• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Ibm ps/1

If you don't change the dallas chip:
-The floppy drive will not work
-Every time you reboot the computer you will have to press F1 to bypass the configuration errors
-The system will boot only from ROM drive (using PC-DOS 4.0 and quad screen) and not from the operating system installed on the hard disk (forget the idea of using freedos)

The Dallas chip is not soldered to the motherboard, replacing it with a working one will not break the board.

Hi Nestor,

Ive been following all your posts now, and hope you can clear up something for me. I am almost certain my DS1287 is also dead, as I get the 161 and 163 errors, etc, and my floppy drive also doesnt work.. But, I wanted to ask if you could clarify something... By "doesnt work" i mean the floppy motor never spins.. The light will come on for a brief moment, CONFIGUR.EXE some times will go between thinking it is a 1.2mb 5.25" drive (which it isnt) and a 1.44mb 3.5" drive (which is correct) - if i access A:, the drive access light will come on, but the motor never turns. Is this the behavior i would expect if the problem is with the clock chip?

Also looking at the ribbon cable on the floppy drive, it appears as though PIN 1 is cut, but if I recall from when i had this system 20 years ago, I seem to remember it was like this on my old system too...

Anyways, if you could give me some tips that would be great!

All the symptoms you describe are caused by the dead DS1287, but I think the drive motor should spin. I remember using a DD floppy disk to launch configur.exe and it gave a lot of read errors, but at least i could see the contents of the floppy with DIR command.
Maybe your floppy drive doesn't work (I have a Mitsubishi one that behaves like that)

Hi Nestor,

Also looking at the ribbon cable on the floppy drive, it appears as though PIN 1 is cut, but if I recall from when i had this system 20 years ago, I seem to remember it was like this on my old system too...

Yeah, one wire is cut and there is no seperate power cable so the ribbon cable must power the floppy. Don't know if a proprietary floppy is used

EDIT: PS/1

Last edited:
All the symptoms you describe are caused by the dead DS1287, but I think the drive motor should spin. I remember using a DD floppy disk to launch configur.exe and it gave a lot of read errors, but at least i could see the contents of the floppy with DIR command.
Maybe your floppy drive doesn't work (I have a Mitsubishi one that behaves like that)

Cool, I think im going to buy a new floppy drive, i just figured i'd ask wether the DS1287 affected the motor first before replacing it for no reason!

I have an old IBM PS/1 Type 2011 without any modifications. These were a favorite computer of mine and I still like them because they were so simple to work. They are also able to type papers quickly because of their fast startup time. I could start from a cold boot, open a Works file, print the document, and be down the road before some of the newer computers could complete their startup process. LOL!

The CMOS battery appears to be dead and it has error codes 303, 161, and 163 at startup. I purchased a new DS12887 CMOS battery and installed it. After installing the new DS12887 battery I got the same error codes. Can you tell what I need to do to get the new battery to unlock and start the new battery to working? I have tried pressing both mouse buttons from a cold boot and still get 303, 161, and 163. Do you think I got a dead battery when I bought it? Thanks.

You probably need to re-enter the settings in the BIOS to get those error codes to go away. I'm not familiar with that exact model, but either you need to press a key on the keyboard to enter the BIOS settings or you need an IBM reference disk for the 2011. This bootable disk allows you to access the BIOS settings.

IBM PS/1 Type 2011 Configuring CMOS

IBM PS/1 Type 2011 Configuring CMOS

You probably need to re-enter the settings in the BIOS to get those error codes to go away. I'm not familiar with that exact model, but either you need to press a key on the keyboard to enter the BIOS settings or you need an IBM reference disk for the 2011. This bootable disk allows you to access the BIOS settings.

I am not sure if I have an IBM reference disk for a 2011. I do have a IBM dos disk but it is not responding to it. Maybe the battery I got is dead.

IBM PS/1 2011 Constant Beeping

IBM PS/1 2011 Constant Beeping

Check this site: http://www.elhvb.com/mobokive/eprm/eprmw/39.htm
And see if you can get into the BIOS by pressing the F1 or F2 keys.

The key board is not responding and there is a constant beeping sound. The monitor is displaying error codes 303, 161, amd 163. Then the monitor displays the function keys while pointing at the F1 key. The key board does not respond when pressing F1 or anything else.

Here are what those error codes mean.

