• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Ibm ps/1

Now I am wondering if the keyboard has to be reconfigured to get a normal startup from a cold boot.
No, there is no configuration for the keyboard. I think that if the keyboard works when you disconnect it and connect it again, is related to the capacitor problem. At least one of my PS/1 keyboards behave like yours and I fixed it replacing those capacitors.

If I recall correctly the common keyboard error is 301 (keyboard missing). I don't know what exactly means the 303 error, but is related to keyboard / 8042 controller for sure.

The error 303, more specifically, is this:
Keyboard and/or system board interface error; keyboard controller fault
This website has pretty much all of the IBM error codes.

IBM PS/1 2011 Error Codes 303, 8602, 162

IBM PS/1 2011 Error Codes 303, 8602, 162

No, there is no configuration for the keyboard. I think that if the keyboard works when you disconnect it and connect it again, is related to the capacitor problem. At least one of my PS/1 keyboards behave like yours and I fixed it replacing those capacitors.

If I recall correctly the common keyboard error is 301 (keyboard missing). I don't know what exactly means the 303 error, but is related to keyboard / 8042 controller for sure.

Well, now I am getting error codes 303, 8602, and 162 from a cold boot. The machine boots normally from a warm boot. When I unplug and replug the keyboard it works. When I type mouse from the command prompt the mouse is either there or not there but the mouse works. When I run configur it updates and says there is an error and it says I have either a 1.2 floppy or a 1.44 floppy. Talk about confusing. One time I did a cold boot and only got error code 162. What the huh??????

303 Keyboard and/or system board interface error; keyboard controller fault

8602 Pointing device: mouse interface error

162 CMOS checksum error, CRC error, or adapter ID mismatch

IBM PS/1 Type 2011 CMOS Battery Replacement

IBM PS/1 Type 2011 CMOS Battery Replacement

Well, now I am getting error codes 303, 8602, and 162 from a cold boot. The machine boots normally from a warm boot. When I unplug and replug the keyboard it works. When I type mouse from the command prompt the mouse is either there or not there but the mouse works. When I run configur it updates and says there is an error and it says I have either a 1.2 floppy or a 1.44 floppy. Talk about confusing. One time I did a cold boot and only got error code 162. What the huh??????

303 Keyboard and/or system board interface error; keyboard controller fault

8602 Pointing device: mouse interface error

162 CMOS checksum error, CRC error, or adapter ID mismatch

Well, it has been a while since I got stuck trying to replace the CMOS battery on my IBM PS/1 2011 PC. A newer keyboard was plugged in and the 301 error code vanished. To be honest, after I typed the previous message I ended up totally crashing the system when I tried to reload the software. Several days passed and I took the time to try and recover the system. The floppy drive would not respond but I got the C: prompt working on the hard drive. The DATE and TIME commands were completed to set the clock. At this time I remembered MSWORKS was used on this computer as the DOS editor. I could remember only a few of the DOS commands that remained in the ROM so I held down both mouse buttons from a cold boot and got the quad menu to appear. All the software had been removed from the fixed disk so things were really stuck. I created a DOS and WORKS directory on the C: drive with the MD command. Then I clicked on the lower part of the quad that says, "your software," and clicked on "help."

Believe it or not the system prompted for the TUTORIAL disk and the floppy drive came back to life. Then I began running the WORKS TUTORIAL and the system began to respond again. Afterwards I went to FDISK and made sure the fixed disk was installed and labeled as it should be. Then I installed the IBM DOS disk from the Your Software section of the quad and the DOS commands appeared from the disk. At this point I checked the Configur.exe and found everything to be properly installed so I proceded to install the software. About 15 minutes later my PS/1 was up and running as it is supposed to. Now all of the software is installed and it boots without any error codes. Yipee!

I just wanted to thank you people for the help you provided. Thanks again.

IBM PS/1 2121 CMOS Battery Replacement

IBM PS/1 2121 CMOS Battery Replacement

After installing a new DS12887 CMOS battery in my IBM PS/1 2011 I decided to replace the CMOS battery in my IBM PS/1 2121 386 computer. The PS/1 2121 has a CR2032 lithium battery located under the modem. It was much easier to replace than the 2011 battery. The floppy drive works great. Now my 386 is up and running very well again. I hopped up my PS/1 2121 with a 545 MB hard drive, 6 MB of RAM, IBM PC DOS 7, Windows 3.1, and MS Office Pro. Now it is a screaming power house!

Do you have the 4 MB expansion card for the 2121? I would love to see some hi-res photos of both sides of it!

Do you have the 4 MB expansion card for the 2121? I would love to see some hi-res photos of both sides of it!

My 4 MB memory expansion card is not an IBM OEM card with black handles. Mine is an aftermarket card with white handles. My PS/1 2011 has a 2 MB memory expansion card with white handles also. Are you still interested in photos of it or do you only want pics of an OEM card?

