• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

HP ditching tablets and phones, talks about reducing or stopping PCs too

barythrin

Veteran Member
Interesting article with some surprising statements although this is a time lined project not something instant regarding the reduction of PCs being developed. I'm not sure if there's some catch to the article or what. They do specify that they're going to stop making tablets and phones based on the webOS. That could mean that they'll continue to produce systems that run off of other OSs.

Strange statement on the future of the PC market though, especially when they've been number 1 in PC sales last I heard. IBM sold their market off, be odd if HP did the same.

I heard that recently too. I don't think HP will sell their computer manfacturing devision any time soon, but will be thinking about wheather going into the tablet market was such a good idea.

One thing is for certain--HP isn't Bill and Dave's company any more. It's been awhile since I saw a Compaq desktop for sale locally. Carly didn't do the company any favors.

I think it would be appropriate at this point to give the HP name back to Agilent.

Last edited:
Nobody seems to want a money making venture that doesn't have growth. Being number one in anything mature pretty much means little growth, and if there are many competitors in the market and it happens to be a commodity there isn't that much profit. Still if you are number one in sales/volume and you are making a profit why ditch it? IBM ditched computers because they could not make a consistant profit.

I understood why IBM ditched PCs, because they weren't profitable. I can kinda-sorta see HP dropping consumer PCs, but if someone buys an HP PC, aren't they more likely to buy an HP printer? Aren't stores more willing to bundle printers with computers that came from the same manufacturer? Dell sure thinks so on both counts. That's why they started buying printers from other companies and slapping their name on them.

And in corporate markets, the more you can offer them, the better off you are. Sell them PCs, and you're in better position to sell them printers and services. Lexmark can offer printers but not the other two. IBM can offer service but not PCs and printers. It's worth it to break even on the PCs if it helps you sell the profitable stuff--servers, printers, toner, services, switches and routers.

I always thought it was a mistake to buy Compaq, but now they need to make the most of it. And spinning the business off doesn't seem like the best way to me to make the most of it, especially since their complaint is just that it wasn't profitable enough. They're down to three major competitors (Dell, Acer, and Lenovo--four if you count Apple). All of them but Apple are dealing with the same margins. How is making computers going to get much less profitable?

I think they ditched the tablet too soon too. Yeah, it wasn't as good as the others. So drop the price to $299. People are willing to put up with it not being as good if it's half the price. At $299 it's nowhere near as profitable, but tablet hardware costs about the same as netbook hardware, and there's no overhead for the Windows license on a tablet running Web OS. Buy some market share by settling for lower profits, watch the market segment grow and build up a library of apps, fix the bugs... Why not try it? Now they've just thrown away the $1.8 billion they spent on Palm, with vague plans of trying to license it to others. Who's gonna do that?

I love how any time a PC manufacturer changes its strategy people start crowing about the death of the PC. It's like they're ashamed something so gauche as a computer larger than a Post-It note is allowed to exist :/

I don't think advertising you are ditching the PC division will be good for sales. How soon will color laser printers be good enough to kill off color Inkjets? You can get nice fast mono lasers for under $100 new these days.

...and those mono lasers will run for a long, long time on a single (refillable) cartridge.

But then, HP made a pile of money selling inkjet printers that essentially cost less that the ink refills for them.

I think they ditched the tablet too soon too.
I agree. I was just starting to look into getting a WebOS device. I'm sure a lot of people were sitting on the fence for this long, simply to see where HP would go with it. Now that the word started to go around that there's a decent developer community building up, things started to look ready. HP would just have to maybe adjust their line of devices a little bit. I'm certain a large part of the old Palm user base was also just sitting it out, but beginning to stir and get ready to move. Like me.

Too early, HP!

-Tor

What strikes me as very odd (or unbelievably ham-handed) is the announcement that the PC and Pad divisions are up for sale, without disclosing a buyer. That isn't the way things usually are done. It's more customary that "Xyzzy Corp. and HP have agreed to transfer ownership of the PC division for $10 zillion in stock and cash".

Since the PC division is apparently still making money for HP, this is going to depress the stock price.

After Palm's *miserable* track record I really have to wonder what the heck HP was thinking when they acquired WebOS. I know the classic PalmOS has its fans, but the moment they moved to ARM they systematically destroyed any and all claims they had to simple technological competence. (I'm saying this from the standpoint of someone who was stuck with a company-issued Treo 600-series device for almost four years, and I guess it shows I didn't care much for it.)

The original PalmOS, sort of like the original 128k Macintosh's OS, was cute; it was nice; it was friendly; But it did not scale well *at all*, and it's a bit spooky how close the parallels are between Palm's and Apple's handling of the situation. Apple ended up solving it by pitching the baby out with the bathwater with OS X, and that's what Palm finally did... the difference being that WebOS was their *second* attempt after the complete and utter failure of "Cobalt", and in an environment as cutthroat as the mobile phone business it's rare for a company to get the full three strikes before they're out. If they'd managed to make something worth buying in the six years between the Treo 600 and the Palm Pre maybe they could of pulled it off but in the end WebOS came across as nothing but another Android/iPhone wannabe.

On the bright side, there's a rumor floating around that they'll be selling off the remaining stock of the TouchPads for "very cheap". Chances are some hacker will have Android running on the hardware within a few weeks, if it's not already.

Buying Web OS was Mark Hurd's idea. I never thought it would work out the way he thought it would. By the same token, the new CEO (Leo Apotheker?) is giving up on them way, way too soon, after 6 weeks on the market. And he seems more interested in turning HP into the company he came from than in managing the company it is. Granted, Fiorina and Hurd left him a pretty big mess...

Last night on Amazon, I watched the remaining Amazon stock of the Touchpads sell. (What's up there now is all from third-party sellers.) They had them marked down to $299 and, I think, $349. So, about $200 off. That really suggests to me that if HP had priced them lower, they'd have done OK. They cost around $329 to make, from what I understand. I think they should have designed them from the get-go to retail for $299 and $349, having watched them sell down like that. The people buying them at that price had to know they were buying orphans...

NO warrenty, NO support, NO spare parts......

Which is why I'm interested at $149 or less, but not much higher. If it lasts a year or two (or 12--most HP hardware I own has outlived its usefulness) it was worth it. Maybe some people's threshold is higher, but I'm not interested in paying two or three Benjamins for something that's not going to have any support outside of a brief return period. But for $100-$150, sure, because in a couple of years, I should be able to get a better tablet for at least a couple hundred less than they cost now.

The trouble is they aren't exactly easy to find at the $99/$149 blowout prices.

Back