• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Does this thing give anyone ideas?

I'd been looking at similar devices (Seeed Studio and SparkFun carry similar things) to integrate with my 8085 SBC serial board. It would require a 3.3V regulator on board but that's not a big deal. It seems that the particular model you linked has the 3.3V to 5V TTL converters onboard, which is a big advantage over the parts I'd been looking at, which were intended for use with modern uC devices running at 3.3V.

The price is definitely right -- just placed an order for two!

I suspect that a buck switching converter (e.g. LT3971) from one of the RS232C signal lines may be enough to power this thing. Just plug it into a serial port on your vintage PC and you're connected!

Cheap and speaks RS232C

Say, something to plug into a vintage PCs serial port for transferring data?

Very interesting. With XTIDE Universal BIOS this would mean a harddrive over a wireless serial connection*. Too bad it seems to be limited to 115.2 kbps? Especially since Bluetooth can do a lot more...

* My brain just came up with a new acronym: WISH = WIreless Serial Harddrive. Remember where you read it first! :)

Now, I wish I had a WISH... ;)

no flow

no flow

Very interesting. With XTIDE Universal BIOS this would mean a harddrive over a wireless serial connection*. Too bad it seems to be limited to 115.2 kbps? Especially since Bluetooth can do a lot more...

* My brain just came up with a new acronym: WISH = WIreless Serial Harddrive. Remember where you read it first! :)

Now, I wish I had a WISH... ;)

hi all,

just a quick note to say those modules from deal extreme have no hardware flow control. also, they are a far cry from a wire replacement. they may interfere with protocol timing. byte streams are packetized and experience buffering delays..

cheers steve

Browsing DX gives me all sorts of crazy stupid ideas.... It's who I bought the four Cree-Q5, voltage regulators and reflector from for my bicycle (powered off 18650 cells recycled from busted laptop batteries)

Right now I'm drooling over this:
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/5-cree...drop-in-led-module-52-7mm-42mm-8-4v-max-35241

Whenever I need some tiny componant -- from ten-packs of LED's to voltage regulators to simple module boards, I check DX first... I mean, how many places still sell these at a decent price?
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/pc-mot...eshoot-boot-failure-diagnostic-pci-card-21997

SATA to IDE converters for four bucks, laptop PATA to desktop for two bucks, USB audio for 5 to 7 bucks (only way to get DECENT working audio from a hackintosh)... I have to be careful browsing DX, I could blow a whole months pay in five minutes on two dollar items.

Even if it does come on the slow boat from china...

Back