• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

My IBM 5150 so far.

bettablue

Veteran Member
Am I bragging? Probably, but that's what this forum is all about, right?

I am definitely the proud owner of a beautifully kept and restored IBM 5150 Personal Computer. There are virtually no signs of wear anywhere on the computer, monitor or keyboard. When the system was delivered to me, it came in the original boxes with all of the packaging materials intact. That accounts for the remarkable physical condition of the case.

The system came with an original 1984 256K mother board, plus an IBM CGA graphics adapter that has a parallel port instead of the usual composite out, plus it had the usual floppy controller with dual 5.25" full height floppy drives, a 384Kb memory expansion, IBM 5153 CGA color monitor and original 83 key keyboard.

Repairs to the system were all centered around the original floppy drives. Neither were very stable while reading known good floppy diskettes, so they were both sent in for cleaning and calibration. One drive was completely gunked up with old floppy residue, and the other was definitely way out of alignment. However, they were both soon repaired and working perfectly.

I have since upgraded the system a couple of times, ending with the following: Removed the original 384Kb memory expansion along with a combination parallel/serial port card, and game controller. Then a new AST Six-Pack plus was installed that has it's own 384Kb Ram, clock, parallel, asynchronous serial port and game port all in one. Before this upgrade, all of the PCs internal expansion bays were filled and no additional expansion was possible. However, by installing the AST Six-Pack,one of the internal expansion slots remained open. That will be used in the very near future. An extender card for an IBM 5161 Personal Computer Expansion Unit will fill out the available expansion in the main unit.

The system also has an IBM 5152 graphics printer, and most importantly, the aforementioned IBM 5161 Expansion Unit.

The IBM 5161 Expansion Unit is also in fantastic physical condition. While it may not be in the exact same condition as the 5150 Personal Computer as far as signs of wear are concerned; what is visible is very minor. Two of the cork pads on the underside of the unit were missing. So they were replaced with stock that is so close to the original, they may as well be. No-one can tell the difference. In addition, there is a single scratch that arcs across the very top of the expansion unit's case. This scratch is so minor though that it can only be seen under certain lighting conditions. It most certainly did not go through the paint, but barely caught the surface.

The expansion unit came with no useable hard drive or controller. However, a Full Height MFM 10 Meg Miniscribe hard disk drive with a Xebec conroller was purchased and installed. There is of course, the receiver card needed to allow connection to the main PC, and it came with an additional game controller card. which was removed, due to the fact that the PC already has a game port adapter as pasrt of the AST Multi card.

Future upgrades will be additional ISA cards to complete outfitting the expansion unit. These will be things that won't be affected by the additional wait states inherant with the installation of the expansion unit itself; such as a 33.6Kbs data/fax modem, dual serial port card, 8 bit network adapter, sound card, etc.

In the end, this will pretty much be the best IBM 5150 Personal Computer system that could have been bought or built back when these computers were new. And most importantly, keeping in line with my own personal desire to keep the system as close as possible to being all IBM, I think I've done a pretty good job! I'll post more photos as I make more progress, and of course, the final project.

All I can really say is that I'm quite proud of what I was able to put together, with the help of a few people here in the forums.

Attachments

• IMG_0005.jpg
    IMG_0005.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0003.jpg
    IMG_0003.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0004.jpg
    IMG_0004.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0005.jpg
    IMG_0005.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0006.jpg
    IMG_0006.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 1
Heather, not sure of your location, but I've one up for sale... great shape, 2 x 360kb drives, 640kb RAM. PM me if interested.

And Bettablue... nice looking system. Quick question though - are you missing the slot covers on the expansion unit, or was it just in a state of disassembly in the first picture? Let us know if they're missing... easier to be on the look-out :)

Last edited:
More photos

More photos

For your viewing pleasure, I'm posting these pics of the actual 5150 system as it is currently. I'll be adding more photos as I make progress with the expansion unit, and of course, I'll even see about linking to a video of the entire setup running. The last photo is one I put together to show what the sysyem "could" look like. I may actually place the expansion unit on the bottom shelf of the desk so as to not change the monitors viewing angle.

Attachments

• IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0004.jpg
    IMG_0004.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0019.jpg
    IMG_0019.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0020.jpg
    IMG_0020.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 1
  • Mockup.jpg
    Mockup.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 1
Expansion unit....
Colour screen....

*drool*

That looks really nice! One major comment... try to get a nice desk for this baby. Something as nice as this deserves a prettier place with more space.

Like this:
ibm-chaplin.jpg

Expansion unit....
Colour screen....

*drool*

That looks really nice! One major comment... try to get a nice desk for this baby. Something as nice as this deserves a prettier place with more space.

Like this:
View attachment 8214

Ah, but that's the beauty of the desk I have my system on. See, it's portable. Which means that I can move it to where I want to work. Plus, with a minor update to the top shelf, it will not only hold everything, but there will be enough room to spread the system out sideways to acommodate the 5150 PC, and the expansion unit on one side, with the display on the other. That will also provide space for the manuals, or I could even place the expansion unit on the bottom shelf, which will raise the printer and paper higher underneath to a more use friendly level too. This desk does offer a lot of options. In fact, my desk is quite similar to the one Charlie is standing next to. But I have shelves.

