• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Is it possible to have a shared network folder on vista that windows 98 can access?

Tr3vor

Experienced Member
Exactly that. My Pentium's USB support is not that great and crashes a lot when I use my flash drive. I want to send files back and forth between my windows 98 pentium computer and my windows vista laptop via network.

Sure, just enable NetBEUI protocol on your Vista system. A lot of folks here do just that. As a matter of fact, I use NetBEUI to share between Windows 2K-XP-OS/2-Win 9x and even MS-DOS.

Do you know of any tutorial of how to do that. I don't really have any experience of networking, except playing lan games and internet sharing. I have played around with the shared folder on 2 xp computers before. So how do I enable NetBEUI on my vista system? and when I made a shared folder on my vista computer, how can I make it show up on the win98 computer?

Think it'll be fine. Just wanted to add two things.

If it doesn't appear in Network Neighbourhood, (even under Entire Network etc), try opening explorer and actually type \\laptop_name.

As a last resort, share a folder on your Windows 98 machine, rather than the other way around. I know my Windows 7 machine has no problems at all dropping files on Windows 98, but it can take ages for it to appear in the list, so I manually type it's name.

I don't have NetBEUI though, just TCP/IP with 'Allow NetBIOS over TCP/IP' checked.

According to that web page, those instructions are for XP, but I tried following them as good as I can, and I tried installing the NetBEUI, but it doesn't show up. It says for XP that the NetBEUI is on the XP disc, so I guess its the same for vista, and I don't have any vista discs.

the protocalls on my win98 system are:

TCP/IP -> Intel(R) PRO/100+ Management Adapter
TCP/IP -> NE2000 Compatable

Those are your adapters assosciated with the TCP/IP protocol. Once you install NetBEUI, along with that, it will also list, "NetBEUI-> Intel(R) PRO/100+ Management Adapter *and* NetBEUI->NE2000 Compatable"

Well I tried installing it but it wants the windows 98 install disc for some reason. so I go and get the disc and put it in, the cd drive recognizes it, but WTF? it can't find what its looking for? but its in there!

how can I make it see the file on the disc?

Which files is it asking for? I vaguely remember the files it wants, but it will tell you that the files being copied are older than the existing ones. Pull up the search pane and search the CD for the files.

it wants protman.dos, rpcltc5.dll, rpclts5.dll, ndishlp.sys, and netbeui.vxd

its telling me that "the file 'protman.dos' on Windows 98 Second Edition CD-ROM cannot be found"

Is it a genuine second edition disc?

Also try C:\WINDOWS and C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM

Often I've found the files are already there it just insists on recopying network files at times.
Eventually I got sick of this, and copied all the CAB files in to the OPTIONS\CABS folder so I never got asked again.

What I'd do (not saying this is the best option, just what I'd do):
- just use TCP/IP which is already installed on both
- enable file sharing on Win98 machine if it hasn't been turned on yet
- share a folder
- hop on vista box and type \\name_of_98_machine in explorer

Most of those are located in .cab folders on the CD, but those files should also be on your hard drive. Point the installer to the /WINDOWS and /WINDOWS/System directory.

EDIT: Spidersweb, you beat me to it.:)

Also on Vista, you can view the devices on your network from an option on the left side of the Network and Sharing center windowthat says, "View Computers and Devices."

Last edited:
One problem, when I go to the network window on vista, the only thing it shows is the laptop, and not the win98 machine.

Oh wow, I'm an idiot. The name of the cd drive changed from E to D when I changed around some drives... duh. Lets see if it will find it in the D: drive...

yeah thats the problem, but nothing shows up anywhere still.

Last edited:
I usually go the other way, opening up a Win98 folder for read/write access from the Windows Vista box. It is much, much easier.

The step needed is under advanced network settings on Vista to get both Win98 and Vista to be in the same workgroup. Vista's default network setup does not let it see drives on older operating systems.

I know it works because I have done it to backup a Win98 system.

Now this probably a stupid question, but how do you make a shared folder on win98, and how would that help anyway, if the vista computer wont detect it in the network?

Back