• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Happy 30th Birthday IBM-PC 5150

RJBJR

Experienced Member
Unveiled August 12th, 1981.

I didn't get a 5150 until 1999 when you couldn't give them away.

I half regret parting out mine, would have been awesome to fire it up today and have some fun.

Agreed - to hear the distinctive sounds of those full-height 5" floppy drives and great clicky keyboard alone would make the experience worthwhile..

Happy Birthday, IBM Model 5150 - oh what a legacy! :)

Cheers Valentin

I wonder if you set up an IBM PC on a sidewalk with a monitor and keyboard and joystick and a DOS disk and a game disk (but no manuals), and asked every willing passerby off the street to try the game running, how many people would likely be able to run a game? No hard drives allowed and the game requires no special tricks to run but is not a booter. Give each participant 10 minutes to try to complete the task.

Yes, I remembered this anniversary too, and celebrated it by visiting the local Museum of Technology.

Another Question: Where's your 5150?

Another Question: Where's your 5150?

Mine is sitting prominently in my living room next to the big screen TV.

I still have my three - ,One Black/Green monitor.One with Color Monitor and Vid Card and one parts machine plus manuals.....Im not sure why, but I got em....On display in my computer room.

When the 5150 came out, I was torn between it and the NEC APC. All in all, the NEC APC was probably a better deal for a user, but for a developer, the open architecture was a big plus.

Back