:p Expansion unit assembly is complete. So I thought before I really get started playing around with the configurations, I would post a photo of the setup I'll be using. :cool: It is on a portable desk for mobility. I am able to take it to my living room, bedroom etc. I placed the expansion unit at the bottom shelf of the desk because if I were to stack the 5150 PC and the 5161 expansion unit, the monitor would also be raised too. That would make viewing the monitor much less comfortable. Besides, the expansion unit has a 3 ft cable conneting the extender and receiver cards. As you can see though, the system is working and it will boot to DOS from the expansion unit's hard drive, but I still need to configure DOS to include the printer driver, and the rest of the hardware installed into the expansion unit. :yinyang:

So there is a bit more work involved. I have to read more of my DOS 3.1 manuals to learn to configure it all properly. I hope to have it completed by the end of next week. :roadwork:

Just a note to those who are considering making an offer for the expansion unit, or of the entire system. It's not for sale. I have had a lot of offers recently, but Im not in the mind to sell. Don't get me wrong. Some of the offers I've gotten were quite interesting, and almost one made made me think of accepting, but I enjoy this system too much. Sorry. :computer:

Attachments

• IMG_0026.jpg
    IMG_0026.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 1
Thanks Mav. No Everything is complete. I only have one hard disk in it as of right now, but there is a front face plate attached to a drive "cage" that I'm using to fill the front spaces. On the rear, I have all of the expansion slots covered as well. I'm attaching a photo showing the cage assembly so you can see what was done there. I would really like to get a real expansion unit face plate, or a blank faceplate from a PC or XT machine. The first pics are of then the unit arrived. The seller did a pretty good job packing up the unit, but he still had a broken controller. The board would fit into a standard 8 bit slot, but there was nothing to hold it in place. Chuch(G) sold me a Xebec controller and pre-configured it to work with the Miniscribe 11 Meg full height drive I bought. So now all that's left is to configure the hardware in the system, set up the proper IRQs and then install DOS and get the configuration files written properly so everything works the way it should.

I have a full outline and story of how the expansion unit assembly progressed on my Facebook page. Most of my content is private, but I do have the IBM photos open to the public. Please feel free to take a look. And if you're a member of Facebook, please join my Vintage Computer page, and submit a friend request.

The photos I've attached here are just enough to show some of the pieces I've added to the expansion unit to complete the assembly. As always, I would live to hear your comments, both here and on my Facebook pages as well.

Hope these help too in some small way.

Attachments

• Drive Bay.jpg
    Drive Bay.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 1
  • Expansion Unit 2.jpg
    Expansion Unit 2.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 1
  • Expansion Unit 3.jpg
    Expansion Unit 3.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 1
  • Expansion Unit 4.jpg
    Expansion Unit 4.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 1
  • Expansion Unit 8.jpg
    Expansion Unit 8.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 1
This is a VERY nice specimen of vintage IBM gear, all looks like the day it was unboxed back in the day. I don't think anything in my mini-museum is in that pristine of shape.

Beautiful thread, beautiful machine, beautiful setup.

Thanks for sharing! Keep the photos flowing, and post some Youtube videos of it in action, when you can.

This is a VERY nice specimen of vintage IBM gear, all looks like the day it was unboxed back in the day. I don't think anything in my mini-museum is in that pristine of shape.

Thanks for noticing. Yeah, the entire system is super clean inside and out. OK, I'm bragging now, but there are absolutely bo dings, scratches, bumps or missing parts anywhere. Even all of the cork "feet" are all there. A few were replaced with some that were made by one of the forum members here. And a couple of people, namely Chuck(G) who took care of getting my floppy drives working properly, and ole juul who gave me the extender and receiver cards even before I had an expansion unit, were a great help. Chuck even sold me the MFM controller too, and configured it before sending it down so it would work with the Miniscribe 2012 drive. Indeed, a lot of folks in the forums have helped me get my system the way I want it. There are still a few things I want to do, but I'm about 95% there.

Very nice complete 5150 setup you've got there. Are you going to put a second hard drive in the 5161 or is 11mb fancy enough?

From how much work you've put into this seup over the months, you might as well have a whole room dedicated to it.:)

Very nice complete 5150 setup you've got there. Are you going to put a second hard drive in the 5161 or is 11mb fancy enough?

From how much work you've put into this seup over the months, you might as well have a whole room dedicated to it.:)

Lol! It looks like I've done quite a bit with the system, but in reality, I haven't done nearly as much as it looks like. The physical labor is probably less than a couple of days. Most of the work on the PC has been in research, and when that failed me, which is has (a lot) I came to the forums for answers. All of the members here have been fantastic! I do want to install another hard drive, but right now, the money just isn't there to afford another one. Besides, when I do , I think I'm going to buy and install a newer Western Digital controller too. WD controllers seem to have the support for just about every MFM drive manufactured,with very few exceptions. And, they're a lot smaller as well. There are a few more things I want to add, install, configure. Who knows? Maybe I'll pop for an XTIDE with a dual CF card adapter that I can use to allow the CF cards to be accessed directly from the rear of the expansion unit. One would be used as my primary bood drive, while the other would be partitioned off for other operating systems, different software types, like business and productivity apps, Games, and system diagnostic programs and tools.

