• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Monorail 133 processor support

NeXT

Veteran Member
I have a 133mhz (probably does not support MMX) version of the Monorail all-in-one and seeing how it's got a regular Socket 7 processor, I want to upgrade it to something better.
The thing is I do not know any of the jumper settings for the system so I can't just throw in a nice 233mhz MMX pentium or something even nicer if I can source a better cooling solution.

monorail.gif

Oh wow... it's been many years since I saw one of those! The design was rather impressive at the time, since it was one of the first desktop PCs to use an LCD monitor, but the lack of expandability made it seem rather limited.

Space and cooling constraints will be a major hindrance in finding a CPU upgrade that will work, unless you can find one that uses a small, low-power "laptop" version of a CPU.

I remember that machine, but I never poked around inside one. If nothing else, you should be able to put an IDT Winchip CPU in there. I had good luck in the 1997-98 timeframe using that CPU to upgrade Pentiums. Sometimes it was the only way to get MMX support on the older machines, and you didn't have to have explicit BIOS support for it. Most systems I tried it in just thought it was a Pentium at a weird clock rate.

Unfortunately for you the Winchip remapped the 1.5x multiplier to 4x; the old Pentium 2x multiplier still did 2x on the Winchip, so you'd still have to find the jumper pins. From what I read, if you just remove the jumper pins, then it defaults to a 4x multiplier.

I have my Presario 3020 and it maxes out at a 200Mhz MMX. It had ample room inside for a huge cooler, so depending on the system design that might not be a problem (or might) - have to look to tell. I'd go with a Tillamook chip at 266->400Mhz (depending on FSB) if it takes it.

My cooling solution is kinda crazy.
I have access to the heatpipe assembly that the Powermac G5 uses to keep its bridge chip cool. It's small enough that with some careful flex work I can persuade it to fit inside the system and clamp the main copper pad to the top of the processor. It would be a LOT better than the current stock heatsink.
I have access to processors of various speeds. This includes a 233 MMX Pentium Overdrive. I even have a nice 400mhz K6.

You're pretty lucky to have access to such a huge pile of machines to dig through. It's rare that I get the chance to do that, very rare..

With a little bit of rigging and a little bit of hacking I went from this...
100_1205.jpg

...to this crudly assembled contraption of a heatsink.
100_1206.jpg

It looks nasty but after I make a clamp to hold it to the processor socket it should be ready to work.

Found the jumper settings for the Processor.

Code:
133MHz Processor

For a 133MHz processor you will need to make the following jumper changes:

J16) 1-2: Close 3-4: Open

J37) 4-3: Open 2-1: Close

166MHz Processor

For a 166MHz processor, you will need the following jumper settings:

J16) 1-2: Close 3-4: Close

For a 166MHz processor to be identified and operate properly, you will need to update the BIOS to version 3.21 or higher.

200MHz Processor

For a 200MHz processor, you will need the following jumper settings:

J16) 1-2: Open 3-4: Close

For a 200MHz processor to be identified and operate properly, you will need to update the BIOS to version 3.21 or higher.

Settings for AMD K6-200 Processor (Models 7366 w/MMX, 166LS w/MMX, 7400, 7500, NPC 200LSe only)

For the AMD K6-200, you will need the following jumper settings:

J2) Close

J3) Open

J1) 1-2: Short

J7) Close

Settings for AMD K6-233 Processor (Models 7366 w/MMX, 166LS w/MMX, 7400, 7500, NPC 200LSe only)

For the AMD K6-233 Processor, you will need the following jumper settings:

J2) Close

J3) Open

J1) 1-2: Short

J7) Close

Seeing how all the above processors are 3.3v, I'm assuming there is no way to change the voltage so the best I can do is throw in a 233Mhz MMX K-6 (the early K-6 chips ran at 3.3v instead of 2.8v) and that's it. There is no room for a clock multiplier card as I would not make the clearance of the ISA slot

might someone have a better image of the jumper locations on this board? The layout and labling on this thing is awful.

There's also the OverDrive chips if you prefer to stick with Intel, which would let you do 233Mhz proper Pentium MMX.

Could of sworn I already posted this but whatever...
I have an Overdrive MMX chip here but I have learned that it and the PowerLeap adapters are too tall.
The internals of this case are awful. Just throwing a fan onto the stock heatsink gets in the way of the ISA slot. The heatpipe solution I did is the best solution I could come up with.

Monorail Service Manual (pin layout)

Monorail Service Manual (pin layout)

I was looking for information on upgrading the the cpu on a monorail 7333 and the AMD-K6-233ANR(233mhz mmx) should work just open the Attached Image for pin-jumper changes also their is a MMX VRM module on the diagram .the jumper J2 & J3 are on the VRM Module to enable Dual Voltage for all the other CPUs that require dual voltage.BTW the voltage for k6 233 is :Electrical/Thermal parameters
V core (V)3.2 ± 0.145(MAX 3.345v) V I/O or secondary (V)3.3V (3.135V - 3.6V) .From reading other people that did this it worked but the original cooler might need to be upgraded.

Attachments

• Monorail System Board Jumper Settings.jpg
    Monorail System Board Jumper Settings.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 15
Back