• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Internet mourns Steve Jobs' resignation

gerrydoire

Veteran Member
It's a moment many tech fans hoped never would come: Steve Jobs' resignation from the helm of Apple, which he co-founded from his family garage in 1976.

Health going south? :nervous:

I think he wanted to quit the day Apple was the richest company last week, before the slide back down.

Probably. Pancreatic cancer is not something that is not easily survivable. He's looked like hell lately, from what I've seen.
Oh. Is that what he's got? That's bad. Anything just slightly wrong with the pancrea is a huge strain. I only had an inflamed one, and even when it was at a point with just mild pain (before it got inflamed, and after it was over) that pain, when it appeared, somehow dragged all that is positive out of you. Reading an article or a book at that moment? Suddenly it changes from interesting to very non-interesting, there's nothing worth reading. Energy for hobbies or work? Gone. That pancreatic pain was, to me at least, very different from the pain I had at roughly the same internal spot after surgery. That was just pain, it didn't affect my mood or my look on life. And I had no idea, at first, where the pain even came from. Only when I was cured did I realize that I had been partly a zombie the last two years. I had forgotten about the energy I used to have, until I got it back.

If Jobs has got pancreatic cancer then his demonstrated will to get the work done is heroic. It must take a lot out of him. And he's continuing as chairman of the board, from what I hear.

I noticed a lot of Mac users within our community here, I heard this on the radio this morning, almost spitting my coffee out on my dashboard.
I am truly hoping whoever does take over apple, does not run it into the ground.

HP pulled out of tablets/pcs and now this with apple.
What will happen next

EDIT:
I think Tim Cook has the best bet since he took over for Jobs before maybe?

Last edited:
We have entered the post jobs era. I was merely 3 years old when Steve Jobs announced the Macintosh.. I remember my family being so excited about the Mac, It wasn't until 1987 until we got our first mac. I remember Jobs second coming in 1998 when Apple was sinking like the titanic, He somehow brought the company back afloat.. Its been a good run. Lets hope in the Post jobs era that Apple does not go the way it did before.

On the subject of Steve Jobs' health it's actually pretty amazing how many of the Apple Faithful apparently have *no idea* how sick the man really is. Over the years Apple's PR department has (ironically enough) been about as forthcoming as 1984's "Ministry of Truth" when it comes to the condition of what many stockholders consider the company's prime asset. For instance, immediately prior to Job's liver transplant the story being circulated was that Steve had a "Hormone Imbalance". Prior to that Apple is on record crediting Jobs' zombie-like appearances at WWDC conferences to "common bugs" or "food poisoning". The SEC went so far as to open an investigation in 2009 as to whether the conflicting information about the true state of Jobs' health amounted to illegal stock manipulation.

The sad truth almost certainly is that Job's last trip to the doctor involved some very bad news, bad enough to convince him that it was finally time to put things in order rather than wait until it's too late. Apple will live without him and if it doesn't, too bad. From Mr. Jobs' point of view he has better things to worry about.

Tim Cook has been named the acting CEO. Now the only real question is: with Steve Jobs and his Reality Distortion Field gone from Apple can they maintain their current position?

Dean

Jobs resigns

Jobs resigns

I never forgave Jobs for the crap he pulled in the era of the Apple IIGS. He mislead developers who were screwed when he pulled the plug on the Apple II line after claiming for 2 years that Apple had no intention of ditching the II line. I don't mind that the II was the cash cow for the early Mac development, but he out-and-out lied to developers who relied on the Apple II line to feed their families. I had a real problem with that.

I also have a real problem with Apple's business practices surrounding the iPad and iPod. Apple tries to hold the reigns too tight and lock you into their products and also engages in exclusionary practices toward developers. For that reason I won't purchase any Apple products. I AM grateful for Jobs' visions for technology, and the general tech world will miss his visions. I'm pleased as punch that Apple develops concepts and that there are enough fools out there to pay those high prices for Apple's gadgets, but I'm quite content to wait for other manufacturers to take those products and replicate them for a fraction of the cost. (Why buy a Mac portable to run Windows 7 on when I can get as good a product from another manufacturer at a fraction of the cost?) As CEO and company God, Jobs' was responsible for that closed-environment that Apple products represent.

