• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM PC Dos Version 1.0 kinda I think

This item is the Version 1.0 disk but with a Version 1.1 manual I think.

Would not having the original matching manual greatly reduce the value?

I would think so, but the diskette itself is likely to garner about what they're asking. However, what did come with 1.0?

I've got a 1.1 disk and a couple of 2.1s, but I don't anticipate finding a 1.0 any time soon. I'm certainly not going to pay a collector's prices for it.

This is on eBay as the Holy Grail or DOS. I am very new here and the information provided to my questions has been fantasitic.

This item is the Version 1.0 disk but with a Version 1.1 manual I think.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/IBM-DOS-Ver-1-00-HOLY-GRAIL-OF-DOS?item=290698933271

Would not having the original matching manual greatly reduce the value?

Thanks,

Jimmy

Jimmy,

If I was interested in this item I would have a friend take the seller to the woodshed. For an asking price of half a grand U.S., the auction should have ten to twenty pictures showing everything being offered, including model numbers of the manual slipcase, binder, and cover page, copywrite page, and Preface, to include a complete history of any revision(s) or of the fact that the manual started its life as a version 1.10 manual. I would have my friend tell the seller that as far as I was concerned, the auction is only for the disk without cover and the manual pages without binder and slipcase, and not worth more than one hundred dollars at most (and this is probably inflated, as well).

I would have the friend (pick one who doesn't buy anything this guy sells) tell him that his item description is proof that he has flunked as an ebay seller and I hope he looses his listing fee with no sale and stops selling on ebay to improve the overall quality of sellers on ebay.

Sean

I must say, I was surprised when I clicked on the link. What? Only one picture and no description? I do think this item has the potential to sell for the starting price, but with this unusual presentation might indeed go unsold.

And of course there's the bane of the game collectors, counterfeits...

I was just looking carefully at my disks yesterday and trying to ascertain how easy it would be to print a similar label. The thought would be to make a couple for disks that go with the computers where they belong and keep the originals elsewhere. I decided actually that it would be so easy that if I did it, I would have to include an unobtrusive distinguishing mark so as to prevent someone making a mistake in the future, intentionally or otherwise. It is indeed possible that someone could have a different perspective.

Jimmy... for that price, you should get a complete copy of 1.00 - I've seen it go for that price in the last year or so more than once. I've also seen it hit double that price in the last year or so. With this guy's poor photos, I expect this to go unsold. The travesty will happen when some idiot decides that a single floppy disk is worth that kind of money and pays it, thereby further inflating the value of the product. Sigh. And so it goes... ebay.... the best - and worst - thing to happen to collecting, anything.

I was just looking carefully at my disks yesterday and trying to ascertain how easy it would be to print a similar label. The thought would be to make a couple for disks that go with the computers where they belong and keep the originals elsewhere. I decided actually that it would be so easy that if I did it, I would have to include an unobtrusive distinguishing mark so as to prevent someone making a mistake in the future, intentionally or otherwise. It is indeed possible that someone could have a different perspective.
But, that wouldn't even be the hard part for someone (not you, Ole) who had counterfeiting on his mind. IIRC, all IBM system disks of this era were made without a write protect notch. So, if someone were to make a copy he'd need to find a suitable housing for it -- one without a write protect notch, before he could even dream of putting a fake lable on it. If anyone is in doubt as to the authenticity of this eBay disk, ask for a full pic of it and look for a notch -- if it's there, it's a fake.

It used to be that duplicator disks that had no write-enable notch were fairly easy to find. One can just as easily re-use a duplicator disk from some other product.

But, that wouldn't even be the hard part for someone (not you, Ole) who had counterfeiting on his mind. IIRC, all IBM system disks of this era were made without a write protect notch. So, if someone were to make a copy he'd need to find a suitable housing for it -- one without a write protect notch, before he could even dream of putting a fake lable on it. If anyone is in doubt as to the authenticity of this eBay disk, ask for a full pic of it and look for a notch -- if it's there, it's a fake.
No problem; I've got a few hundred disks (DD & HD) without a notch, and a drive modified to write to them. Hadn't occurred to me how valuable they'd be to certain people... ;-)

Good tip though, Stone.

I would have the friend (pick one who doesn't buy anything this guy sells) tell him that his item description is proof that he has flunked as an ebay seller and I hope he looses his listing fee with no sale and stops selling on ebay to improve the overall quality of sellers on ebay.

Sean

What fee? As far as I know eBay does not charge a fee anymore to list item for the small volume sellers. Hence the ridiculously inflated starting prices. It used to be that you had to have a starting price of 0.99 to avoid the listing fee but now you can do whatever and if the item sells you pay the flat 9%. It has sent eBay to the toilet with all sort of idiotic price listings for trash.

No problem; I've got a few hundred disks (DD & HD) without a notch, and a drive modified to write to them. Hadn't occurred to me how valuable they'd be to certain people... ;-)

Good tip though, Stone.

One of those drives would be very handy at times....

If that modified drive of yours will support 160k SS floppies.... ferget the rest -- just PM me your phone #. :) :)
Actually I just realized what a big mistake I made mentioning those disks; I may have trouble unloading my 50 original PC-DOS 1.0 disks now... ;-)

Seriously, I do have a version 1.1 with manual; what's it worth these days?

Depends how many fools are bidding ;). Realistically I've seen it go for about $50 usually. Although a last year one guy was unloading his IBM stuff and his manuals were selling for $350.... The 1.0 has gotten real high I've seen a few go for $700 in the past year.

One of those drives would be very handy at times....

Just cut the wire and add a switch so it will either write to anything or not write to anything. That's very handy in may ways. When it's off you have a safety, and when on, you have the luxury of not having to peel off those little sticky tabs which are vintage items.

Does anyone have a scan on the label for the v1 disk? It would be nice to have a replica in the disk box anyway.

Back