• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Ibm ps/1

PS1 2011 hard drive issue

PS1 2011 hard drive issue

hi nestor,

I also got a PS1 a few days back. no monitor but I powered it up with a self made power supply. The battery in the dallas chip is dead for shure. I also get the 161 and 163 errors and can't use the floppy.

I got the PC without a hard drive and would like to add one. Why do you say a ide hdd can't be connected to the it? is it because of the connector or is the hard drive of the PS1 2011 a MFM or ESDI drive?

thanks!

The PS/1 2011 comes without ISA slots, so you can't put a SCSI, IDE or MFM controller card and use a standard disk. The motherboard has a 44 pin conector for a propietary hard disk (the same used in some IBM PS/2 like the Model 30-286)

The PS/1 2011s are interesting. I almost bought one when they came out but decided to go the generic clone route. Looking back it was the right decision for me at the time. Liked that the PS/1s had an OS in rom and it's interesting to see what folk are doing to them 20 years on.

I'll be watching this thread with great interest. Don't forget the pictures ;)
713px-IBMPS1.jpg

Last edited:
How can i create a self made power supply for the ps/1?
Is easy?

yes,
you need just a transformer 110 or 220 VAC (depending weather you live in America or Europe) to 24 VAC, a rectifier Bridge 2.5 Amps is enough and a capacitor of at least 1000 uF. This rectified Voltage of around 33 VDC is perfect for the PS/1 model 2011.
I installed the PSU inside the PC a couple of days ago but you can also put it in a nice box outside the pc and connect it trough the DB15 connector on the rear of the PC. On the DB15 male connector - pin 1 is +33VDC and I don't remeber wich pin was ground but you can check with a ohmmeter or let me know and I will check for you.

hi nestor,
I figured the hard drive must be some kind of proprietary one. I just found this specs: http://www.ibmmuseum.com/ohlandl/misc/IBM_IDE.html#IBM_XT_IDE and measured the voltages on the connector, and get the +12V and +5V on the right pins so I am pretty shure this is the hard disk type. I was also lucky to find a XT-IDE drive with a capacity of 20 Mb on ebay. I am still waiting for it to arrive and I will give it a try to install it. I am still not sure if this drive will fit in the small case of the PS/1 but hope it will. And as a bonus I will have to do some wiring for the new hard drive since it does not have the IBM proprietary one.
I will inform you if this works.
By the way, could you send me a image of your hard drive or the files zipped?

hi nestor,
I figured the hard drive must be some kind of proprietary one. I just found this specs: http://www.ibmmuseum.com/ohlandl/misc/IBM_IDE.html#IBM_XT_IDE and measured the voltages on the connector, and get the +12V and +5V on the right pins so I am pretty shure this is the hard disk type. I was also lucky to find a XT-IDE drive with a capacity of 20 Mb on ebay. I am still waiting for it to arrive and I will give it a try to install it. I am still not sure if this drive will fit in the small case of the PS/1 but hope it will. And as a bonus I will have to do some wiring for the new hard drive since it does not have the IBM proprietary one.
I will inform you if this works.
Good luck, I think the drives used in the PS/1 Model 2011 are IBM proprietary and not XT-IDE...

By the way, could you send me a image of your hard drive or the files zipped?
Sure, but I must warn you: all the original software that came in the hard disk is in Spanish.

hi nestor,

i will give it a try installing a XT hard drive, at least this way we will know if this can be done or not.

as you disasambled your monitor, do you know if the speaker is connected directly to the output pins from the pc (15 pin male connector) or is there some sort of amplifier integrated with the monitor?

i have no problem with the spanish version of the software (i am from Romania) and understand all italian-based languages pretty well. When you have time, my e-mail adress is: alexandru.floca@yahoo.de

I have sent you the files.

By the way, I'm looking for ROM dumps of U18 and U36 EPROMS from a PS/1 2011 with 4screen in english, italian or other language (I have spanish and german ones). Do you have them?

I have owned the beautiful PS/1 2011 model, I really miss booting up that quad screen. :|

In theory, do you think it would be possible to run que quad screen under the IBM PC DOS on a virtual machine like VMWare?

I would also appreciate if you could send me the original software, it's really rare to find, thanks.

I have a TYPE 2121; the floppy drive seems to be powered through the floppy drive data cable. The hard drive controller works
fine with a new 512 mb ide drive.

Don't know if the 2011 used ide.

EDIT: I recall downloading a patch to run the Quad screen with MS_DOS 6.22

The original autoexec.bat had a line about call or load "stub"

I've been looking for the 5.25" floppy drive adaptor unit for my PS/1 for about 20 years and have finally sourced one. Woohoo!

I have one ps/1, sadly it doesn't work though. I've been still trying to get the mainboard to work, but so far no go. :S Rest the machine is complete though, and from the outside looks totally functional.

Model 60

Back