XT IDE Ordering interest? (Was: Xt-ide

Votes: 59 52.7%

Votes: 38 33.9%

Votes: 8 7.1%

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • 5+ (please post how many below)

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
Hello to all. I just registered at the forum because only recently discovered about the XT IDE card.
My 23 year old RLL ST-506 40MB drive went *puf*, and searching and searching for replacements led me to the wiki page about the card. I'm interested in getting one of the kits for assembly, can someone please tell me who should I contact ?
Also, if I get one of those kits, how do I flash the EEPROM ? Do I need some special hardware to do it, or can I flash it once it is assembled and installed on the XT PC (or another PC) ? Sorry about this kind of questions, but my knowledge about EEPROM programming is next to zero, and i'm overly excited to know I could revive my XT PC thanks to this wonderful project.
Sorry for my english, i'm from Argentina.

Hi! I have the PCBs if you will build it yourself. They are $12 each plus $5 shipping outside the US.

Thanks and have a nice day!

Andrew Lynch

Hi! Only Hargle offers the assembled/kits for the XT-IDE. I only offer the PCBs.

Andrew Lynch

At the moment, I am sold out of kits (PCB+parts) but I can add you to the queue for the next batch. I do not know when the next batch will be available; I usually wait until enough people want to buy them to make it worth buying 10 of everything to get a price discount. I need about 6 more people who want cards to contact me before I will buy and kit again.

and while I'm here, I'll mention that I have now moved up in the ranks of VIP at Jameco, and they have offered free shipping on my next order, if ordered before Oct 29th.

they typically go for about $30 for a complete kit.
parts have to be ordered from 3 different sources, so you get a little burned on shipping, plus some parts are only available in 10's, so it is easier to get 10 card orders together and bulk it up.
see the wiki page:
http://wiki.vintage-computer.com/index.php/XTIDE_project
and you can contact me directly and I can put you in the queue for ordering. When I get about 10 cards sold, I can go order all the parts, kit them up and re-distribute.

Hi guys

Woot, just received my 2 cards, going to be fun getting these puppies up and running. Thanks to everyone who's involved. Also thanks Andrew, appreciate the extra effort on getting the cards to me.

I will photograph the build process so if anyone is interested, I will post them.

Cheers.

Woo HOo! They finally arrived! I hope you enjoy building your XT-IDE boards!

Andrew Lynch

yes. see post #308.
These suckers continue to fly off the shelves-all it needs is to make it to slashdot and we'll get another batch of 100 going. ;)

Egads, Don't give them any ideas!

You'll make our happy little sand box hobby a living nightmare!

Andrew Lynch

Trouble in paradise, sorta.

OK, I've got a batch of 15 cards coming my way, problem is that it appears that both jameco and mouser are out of the atmel 28c64b eeproms. I can get some on ebay, but they are more expensive and quite possibly used. Haven't had the time to really scour the net just yet, so I'm looking for some leads to find them in the $3.50 range or less. Apologies to those who are in the queue wanting to buy one of these cards. The prices have gone up now that I'm forced to ship parts in from 4 different locations, and the delay in getting everything we need.

Hi Hargle! Try findchips.com and you'll see there are many vendors of the EEPROM. However, the $3.50 each is a good price and it will require a quantity buy to beat it significantly. Probably not worth investing $$$ in a stock of parts though. Be sure to look for the DIP parts because you can also get PLCC and SOIC format with better unit prices but not useful with XT-IDE.

Andrew Lynch

ok weird.
findchips.com listed mouser, I follow through and now mouser has close to 1k of them in stock. wahh?
anyway, thanks. Problem solved. new XTIDE kits will be available by the middle of next month I suspect.

I'll be waiting. :)

I'm using this on a tandy 1000sx, quick question, it has a hardcard installed (40 meg ST351A/X Drive), can I already hookup a cf card to that controller? (It's a seagate controller, I don't remember which one at the moment, the machine is at my office). It was an hardcard sold by tandy and fits the length perfectly. It's actually a seagate controller.

Later,
dabone

Back