• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Found on E-Bay: external floppy disc drives

bettablue

Veteran Member
I had never seen one of these, :cool4: but I can see how useful these can be, especially with some of the HP computer designs. I thought someone here might find them useful. Also, I would personally love to see these in operation. (Hmm, I wonder if they would work with an XT?) Anyway, here is the direct link to these floppy drives. :super:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/9121D-and-9...mputing_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f2489f850
There is also another IBM 5161 expansion unit for sale, and this time, the seller seems to have priced it about right. At least he's not trying to get rich off of it. The expansion unit is missing the extender card and cable cable, but if anyone here purchases this expansion unit, please contact me. I have 2 sets of extender and receiver cards for sale. Plus I know where to get a replacement cable.
:cool3:
Here's the link to the expansion unit. It looks to be a great condition too, and comes with the original hard disc drive and controller. :maddevil:I wish I had the money to buy this one myself, but sadly, I don't. However, if I did, I would buy it for use with my newly acquired 5160 XT system.

:yinyang:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/IBM-5161-Ex...tage_Computers_Mainframes&hash=item3a80abb2f8

Hope this helps.

I believe "SteveMarg" was looking out for a 5161 cable.

I was chatting with him after he got his 5161, and we seem to have gotten that covered, but I'll contact him anyway to see if he still needs one. The sad thing about these cables, is that they haven't been made in years. Places that have had these cables in their inventory won't try ordering any more when their stock is finally gone, so buying now is the best bet. I know several people who can make their own too, so if you know of anyone I can add to that list of suppliers, please send me their contact info.

Thanks much DLO.

Yes, to bad it wasn't the 9122 drives instead, they are DS/DD (but might be only 720K? I can't remember now. Anyway, these are useful for people with HP 9000 systems, and probably other machines with HP-IB interfaces. I used a HP9826 with the 9122 drives (yep, 9122D) at my first workplace. It was a nice machine.

Last edited:
Both of those drives have an HP-IB interface. They won't work with a PC unless you have an HP-IB interface card and the proper utilities to access them.
The drives in the 9122D are 720K drives and as Chuck(G) says, they spin at 600 rpm and are incompatible with a standard PC floppy controller.

Correction - The top box is a 9121D and has SS/DD drives.

Last edited:
Betta has a spare set of extender/receiver cards. He doesn't have the cable but has a line on them. Purchase the 5161 if you want it :)

Back