• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Dave Dunfields Imagedisk

I've used 3.5" DSHD drives on my Model 16 successfully. Just a few jumpers and a newer design FDC board--was fairly straightforward. The nice thing is that a 3.5" drive requires only 5V for power supply.

Some pictures for every bodies amusement. To see what I am doing. Maybe some pointers as to what I am doing wrong! This is trying to create a TRS-DOS 6.0 disk for my model 4. 1st PIC select drive tracks etc. 2nd Pic pick filename. 3rd Pic press enter. 4th pic Locks up tighter than a drum guys!
CTL-ALT-DEL won't even work. Need to press reset to reboot.

Attachments

• 100_1148.jpg
    100_1148.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 100_1149.jpg
    100_1149.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 100_1150.jpg
    100_1150.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 100_1151.jpg
    100_1151.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 2
This trying to create a TRS-80 Model IV 6.0 disk. Not an 8" was trying to test it out. Thought I would post pictures of what I was doing. Maybe someone could spot an error on my part.

TRS-DOS 6.0 is single sided double density 40 tracks.

Okay, for some reason, I thought you were working with a Model 2/12.

It's okay--nowadays, I get confused easily. What's the format of a track on one of these? (bytes per sector/sector)? I'm too lazy to look it up.

Okay, for some reason, I thought you were working with a Model 2/12.

It's okay--nowadays, I get confused easily. What's the format of a track on one of these? (bytes per sector/sector)? I'm too lazy to look it up.

Yeah Chuck I know that feeling! I was originally but was wanting to test something else out. Like a 180KB image using SS/DD format. And it did not work as well as seen in the pics.

I tried running IMD on a 1GHz PIII no success, Pentium 1 with a VIA MVP chipset wouldn't even start IMD and my Compaq portable as well also no go.
So I have tried all my computers with no success at all.

Only thing that worked so far was your suggestion on using IMDU /B and then only partially.

The TRS-80 Bytes per sector I think is 256 but no sure.

OK to all those peeps that have it working could you provide a hardware listing of the system you are running it on. Ok Need Computer type and if it is a commercial system built system with CPU and CPU speed, Ram amount, are you using the integrated floppy controller or an external floppy card. If a homebrew system what motherboard ETC and all pertinent info as listed above. This would help me out a lot.

In a pervious post I mentioned I tried on several systems with no luck. So any info appreciated.

Well, I know I've done the Model II floppies (the 8" ones) before successfully. I'll try the Model 4 floppy when I get back from some errands.

Just so I don't get confused, the drive you're using to write this is a 360K drive right? (e.g. Teac FD55BR)

Just curious, have you tried writing a different image, such as a plain DOS boot disk to see if that works?

Problem is site is down. In as far as obtaining disk images. But if you mean something like rawrite on a .bin files works fine. But that doesn't use the IMD program.

Chuck: Yes right now a 360k drive is installed. Last couple of hours I pulled the Slot-1 PIII-600 Motherboard out and installed a Pentium 1 with a 233MHz using the Intel TX chipset. On internal floppy controller lock up also same when using AHA-1542 floppy port. Thing is I can run diagnostics, Format a floppy everything except reading and writing. When trying to write a disk the activity lite doesn't even come on. Just immediately freezes. So that make 6 systems now it fails on.

Be darned if I know what's wrong. But I'll bet it's something simple hopefully.;)

Last edited:
So that make 6 systems now it fails on.
Failures on that many systems suggests some kind of software problem. What version of DOS are you using? Is there anything odd in your autoexec.bat or config.sys? have you tried a "clean" boot from a verified good disk? Is your copy of ImageDisk corrupt? Have you checked to see if perhaps you inadvertently have dug up an old DOS virus?

Well I downloaded both Imagedisk 1.17 & 1.18 both exhibit the same problem. Using DOS 5 and renamed the Autoexec.bat and config.sys so they will not be loaded. Still no go. Also tried booting clean booting DOS 6.22 and running IMD. Same results every time.

And as I mentioned at the beginning the same thing happened 2 years ago when trying to create Tandy 2000 disks! And had more computers then to try and test with!!! Only one computer would work and that was a Tandy 1000! Well that system is long gone. And besides if I still had it can't DS/HD format.

I posted Pics so check them out. You will see what is not happening! Like not working for read/write.

Last edited:
Hmm...strange. I've used Imagedisk for my Kaypro and Epson QX 10 floppies on a 360k drive and it works just fine. I couldn't tell you what my system is. I'd have to take it apart for that but it's a Pentium II Windows 98 machine that I've configured to boot straight to DOS.

For Model IV floppies I used Dave Keil's emulator as discussed here.

Tez

Hi Tez, I use David Kiels for Real TRS-80 disks. I was just trying to test IMD on a smaller image. And I run it under pure dos.

Oh I see. You want to write an image. I should have read the thread more carefully. I seem to remember successfully imaging some disks at some stage with this program but I can't remember which system. One of the CP/M ones I have I think. I don't think it was the Model IV.

Tez

By "write an image", you want to create an image from a real floppy right? Ive just re-read the whole thread and I'm still a little confused as to whether the problem is with creating images from real disks or writing images back onto real disks?

Tez

Writing images to actual floppies. And as I mentioned it locks up every time I try to write and image or even try to create and image. I don't even need a floppy disk in the drive. I pick write, Press enter and LOCK UP!!! No disk lite ever comes on.

I wish there were another program that could do this. Write .IMD's this software does not work for me at all.

Back