303 - KB error; I learned that the hard way a long time ago :D
161 - CMOS configuration lost (battery has died)
163 - CMOS error; Clock is not updating
So basically, the battery is dead and it is affecting the on-board clock, and the KB is malfunctioning some way.

Now I am wondering if the DS12887 is not compatible but some people say they use them. Who knows? Maybe I should try installing a new DS1287 instead.

The key board is not responding and there is a constant beeping sound.

Your keyboard is not working. The constant beeping sound is a clear signal. Inside the IBM PS/1 keyboard (Model M2) there is a controller board with two SMD electrolytic capacitors that tend to break down. You can open the keyboard, unsolder these capacitors and solder two new capacitors. Or you can use any standard PS/2 keyboard instead ;)

That will make any 30X error dissapear. The other two should be gone when you run the CONFIGUR.EXE setup utility (the PS/1 BIOS SETUP application). It should be located in C:\DOS

Last edited:
What battery was inside it before you replaced it? I'd use the DS1287 instead of the DS12887. Although I think only one pin needs to be bent back on the 12887 to make it essentially a 1287. Then (until you fix it), use another PS/2 keyboard and see if you're greeted with C:\.

IBM PS/1 2011 CMOS Battery Setup

IBM PS/1 2011 CMOS Battery Setup

Your keyboard is not working. The constant beeping sound is a clear signal. Inside the IBM PS/1 keyboard (Model M2) there is a controller board with two SMD electrolytic capacitors that tend to break down. You can open the keyboard, unsolder these capacitors and solder two new capacitors. Or you can use any standard PS/2 keyboard instead ;)

That will make any 30X error dissapear. The other two should be gone when you run the CONFIGUR.EXE setup utility (the PS/1 BIOS SETUP application). It should be located in C:\DOS

Thanks for the help. For the time being I have removed and replaced the DS12887 and the constant beeping has stopped. Several IBM PS/1 keyboards have been hooked up but the 303 error code still appears at startup. An IBM PS/1 2011 DOS installation disk has been loaded to floppy from a cold boot but nothing happens. Right now I have the system running quietly in an effort to charge the system.

According to the Dallas Semiconductor website (maxim-ic.com), the DS1287 has been discontinued and the product data sheet says the DS12887 is a direct replacement. The DS12887 is designed to work until 2099. It is my understanding the DS12887 battery is designed to be preserved in "new" condition until it it started up. Once startup has been done the new battery is activated. Now, if I could only get to the config.exe to get it to configure the battery.

What battery was inside it before you replaced it? I'd use the DS1287 instead of the DS12887. Although I think only one pin needs to be bent back on the 12887 to make it essentially a 1287. Then (until you fix it), use another PS/2 keyboard and see if you're greeted with C:\.

My PS/1 had a DS1287 in it to begin with. One of the things I was wondering about was the amount of memory each battery used and if it has an effect on the IBM micro channel architecture.

http://www.jameco.com/Jameco/Products/ProdDS/76646.pdf

http://datasheets.maxim-ic.com/en/ds/DS12885-DS12C887A.pdf

IBM PS/1 Type 2011 CMOS Setup

IBM PS/1 Type 2011 CMOS Setup

Okay, thanks again for your help and wealth of knowledge. After letting the PS/1 2011 run for a while I started from a cold boot, got the same screen with 303, 161, 163 error codes with an arrow pointing at the F1 button. A constant beeping sound started. I decided to unplug the PS/1 keyboard and plugged it back in with the unit running. The beeping sound stopped and the F1 button started working. Then I was able to go into dos and set the date and time along with configur. The year 2012 is now loaded and is displayed as it should. Now I need to give it a cold boot to see if it will run like it is supposed to.

my P/S1 TYPE 2121 has ISA slots, is twenty years old and no change of battery. The keyboard has given up the ghost

Okay, I gave it a cold boot with everything (keyboard, mouse, etc.) plugged in and got error code 303 with a beeping sound and the press F1 screen but the 161 & 163 error codes have gone away. When I unplugged the keyboard with it running the beeping stops and the keyboard functions. It goes to the quad menu after pressing F1 and number lock has to be pressed to get the number pad to work. I have several IBM keyboards that were working well when they were put up. Now I am wondering if the keyboard has to be reconfigured to get a normal startup from a cold boot.

Back