• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

LCD's and Backlights?

lyonadmiral

Veteran Member
Typically when it comes to LCD's, either desktop or laptop, I try to think of it as a FRU, and have to replace the whole thing. The back-light is an integral part of the LCD right? I've got a pretty snappy Inspiron 5150, but the back-light seems to be shot in the LCD panel. I did find a cheap replacement on eBay however.

Technically it's actually very possible to replace the CCFL in an LCD. It is, however, a PITA job to do and I would really only recommend doing it if your budget restricts you to doing it. You should also make sure the inverter is working (I'm just mentioning it because I didn't see you say anything about it so I don't know if you checked it yet or not)

The backlight might actually be fine, it might be the inverter board that drives the CCF. What's the manufacturer's part make/model on the panel ? If you want, I'll root through my junk box and see if I have something compatible.
patscc

The backlight might actually be fine, it might be the inverter board that drives the CCF. What's the manufacturer's part make/model on the panel ? If you want, I'll root through my junk box and see if I have something compatible.
patscc

I haven't taken the panel apart yet, I just know it is an Inspiron 5150 with an 1400 by 1050 resolution display.

I can get a complete replacement on eBay for less than $50 so. I guess that is what I will do.

I've had some experience replacing the CFL tube in LCD displays and it isn't that difficult. It take me longer to find a compatible replacement tube, and get it delivered, than it takes to replace the tube. What's involved in replacing the tube is removing the LCD disply from the housing, then removing the tube from the display, and unsoldering the wires from the ends of the tubes. You need good solderng skills. The tubes are very fragile, and while I have broken several used tubes after removing them, I've never broken a new tube while installing it.

Nowadays, I often salvage the tubes from broken LCD displays (that way I know the tube was good before I go to the trouble of installing it).

If you have a laptop with a broken screen, buying a new screen is a good solution if you can get one are a reasonable price.

But if you have a laptop with a screen that'd not lighting up, a new screen may not fix the problem. I've found than about 50% of the time, the inverter is the problem and not the tube. I'd suggest swapping in a good inverter to see if the existing inverter is bad, before going to the work of replacing the tube. Often times you can find complete laptop upper halves with broken screens selling on eBay for $10 or less, with photo/s of the broken screen lighted up and working. This would give you a good inverter, a good wiring harness, and a good tube to make repairs to your screen with.

If you were to buy a new screen, you should note, that you don't get a wiring harness, or inverter, so your purchase may not provide you with the parts you need to fix your non-functional LCD.

Well, you have to take it apart, anyway. Got a 'scope, or a DMM with a frequency function handy ?
Just to tack on to what MicroComuputerSolutions said about new screens, you've really got no way of knowing if the panel you're buying actually works, or is a factory Q/A reject.
patscc

Some LCD panels are easy to get to the CCFL bulb (and replacements are cheap on ebay) but others are a pain in the rear and not worth the time. I just buy cheap broken systems for LCD panels (after I check to see if the inverter is toast). BTW the tubes use high voltage (and failed ones tend to have a black mark on one end where the wire fried) so don't go poking around that area with your fingers if the unit is running. Both the inverter and the panel will have a part number that you should be able to google to find a replacement part (or maybe even a different OEM part that works).

Ispirons are kind of nice, I think I have an 8200 (P4 model with 1600x1200 screen) and an 8000 (P3 model with 1600x1200 screen).

P.S. There are plenty of models that had issues with the GPU failing from bad solder so the panel and inverter might be good but the GPU is bad (even if external video works).

Hi Guys,
I think I'm going to take a whack at replacing the inverter. It is only $5 bucks shipped so I think I'll do that first. The laptop isn't mission critical, so if I break it, it's okay.

Back