• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Favorite DOS Games!

I don't know if it's been mentioned before, but what about that donkey game that Bill Gates wrote in BASIC and threw into early versions of DOS?

Yep. That was the first vintage game I ever played. I've thought of taking the BASIC code and adding to it before.

I found it suprisingly challenging.
There is only so many donkey's I can handle.
I'm also more used to games like Grand Theft Auto where I would've got more points for hitting them :/

Google around for "the boss key". It was a keyboard shortcut in some games that brought up either a fake work looking page or some programmers thought it would be even more entertaining to instead starting playing a tune and bright graphics letting your boss you're not working ;-)

edit: I'm not aware of a single tsr doing this, it was built in to the game itself just for kicks

Donkey is technically the first IBM PC game ever created when you think about it, since it came out with the launch of the IBM PC in Aug 1981.

I like how it was written by Gates himself and you can actually edit Bill's code instead of having it compiled in an EXE.

What about frogger and Godzilla
Jack Nicholas Golf
I'd play a game of frogger any day!

Yeah, I spent a lot of time playing Frogger on my C64 many years ago...

Wow what a place to discover! I have a large collection of older games that I loved playing and have managed to get some of them to work on Win 7. Some of my all time favs are the following:

XCOM - Ufro Defense
XCOM - Terror From the Deep
XCOM - APocalypse
Stronghold - The kingdom sim
All SSI D&D Goldbox games - Spent YEARS playing these
Dune 2
Wizardy 7 - Crusaders of the Dark Savant

O the list goes on and on.. also really loved the platform RPG games such as Shining in the Darkness for the Sega Genesis.

Over the years I managed to piece together an extensive Atari 2600 library along with many of the instruction manuals and original boxes, catalogs... u name it. Another area I got into has home computing gaming. My system of choice back in the day was the TRS-80 Color computer. My favorite all time game was Madness & the Minotaur, which I then later created a website about.. which is still out there somewhere! Second favorite was Dungeons of Daggorath... O the days.. I had so much fun. Glad to find this great forum topic!

i also like all the PC ports of the awesome retro arcade games, but I have a NES for that...

"Full Throttle" - awesome RPG for DOS. Ran fine on my 486 66MHz at the time.
Battle Drome - Joystick required very fun robot killing game.
Earth Siege - Awesome robot RPG

Some of the earliest dos games I played were "Thexder" from some Japanese programmers (they also did "Silpheed" but it wasn't as good), and Prince of Persia which I played on my Tandy 1000 EX and TX, when I got a proper 486 PC I played ROTT, (Rise of the Triad) from Apogee, it ran on the same game engine as did all ID games (maker of Doom) in fact Apogee was being run at that time by Tom Hall, one of the original ID team. He came up with all sorts of great games, such Commander Keen, Hocus Pocus, etc. Of course there was ID software with Doom, but along with Doom came all those other games based on the Doom game engine like Hexen/Heretic and Duke Nukem.

I loved the fact that ID software would release game titles as shareware trough a number of college FTP servers, not only could you download shareware versions of Doom but all sorts of add-ons, mods, WADs, etc. I also loved playing Blizzard titles like Warcraft 1 & 2, then going on the still fairly-new Internet to find user created PUDs. By that time though the DOS era was coming to a close.

Back