has a 5 pin male connection on the end of a flying lead from the machine and the mod 11 has a flying lead from the keyboard to the machine, are they pin-compatible ?
In other words, if I make up a short gender-bender lead can I use the mod 16 keyboard with the mod 11 machine ?

Dave.

I intend to try to resurrect my mod 11, but can't find the keyboard. I do have a mod 16 with keyboard.
Although the mod 16 keyboard has a 5 pin male connection on the end of a flying lead from the machine and the mod 11 has a flying lead from the keyboard to the machine, are they pin-compatible ?
In other words, if I make up a short gender-bender lead can I use the mod 16 keyboard with the mod 11 machine ?

Dave.

I presume you mean model 2?

The last model 2 I saw was wired exactly like the 12 and 16/16b/6000... with the socket on the console and the plug on the keyboard.
But your answer is, AFAIK (or remember), that the keyboards are exactly the same. You SHOULD be able to directly swap any keyboard from any of them.

If I AM wrong, surely someone else will be able to chastize me... :D

Wish I had another model 12... but I dont have room for what Ive got NOW !

Leeb,
Thanks, I'll wait a day or two (or should I say 2 or maybe 11 ?) in case anyone jumps in with anything different.
But for the first time since I got the machine I've had a close look at the badge. It's a model 12. So now I am getting confused.
The machines came with lots of manuals. Model 16 Owner's Manual (Model 11 Mode) 26-6040; Model 16 Owner's Manual 26-6040 (yes, same part number on two different manuals) and the 'read me first' book.
So the Model 16 appears to be a Model 11 (that's how it is written in the books) with an additional 68000 processor and thinline drives.
Where does the Model 12 fit into all this ?

Dave

The Model II (not 11) was a z80 only machine with a card cage that allowed you to add a 6800 CPU and memory set.
The original Model 16 was the same size and shape (but usually a different color) as the model II, but included halfheight drives and the 68000 boardset.
The model 12 was a larger form factor z80 only computer compatible with the model II, with everything but the video card built onto a single main board. It had a single expansion slot that had the video controller installed. By purchasing a card cage, the model 12 could be upgraded to a model 16 compatible.
The later model 16 (sometimes called the 16b) was the same size as the model 12, but had the card cage and 68000 board set installed.
The 6000 was an updated version of the later model 16.

Last edited:
The Model II (not 11) was a z80 only machine with a card cage that allowed you to add a 6800 CPU and memory set.
The original Model 16 was the same size and shape (but usually a different color) as the model II, but included halfheight drives and the 6800 boardset.
The model 12 was a larger form factor z80 only computer compatible with the model II, with everything but the video card built onto a single main board. It had a single expansion slot that had the video controller installed. By purchasing a card cage, the model 12 could be upgraded to a model 16 compatible.
The later model 16 (sometimes called the 16b) was the same size as the model 12, but had the card cage and 6800 board set installed.
The 6000 was an updated version of the later model 16.

The significant difference between the model 2 (the 'eye-eye' as opposed to the one-one...) and the 12 is that all of the system functions (EXCEPT for video) were integrated onto the main board of the 12. The 16 actually came out BEFORE the 12 and included the 68k and associated memory/etc, with the same main board as the 12... The significant difference between the 16 and 16b are minor changes to the 68k board/memory and the updated (and supposedly quirky) Tandon 848-2e drives (round lights instead of square). The 6000 had (if I recall) a faster 68k and INTERNAL HD which replaced one of the 8" floppies.

IOW, the model 12 is basically a 'stripped down' version of the 16b.... (your 12 most likely has round lights on the FDs...)
If not, the 16...

IN ANY CASE (or ON any case...) the keyboards are the same even IF they are wired differently.

Thanks for those usefull bits of info. Things are much clearer now.

The 12 does indeed have small round lights on the drives; square ones on the 16.
So the first thing is to get the keyboard wired up and then fire it up. Last time I tried that on the 16, which had been stored in a not to dry outhouse, it resulted in a disconcerting crackle and a whisp of smoke. I had left it in a dry room for a week prior to switch on, so maybe it was just a few spiders going to spider heaven. We'll see.
Dave

Thanks for those usefull bits of info. Things are much clearer now.

The 12 does indeed have small round lights on the drives; square ones on the 16.
So the first thing is to get the keyboard wired up and then fire it up. Last time I tried that on the 16, which had been stored in a not to dry outhouse, it resulted in a disconcerting crackle and a whisp of smoke. I had left it in a dry room for a week prior to switch on, so maybe it was just a few spiders going to spider heaven. We'll see.
Dave

More likely old capacitors going to capacitor heaven. Thankfully these are normally easy to identify (charred, blackened) and easy to replace.

Tez

Which reminds me, Does anyone know where I can get a look at a circuit diagram for the power supply for above models ?

Dave

The original Model 16 was the same size and shape (but usually a different color) as the model II, but included halfheight drives and the 6800 boardset.

Kelly, I think you mean 68000 :).

Did Tandy ever use the 6800 in anything?

Kelly, I think you mean 68000 :).

Did Tandy ever use the 6800 in anything?

i don't think as a computer. maybe in an electronic toy or something. the mc-10 used a 6803, that's maybe the closest, and of course the 6800's successor, the 6809 is in the color computer, but no 6800 unless there's one I don't know about.

kb2syd,
Thanks for the link. However, there seems to be a problem with it. I can't get the pdf to download more than the first 64 pages of the full 204. (=page 51 of the manual) As the power supply is further down I'm stuck.
Anyon know of any other sites with the psu circuit ?

Dave

Which reminds me, Does anyone know where I can get a look at a circuit diagram for the power supply for above models ?

Dave

That reminds me...
Someone on Ebay has apparently disassembled a model 2/16 and they have the parts available... Im sure the video PS is there... and likely the main one too.... Might be worth a look...?

When I took a digital tech course in the early 80s we tended to focus on the 6800 using the Heathkit manuals and an ET3400 trainer which has a Motorola 6800. Don't recall Tandy ever using it tho. I think the school viewed the 6800 as the CPU of the future.

I have a Mod II, the necessary card and a 68000 CPU, altho I never did do the project. It was a comparatively common upgrade at the time.

Lawrence

i don't think as a computer. maybe in an electronic toy or something. the mc-10 used a 6803, that's maybe the closest, and of course the 6800's successor, the 6809 is in the color computer, but no 6800 unless there's one I don't know about.

Last edited:
Is there any chance that the TRS-80 1000 or 2000 keyboard would work on a model II with the correct adaptor? I have a Model II that's missing it's keyboard, and a spare Model 2000 keyboard that I don't need otherwise.

Hi, Folks - I recently acquired a Model 2 (II) without a keyboard. I note in this thread that some say the keyboard for the 6000/12/16 is a 5pin DIN with the wrong gender. Pete Cetinski told me that a gender bender with a wire swap would enable the 6000 keyboard to work. Can anyone point me to a reference for this?

Back