• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

ISA Card Compatibility question

Heh :)

It is of course possible that the OP meant IDC ribbon cable...since that is correct and a confusingly similar term meaning something quite different.

Well, that's probably the issue with any "vintage" technology. "Vas you dere, Sharlie?" is increasingly becoming an issue with old equipment. Quite honestly, if I were just starting out, staring at a card with a 50-pin header, now would I be able to say for certain that is was single-ended narrow SCSI, QIC-02, QIC-36, 8" floppy interface or any other of a bushel of interfaces?

bettablue,

This is what most folks are referencing the Adaptec card with. It's possible that everyone jumped on the common SCSI adapter and you could be right, I dunno.. can't see it :)

Back on topic, to understand you're looking for an 8-bit serial card or something as a trade? Seems like that would be a good deal for someone here.

Back on topic, to understand you're looking for an 8-bit serial card or something as a trade? Seems like that would be a good deal for someone here.
I didn't quite get that either; if he has a serial/parallel card why is he looking for a serial card? We could definitely use some pictures or at least more details before we waste even more time on this confusing thread...

I didn't quite get that either; if he has a serial/parallel card why is he looking for a serial card? We could definitely use some pictures or at least more details before we waste even more time on this confusing thread...

Or if he wants a multiple port serial card.

Well I was mostly trying to establish the question in my mind as well but I'm guessing the ISA cards he has right now are 16-bit and he's wanting ones that would work specifically with an 8-bit 5150 but I thought it'd be best to ask not assume.

I don't think the thread is too confusing other than the Adaptec card conversation, in general he has stuff to sell/trade. If he's really willing to trade several 16-bit cards for 1 8-bit card I think that's a pretty good deal or potentially could post them in the marketplace and see if there are some hits to buy an 8-bit card from someone too.

Thanks for the pics Kishy, nice job.

The card I had (given to my friend this afternoon) has 2 IDE pinouts. There is no shielded connector like you show for the SCSI. I wish I had a camera to take a decent photo for you guys. The two sets of connectors are on the same side of the board like the photo of the SCSI card you pictured on the left, but the connectors are both definitely IDE. Also, there are no external ports or connections on the card either. When installed into an ISA slot, the only thing visible is a blank expansion slot cover so everything it does is internal to the computer.

When I told my friend about it, he was curious too. So when I saw him today, I let him take it for use in his 486 rebuild project. He seems to think it is some sort of RAID adapter/controller. Although I've never seen one like this before either. As soon as he tells me something, I'll post it here. Also, I'll ask him to try to send me a pic of the card to share with all of you.

Sorry this thing is causing so much grief. All I knew when I started this thread is that it wouldn't work in my 5150 and I really didn't have any need for it.

pADpi.jpg

And yes, I did just make that picture myself.

Hi Mike.

Yeah, my 5150 has a parallel card installed, and I did have these sitting in that 486 box, but I didn't realize that some of the cards it had might be used in my 5150. The one I rebuilt from the donor has a seperate parallel and serial cards, so Since the other computer was pretty much already configured for the parts it had, aside from a couple of IRQs, I decided to leave them in that computer. My original still needs a serial adapter. Hope that clears some confusion.

I agree with you. I really could have done this better. But like I had also mentioned. The 486 computr was given to me a few weeks ago. I didn't even look at what was inside until the night before I posted the original message for this thread and that was after I finished both of the 5150s. Since I'm pretty much done repairing the my 1st 5150 and the rebuild of the donor is complete, I'll be much less of a pain in the A _ _ for you all.

Older versions of "Upgrading and Repairing PCs" by Scott M.[/QUOTE said:
Is there a particular edition I should look for? Or perhaps another series that you personally would recommend? I have just ordered his Scott M's 1998 edition this morning

Is there a particular edition I should look for? Or perhaps another series that you personally would recommend? I have just ordered his Scott M's 1998 edition this morning

If you're mostly interested in XTs and ATs, I'd try to find one of the older editions from the late 1980s or very early 1990s. Get into the mid 1990s and you'll have to wade through a lot of Pentium information, much of which you'll probably already know. Half.com is a good place to find the older editions and they should cost less than $15 including shipping. I see the 1988 edition is on Half.com for $2.50; that would be old enough.

Thanks barythrin; Yes, that is exactly what I'm trying to do. If someone wants these 16 bit cards in exchange for an 8 bit serial card, or even an 8 bit parallel/serial card, I would be happy. People are saying that these cards ARE compatible with my 5150. However, I would prefer cards that were actually made for this system.

