• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Who here does not want one of these !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?????????????????????

Ha, that is pretty cool. Someone should buy some and resell at a VCF or somethin' ;-)

Yeah? What's that look like? :D

Like this:

PanicKey.jpg

The keyboard is an old NCR-branded German-made Cherry. Great keyboards. One of the office supply places sent little boxes with the key glued inside. I looked at it and realized that it was a Cherry and I just happened to have a few keyboards to fit it.

All the way to F30!!!

I'll have to go to confessional for lusting on a keyboard...

Although I am pretty faithful to my black Trackpoint II...

Heh. These have F1-F10 down the left side like the XT keyboard, then F11-30 across the top. I think F11 is Shift-F1 and F21 is Ctrl-F1. Good feel and they're auto-switching.

Heh. These have F1-F10 down the left side like the XT keyboard, then F11-30 across the top. I think F11 is Shift-F1 and F21 is Ctrl-F1. Good feel and they're auto-switching.

Sounds like a dream. I've decided that I like Cherry switches. Currently using a Cherry POS keyboard with brown switches at work... it's nice to type on, mainly because it's clicky without any more noise than the worn-out rubber domes that I'd become accustomed to working with.

Now, I'm trying to avoid becoming a keyboard hoarder... laugh. I'd love to try out some Cherry blues, or have the "perfect" layout with my keyboard. At first thought here was "man, an NCR keyboard with Cherry switches? I need that to go with my MCA NCR system!" :)

If it makes ya feel any better ahm, I lol'd at your comment. Wish they had other keys available, not a Mac user myself but don't think I'm a control freak either. I guess they're made from stainless steel then plated after in silver or gold?/bronze. I guess they'd have to lease the rights to other logos which would probably kill the profit margins.

http://pimpmykeyboard.com/

These aren't Cherry caps (there are places that sell them too). These fit over existing keys w/ tape. Ghetto solution, but usable on more than just Cherry boards.

Well, I doubt that my keytop is available any longer. I seem to remember that I received a couple of them in the mail around 1995. It could well be that these were sent out from Inmac or CDW.

I do note on eBay there are a lot of different sets of Cherry keytops offered, however.

Chuck, I've seen them from time to time in the last few months on eBay. I suspect that it's geekhack members organizing group buys for custom-made Cherry-compatible caps from Chinese manufacturers. If anyone's really interested in these, go poke around geekhack.org and see what you find mention of.

Edit:

Here - I've done the work for you guys :)

These come from Signature Plastics, who runs the pimpmykeyboard site I referenced earlier. Apparently you can order Panic from pimpmykeyboard and request a Cherry MX stem (at least according to the geekhack thread I referenced above)

They also offer Red Escape Keys.

In addition, I found reference to another custom keycap site on geekhack - Fentek.

Last edited:
I have been looking for the red "Panic Button" and the "Any Key" Keys for some time. I just bought both.
They aren't what I would call cheap, but oh well. It's only a few dollars.

http://pimpmykeyboard.com/

These aren't Cherry caps (there are places that sell them too). These fit over existing keys w/ tape. Ghetto solution, but usable on more than just Cherry boards.

Back