• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM PC/XT rear slot guides?

bettablue

Veteran Member
I am the very proud new owner of an AST Six-Pack Plus card that I just installed into my IBM 5150 PC. This is a full length card. So during the physical installation I noticed that the guides at the rear of my case are no there. It appears that there should be something to support the end of the card. It doesn't seem to be an issue right now, but I was curious if I should try to fin a set to install into the rear of my 5150's case assembly.

Is there something missing, if so, does anyone have a set to sell?

Thanks again...

~T~

Maybe looking in a other old case.. And praying they are in.. I dont think you wouldnt find those anymore on ebay or so.

I've got a ton of the guides used on clones; I assume that they're similar--retained by two "nubs" pushed into matching holes in the case. If this is right, I'll take some measurements and you're welcome to them if they'll work.

Again Chuck, you come through in my quest for the minor things that I turn into major issues. So yeah, if they measure up, I'll take a set.

I've got a ton of the guides used on clones; I assume that they're similar--retained by two "nubs" pushed into matching holes in the case. If this is right, I'll take some measurements and you're welcome to them if they'll work.

I have a Barrel of Monkeys full of slot guides. So if anyone is in need of them, send me a PM and I'll slip a few in the mail to you.

DSC00785.jpg

3" center-to-center on the nubs. I'm certain that I'm not alone in having a bunch (as evidenced by the previous post). A full set were usually packed with clone cases and long-board makers would also include one with their boards.

So you can get them from a lot of people (or me).

The slots in the XT chassis has about +/-0.2 inch tolerance on the spacing for the guide attachement knobs, so I don't think that should be much of a problem as long as the clone guides uses approximately the same spacing as the IBM ones.

Apparently IBM shipped the guides together with full-length cards, instead of installing all the guides into the machines during manufacture. I have also had IBM systems that only had guides on the slots already containing Full Length cards.

You see variations on this--one handy one had all of the guides as a single piece and once you had all the nubs pushed home, you had all of the card guides in.

All in all, though, there was enough variation in the size of "full length" cards to either make for a too-tight fit (i.e., the card bows) or not tight enough (i.e. the card edge doesn't "catch" in the guide). It's a flawed system. The PC system is not a very good one. For reliability, you can't beat the old fashioned card cage (for example, the system used on the NEC 9801-series PCs is much superior and more amenable to good cooling).

You see variations on this--one handy one had all of the guides as a single piece and once you had all the nubs pushed home, you had all of the card guides in.

All in all, though, there was enough variation in the size of "full length" cards to either make for a too-tight fit (i.e., the card bows) or not tight enough (i.e. the card edge doesn't "catch" in the guide). It's a flawed system. The PC system is not a very good one. For reliability, you can't beat the old fashioned card cage (for example, the system used on the NEC 9801-series PCs is much superior and more amenable to good cooling).

Microchannel had one intention to have adapters fit - and be inserted/extracted - better than they had on earlier systems...

Then you see a BOCA microchannel adapter, with no keyway on the card, that can have it slide forward and back in the 8-bit section...

The horror, the horror...

Actually since there are some differences in card length, and design, I'm hoping to get a couple of different sets. That way when I build the expansion unit, I'll be sure to have some of the correct length for a couple of the cards I'll be installing. I have a full length Sound Blaster and a network multo adapter card that are both full length, although the sound card is about 1/8" longer than the network adapter. I have already responded to vwestlife and asked for some from him, but would still like at least a couple more so that when I'm ready to assemble my expansion unit, I'll be sure to have at leaset one in the correct size, and one for my current setup on the six-pack.

Please PM me and I'll reply with my address and what you want in return.

3" center-to-center on the nubs. I'm certain that I'm not alone in having a bunch (as evidenced by the previous post). A full set were usually packed with clone cases and long-board makers would also include one with their boards.

So you can get them from a lot of people (or me).

Back