To be completely honest, I think that's way above my confort zone and technical ability. :dunce:

Later, I'll probably go ahead and get the WD controller and a 70 or 80 Meg MFM drive to complete the expansion unit and system. If I go the XTIDE rout, I'll still hold onto all of the parts the XTIDE replaces. So, other than the drives, I would estimate that my system is roughly 90% complete. If and when the day comes that (God, forbid) I have to sell the system, I'll want to sell it with the hard drives installed, keeping as close as possible to being as original as possible. With prices starting to rise, and the rarity of what this system is, I'll definitely be able to sell it for a hell of a lot more than I put into it. Hell, I've already gotten some pretty interesting offers.

As far as where to keep/display my baby, my den is currently the best spot. It's private enough so that as we have company, most people don't know it's there, yet it's still accessible enough to share when I want. That portable desk sits next to my primary desk, which holds my primary Windows 7 computer. The desk was something my wife found a couple of years ago. She WAS using it as a laptop station, but when I bought the PC, well I had co confiscate it. :taz: Besides, I think its an almost perfect work station for my 5150, plus the 5161, cassette, printer and a couple manuals. Its open all around, so everything can breathe. Besides, I have complete access to all of the connections, etc, etc, etc... That portable desk is nice too, because I can take the entire thing into my living room to work with as I watch TV. So far I already use the computer to write my blog, do digital translations work, write documents for work, and even print some of my correspondences. Man, I love working with this old lady!

I also have another vintage computer. It's a 1996 Compaq 5304 with 233MHz processor, 64 Megs of RAM and a 4 Gig hard drive. my Tweener" lives is in our spare bedroom on a small work table in a corner. It's only purpose is to write floppies for use with my 5150. I actually removed the 3.5" floppy and replaced it with a 360Kb HHH floppy drive. As the Ugly Betty of the group, nobody sees that it any way. It's got mismatched drives, and nothing about it is what you would call... worth anything at all. It's just not interesting to anyone but me. If I do get everything working the way I want, and my 5150/5161 system can access my shared drive through the network, I won't have any need at all for the old hag. So I guess then I'll try to either sell it as a vintage gaming system, or strip it all out to sell for parts, I'm sure the floppy drive is worth something, even if the rest is worthless.

OK, I need to stop! I must have rewritten this reply a dozen times. Your simple question has opened the floodgates to a whole world of conversations, and possibilities. There's just so much I want to include, but this is neither the place, nor the time. Maybe, I'll post something on my blog. That should be a pretty boring read. :)

Besides, when I do , I think I'm going to buy and install a newer Western Digital controller too. WD controllers seem to have the support for just about every MFM drive manufactured,with very few exceptions. And, they're a lot smaller as well.
I have lots of WD controllers, both new and used. Problem is, most of them are 16-bit whether they're MFM or RLL. The few 8-bit that I do have are all RLL so I really can't be of help to you on this matter. Someone must have a good, 8-bit MFM controller. I see there's several on eBay and their prices range from $15 to $200.

I have lots of WD controllers, both new and used. Problem is, most of them are 16-bit whether they're MFM or RLL. The few 8-bit that I do have are all RLL so I really can't be of help to you on this matter. Someone must have a good, 8-bit MFM controller. I see there's several on eBay and their prices range from $15 to $200.

As always stone.. You're on top of things. I appreciate you looking, but for now, I definitely have to wait a while before doing any more buying. The expansion unit caught me off guard, and buying the few parts I needed for that almost killed my account. I have to wait fort the funding to clear Paypal too. Once that clears, I'll start looking again. Oh well, it's only 30 days.

Then too, if I buy an XTIDE I might have to hire someone to come to Vegas to get it all working properly. LOL!!! (OK, maybe not)

Nah, the XTIDE is easy -- it's basically just Plug'n Play. :) Besides, you can't use one of those cards anyway 'cause it would break your authenticity scheme. You don't want to do that, do you?

Yeah, you're right. I want to keep the system as original as possible, but at the same time, I think adding the ability to basically swap out a CF card on the back of the unit to upgrade programming, or add new software... Well, that would be sweet too. But then, having a completely original system connected to my network would accomplish the same thing, But the XTIDE will be faster, BUT the hard drive noise is awesome, But the XTIDE is quieter......

I'm definitely going to stick to my original plan and try to get the WD controller and MFM drive. :)

No, I won't get into that kind of discussion; especially with myself! LOL! It's bad enough that polio survivors like me obsess over the smallest of things like this voer weeks at a time. XTIDE will have to wait till I build another system, which I plan to do later. And that system will be built around the XTIDE, not the other way around. Plus, I'll be using a 5160 as the base computer with mono graphics and composite out. But that's en entirely different animal.

Back