I honestly don't know how much "vision" is Jobs' per se as opposed to Jobs' creating an environment in which visions are allowed to develop and prosper. I suspect it's the latter more than the former. Jobs' expertise is not in technology but in recognizing the potential of technology and finding those with the knowledge to make things happen. It takes a certain type of leader to create an environment that allows revolutionary products to develop, and unfortunately those leaders are too few and far between. We can only hope that his hand-picked replacement will continue to foster that environment within Apple that will allow it to continue to be a hotbed of ideas & new products.

With regard to Jobs as an individual, I am sorry beyond words to hear about his medical problems, and I don't wish those problems on anyone. Pancreatic cancer is a real death sentance, even these days, and liver problems are no walk in the park either, although the medical world has made great strides in liver and kidney transplants the last 20 years. From the looks of him, I'd say he doesn't have very long to live, and I'm glad to see that he finally has recognized that & taken appropriate action for Apple's sake.

I remember the hacker friendly Apple Computer of the Apple II era fondly and wish Steve Jobs only the best for his health.

It is ironic though that the same unquestioning media who worships Apple and Steve Jobs but at the same time demonizes Microsoft and Bill Gates.

I think any fair reading of history shows whatever criticism which applies to one also applies to the other.

Andrew Lynch

Job was more interested in creating an "appliance" rather than a hacker's dream machine; this is evident in the design of compact Mac line, and later the iMac line. The II was initially available as a kit only at Woz's insistence.

Job was more interested in creating an "appliance" rather than a hacker's dream machine; this is evident in the design of compact Mac line, and later the iMac line. The II was initially available as a kit only at Woz's insistence.

Yes. Jobs focus was always on the computer as a cool, marketable appliance for doing things, keeping the technology as invisible as possible.

I regard Steve Jobs as an icon who contributed much to the "consumerisation" of computer technologies and computer-based services. However, in the overall scheme of things, there are other icons who share the same podium of influence in the history of computing such as Bill Gates for example.

Some see Steve Jobs as a God-like messiha. I don't subscribe to that view. While he did lead Apple out of the wilderness once he was re-engaged, he is human and his unbending will and self-belief lead to mistakes in the early days. There is still a good argument that if he hadn't been sacked from Apple at the time he was in the mid-1980s, the company might have gone down the drain, Apple would have ceased to exist and we might not be talking about Steve Jobs now.

Either way, diseases such as cancer can challenge strike anyone from the iconoclasts to the most humble of people. I wish him well in the struggle with it.

Tez

Last edited:
The tech in me likes to attribute the Apple II line to Woz also as the hardware inventor and Jobs as the sales/money side. Obviously Macintosh and that drama I contribute to Jobs which also had a sour note. Still even the IIc was kinda where I disliked Apple for flipping on their previously hacker friendly mentality.

The tech in me likes to attribute the Apple II line to Woz also as the hardware inventor and Jobs as the sales/money side.

This is the way I view it too. In the early 1980s the ethos in Apple (largely driven by Jobs) went from supporting open architecture (Apple II) to closed (Mac). At the time of the Mac, IBM was the seen as the competition. However, the IBM machine was open architecture and was very much like the Apple II in that regard. Thierin lies the irony.

There is even more irony in the 1984 ad that shows IBM "people" as being mindless zombies controlled by big brother. When I look around at people I know completely locked in Apple services via Itunes etc. having bought totally into Apple's corporate marketing and history re-write (Apple invented the personal computer, yeah right!), I have to wonder who the zombies and big brother actually are today.

Tez

Last edited:
Back