IBM PS/1 2011 & 2121 Aftermarket Paragon Memory Expansion Cards

IBM PS/1 2011 & 2121 Aftermarket Paragon Memory Expansion Cards

Here's a couple of pics of my Paragon 2 MB memory expansion card for my IBM PS/1 Type 2011 286 computer. I was able to install IBM PC DOS 7 on the 2011 and write a cache that enabled the computer to run Windows much better. The 386 2121 would run Windows much better but it would run on the 286.

I will have to remove the aftermarket Paragon memory card out of my 2121 and snap pics of it if you are still interested.

IBM PS1 2011 PARAGON 2 MB MEMORY CARD 01.jpg

IBM PS1 2011 PARAGON 2 MB MEMORY CARD 02.jpg

Ibm ps/1 type 2121 6 mb memory expansion card

Ibm ps/1 type 2121 6 mb memory expansion card

I'm interested in pics of any 4 MB RAM expansion for PS/1 2121

Thank you!

I never took the time to compare these memory cards until now. They both have the same part number and revision on them. There are different countries stamped on them. Hmmmm.....what would happen if I installed a 2 MB card in the 2121 computer and what would happen if I install a 6 MB card in a 2011 computer? I'm not sure if I want to try because I just got both these computers running very well.

Here's the pics of the 6 MB card Nestor. What do you think?

IBM PS1 2121 6 MB MEMORY CARD 01.jpgIBM PS1 2121 6 MB MEMORY CARD 02.jpgIBM PS1 2121 6 MB MEMORY CARD 03.jpg

I think that is a 4 MB card, the 2121 has 2 MB onboard, giving 6 MB total when installed.
As you can see in the PCB, there are 3 different cards: 512KB, 2 MB and 4 MB.
Both 2011 and 2121 support 512 KB and 2 MB cards, I tested it. But I don't know if the 2011 will recognise the 4 MB card.

Thank you for the photos GTM.

Ibm ps/1 2011 & 2121 ram

Ibm ps/1 2011 & 2121 ram

I think that is a 4 MB card, the 2121 has 2 MB onboard, giving 6 MB total when installed.
As you can see in the PCB, there are 3 different cards: 512KB, 2 MB and 4 MB.
Both 2011 and 2121 support 512 KB and 2 MB cards, I tested it. But I don't know if the 2011 will recognise the 4 MB card.

Thank you for the photos GTM.

You are welcome Nestor. At least I am good for something around here. Yes, from what I understand the 2011 has a limit of 2.5 MB of RAM and the 2121 could take up to 6 MB from the memory cards they had available. I don't really remember but I think you can expand the RAM with an expansion card also. Anyway, since I have PC DOS 7 I can type QCONFIG / P from the command prompt and it says it has a 386 SX processor at 16 MHz running at 20 MHz. The 2121 boots with 6144K of RAM and it runs really well. I think IBM said the 2121 can run up to about a 525 MB hard drive and when I typed CHKDSK it says it has about 549something MB of disk space. The newer, larger hard drive is much faster than the older 129 MB drives. The additional RAM and larger hard drive really made a difference in performance on my 2121.

Back when they advertised a lot of computers about 21 years ago they would describe them as "Blazing Fast" in the magazine articles.

I just managed to score a PS/1 2121 a couple of days ago... I need to get a new battery.. lol but it REALLY loves IBM-DOS 4.00 ..

Has anyone tried to install OS/2 1.0, 1.1, 1.2 or 1.3 ..? What about xenix?

I'm dying to run something *OTHER* than DOS4/Windows 3.00 ..

It looks like getting any of those RAM boards for the PS/1s are out of the question, has anyone tried a 'normal' ISA extended RAM board..? I was thinking as long as it isn't too long this would be a much easier route... That and a real soundblaster...

CkzESl.jpg
And it'd be worthless without a picture... :)

Odd, I figured the PS/1 line was just a standard ISA computer and didn't know they needed proprietary RAM cards.

Yeah its a bit of a bummer... I've got to do some memory testing to see why they are limited to such a low amount of memory, or maybe it was a motherboard thing? ... like where does the ROMDOS live in the 16MB address space of the 286/386sx? was it a paged rom (like an ems thing?) or did it just live in in the 384k umb? how big was the ROM?

I've ordered an ISA ethernet card, and a 512MB 'flash' IDE drive for mine, not being networked in this day/age makes things really .. limited.. lol

The ROMDOS (and all the EPROMs contents) are mapped in the last 512 kb of the 16 MB address space. I opened a thread some time ago and Chuck built a utility to dump this area.

Ok, I was going to build a program to walk the memory map and dump it to disk, once I get my ethernet (80MB disks!? What was IBM thinking 20 years ago???).. Is there a way to disable the ROM drive? I tried an OS/2 1.21 dump I have and it just hangs for country.sys (which could be a dozen problems...)... I may just have to break down and make disks..

Would there be any reason why we cant shove in some AT XMS board, and get not only more than the 1/2MB built in, but up to the ROM space, so 15MB of ram..? or is the built in ROM coded to stop at 6mb on the 386, and 2.5 on the 286..?

I really love the form factor of the PS/1 but 2MB of ram just isn't all that much .. :\

Back