• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Favorite DOS Games!

My favorite DOS games are Full Throttle and Battleship. These two games excites me more whenever I am playing these. I am open for some DOS games if it's not hindrance to those two games.

YEP, I'm a dumb axe

YEP, I'm a dumb axe

So cruel I laughed out loud! Sometimes I need to be kicked back into reality - thanks Deathshadow!

Hi all... just joined, first post. After reading 11 pages of DOS games you all love, it just brought back such great memories! I'm 38 and my first computer was an Aquarius in 1983 which was quickly returned, then a CoCo 2 where I learned to program in Basic and had some fun cassette and cartridge games. Then came the Tandy 1000 EX and soon after the TX which is where all the DOS fun began! Below is a list of games that I thoroughly enjoyed and played for days (sometimes in school on the IBM's in computer class) and nights on end. This first group are ones already listed in this thread but for me are definitely worth repeating:

Prince of Persia
Gobliiins
Space Quest
Police Quest
Sopwith
Thexder
Police Quest
Space Quest
Epic Pinball
Wolfenstein 3D
Doom
Quake
Street Rod
Battle Chess
Battle Chess 4000
Populous
Civilization
Paratrooper
Dune 2
Oil's Well (Sierra)
Heretic
Alley Cat
Digger
NYet
All the Apogee and Epic Games

This second group I did not see listed in this thread, but were very fun games (for me anyway) and I'm sure a few of you remember them as well:

California Games
Skate or Die
Ancient Art of War at Sea
Shogun
Darkseed
Marble Madness
Descent
Silpheed (DOS version was fun; tried the PS2 remake and it sucked!)
ABC Monday Night Football (one of the only sports games I ever liked except NFL Blitz using Voodoo graphics)
Pipe Dream
Puzznic
Jumpman
Bouncing Babies
Spacewar
Lode Runner
Pango
Pinball Construction Set
Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing (Yes I had the first version in 1987! It's now 25 years old!)

I'm sure there were others, but these were the ones I remembered off the top of my head, or looked up on some of the DOS games websites to remember the names! After looking at the list, I wonder how I ever had time to play all of them in my middle and high school years. I guess I never really owned a console until the PS2, and even since then I've only had a N64 and a Wii for my daughter... guess I'm a classic PC owner/gamer all the way!

......All the Apogee and Epic Games......Pipe Dream..
Welcome!

I too like all the Apogee games, mainly Commander Keen and Duke Nukem, the more well known ones. And I see Pipe Dream in that list. I was very young when we got our Gateway computer with BOWEP on it. I loved those games. My favorites in that were Pipe Dream, JezzBall, IDLEWILD, and Sink Sub.

My favorites were Wolf3D, Lemmings, and something that I'm pretty sure was a DOS game that was called BRIX or something like that. Does anyone remember that one? LOVED it, and think I got stuck on one of the final levels.

Also liked Commander Keen, Jill of the Jungle and Duke Nuke'm. I still have a few of the (3 1/2") Public Brand Software floppies hanging around (Commander Keen and Jill).

I recently heard that alley cat, when run on a PCjr, uses 3 voice sound.
Some of the readily available versions of the game on abandonware sites have been improperly ripped from original floppies and do not have the 3 voice support.

disclaimer, that I have not yet verified this personally, but I do trust the source. (a member here in fact)

Welcome!

And I see Pipe Dream in that list. I was very young when we got our Gateway computer with BOWEP on it. I loved those games. My favorites in that were Pipe Dream, JezzBall, IDLEWILD, and Sink Sub.

Thanks. And I'm not referring to the Windows Entertainment Pack of Pipe Dream (that would be a windows, not DOS game). The Pipe Dream I'm talking about was released in 1989 by Lucasfilm LTD: http://www.abandonwaredos.com/abandonware-game.php?abandonware=Pipe+dream&gid=OTY1 . The WEP was a windows knockoff like most of the other BOWEP games.

...and something that I'm pretty sure was a DOS game that was called BRIX or something like that. Does anyone remember that one?

This one? http://www.abandonwaredos.com/abandonware-game.php?abandonware=Brix&gid=MTQ0Ng==

Didn't know which one you were referring to, since I've played both of them in the past. I also like the Reversi in Windows 1 better than in WEP.

It did! Ballmer says in the commercial, "And can you believe it, REVERSI!!" They should've stuck with Reversi instead of Minesweeper, but if we played that all throught Windows versions, would we long for a game change too?

Aren't there any Tetris and Welltris addicts left out there? Facestris wasn't bad either - still have them all in the original boxes. And, how about that neat little TSR of a Lotus 1-2-3 spread sheet page that you invoke when the boss was in the area?

Aren't there any Tetris and Welltris addicts left out there? Facestris wasn't bad either - still have them all in the original boxes. And, how about that neat little TSR of a Lotus 1-2-3 spread sheet page that you invoke when the boss was in the area?

NYet (im on my iphone so i cant link abandonware site to it) that a few of us have listed was the early Tetris port for dos. I played (and dreamed) tetris for hours and hours! I love the arcade version, but nyet satisfied my tetris fix everyday without going broke! I tried welltris and while it was different, it just didn't keep my interest for long. Facetris I never heard of, but I have seen the lotus "boss" screen on many a game out there.

My favorites:

Any of the Infocom text adventures
Flight Simulator 1 (for TRS-80 Model 2000 graphics)
Gato
Leisure Suit Larry
Wing Commander: Armada
Chuck Yeager's Air Combat Simulator
EGA Risk
Sid Mier's Railroad Tycoon

Pretty much all of them I've not played in years. I'd like to find another copy of Flight Simulator for the Tandy 1000/2000. It had some nice looking graphics on the Model 2000.

Jeff

Back