On another note, I did as suggested and bought a 1987 copy of Scott Muellers book. I do know what more modern are and how they work. Newer systems are definitely much easier to upgrade, but older DOS based systems are a whole other animal, so having a good reference like this is always a good idea.

Well I was mostly trying to establish the question in my mind as well but I'm guessing the ISA cards he has right now are 16-bit and he's wanting ones that would work specifically with an 8-bit 5150 but I thought it'd be best to ask not assume.

I don't think the thread is too confusing other than the Adaptec card conversation, in general he has stuff to sell/trade. If he's really willing to trade several 16-bit cards for 1 8-bit card I think that's a pretty good deal or potentially could post them in the marketplace and see if there are some hits to buy an 8-bit card from someone too.

The card we were all tryuing to figure out tunrned out to be domething the previous owner tried to put together on his own. He actuallu did a pretty decent job of it too. I called him to ask about this card and what he told me made me laugh so hard I almost fell out of my power chair. The card started out as a standard IDE add-on card with IDE and Floppy drive pin-outs. The card was then cut into two pieces where he removed the floppy drive controller bank and installed another IDE connector to use as what he claims as :the first raid contoller". When he got the two cards merged, he then installed into his XT computer in an attempt to conreoll 4 hard drives installed inside. The card works for the connector nearest the expansion bay cover, but won'k work at all for the secondary set of IDE connections. That's why nobody here knew what the bloody thing was. Once I got my composure back, I asked him why he wanted to connect 4 internal drives in his XT. He told me that he wanted two drives running on RAID 0, and the rother pair would run RAID 1. Needless to say, it didn't work the way he expected. He's pretty intelligent, but also not too smart, if you know what I mean.

OK, that's out of the way. Let's try to get back on topic. I have some questions about the original post. Can U use any of these cards with mt 5150? More impotantly, can I juwst swap out my known working parallel port and install the 486s Parallel/Serial card and have it work? Since this is a swappout, will I need to reset the DIP switches in order for the "new" card to function properly?

Also, I have been searching for the drivers for the 3COM Ethernet adapter (listed below) to no avail. All of the sites I was able to find want to install some version of software driver Master, Driver Genius, Driver This, or driver that, to scan the system for outdated drivers, when all I need is the actual DOS driver.

Let's try this again, shall we? Here are the two expansion cards I want to use in my 5150.

Serial/Parallel card - Part No. 4990/2593 PCA-1-0
3Com Etherlink lll 1995 3C5098-C ASSY 03-0021-02 Rev A

What out of these cards can I absolutely use in my 5150? And, can someone point me to the 3Com driver? I jave been looking for several days and cannot find one. 3Com themselves support doesn't go back that far either. Any pointers?

I promise, once these two particular issues have been resolved, I won't be nearly as much of a pain in the ass as I have been ove the last two months. Hopefully, when Hargle gets the new revision of his XTIDE is released. That will complete the main system unit much, much more capable.

Once again, my machine is happy, my wife is happy, and most of all, I am very happy with the computer I got. . Thanks again for all of your help.

Last edited:
I'm finally getting a decent camera this week. I'll post a pic as soon as I can. This really does look pretty bad, like they knew enough to get started, but not enough to complete it properly. (I wish I would have seen this before. Old eyes...) Some of the connections to the added section look like they were done with a trace pen.

I would love to see a picture of the this.

I wasn't sure which way it was either, so I checked. From the README.TXT on the drivers disk:

Q: Can a 3C509B NIC be installed in an 8 bit slot?

A: Yes. The 3C509B NIC can be installed in any 8-bit slot. However, the 3c509B will only work in a computer with a 286 or higher processor.

I wasn't sure which way it was either, so I checked. From the README.TXT on the drivers disk:
I want to say its only certain revisions of the 3c509b that will do 8-bit, I have one that wont detect (by driver or config util) when in 8-bit slot, but another that will, and both are B cards, but different revisions (can't recall which revisions, cards are not in my sight to look at at the moment). And the 286 requirement is semi true, an 8088/8086 with a NEC V20/V30 CPU (80186 instruction set) will run the config util and packet driver (however not the MSNET client driver, that fails).

If someone is interested, I have 2 Etherlink II (3c503) cards that are true 8-bit cards with AUI and COAX interfaces, make me an offer, I dont need these cards, and will take any fair offer or trade. I even have one AUI to Twisted pair media converter, to hook them up to modern hub/switch if you didnt want to go coax (we loved doing coax lan parties back in the day ;-)

Last edited:
Back