• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

What are your "Holy Grails?"

This actually got me thinking. Not so rare, har har.
I think were I to get everything I want - but don't yet have - would include the following:

1) TRS-80 Model 4 with both floppies.
2) A PC-compatible (non-Tandy) 80186 motherboard. (Saw one back when they were new, but never since.) Probably 10 or 12MHz.
3) Commodore B-128 with drives and peripherals. But I ain't paying $600 for one. lol

That's about all, really. As I tinker with other different ones, that "unattainable" list may expand, but that's all I'm truly after at the moment.

The only other 80186 Systems besides the Tandy 2000 that I know of were the TI Professional (there is one on eBay now) and th Mindset. Are there generic motherboards with the chip?

The only other 80186 Systems besides the Tandy 2000 that I know of were the TI Professional (there is one on eBay now) and th Mindset. Are there generic motherboards with the chip?

The Burroughs ICON also used a 80186. That's another of my Holy Grails. Most of them were deliberately destroyed though so I don't think I'll ever find one.

BurroughsIcona.jpg

Last edited:

There were several other MS-DOS systems using the 80186. The problem is that it's difficult to make an 80186/88-based system that's completely hardware-compatible with the traditional IBM PC. Some might even say that it's impossible. Which is a shame, because the 80186 is a very simple-to-interface chip. Mostly, it found application as an embedded controller (e.g. USR Courier modems, Cipher tape drives, laser printers, etc.).

The NEC V40 faced a similar situation, although it was far closer to the standard PC architecture.

Heathkit H-8 with the H-19 Terminal and dual floppy drive's. Tandy 1200HD a rebranded Tandon. And also a Tandy TRS-80 2000 with HD and CM-1 color monitor. Oh and all in working condition.

Yup. They came in proprietary cases, but the board layout was the same as a standard AT -and only had 6 slots instead of 8. Put out by a company called Swan Technologies, if I remember right.

I have a PCI SCSI host adapter that uses an 80186-25. Even if it's just a peripheral card, that alone makes it unique.

That's not to say I'm not open to other makers of boards. I just want one at 10 or 12MHz speed. Not too terribly concerned about 100% compatibility really. So long as it fits in a normal case. Or comes with the one its meant for.

Last edited:
There were several other MS-DOS systems using the 80186. The problem is that it's difficult to make an 80186/88-based system that's completely hardware-compatible with the traditional IBM PC. Some might even say that it's impossible. Which is a shame, because the 80186 is a very simple-to-interface chip. Mostly, it found application as an embedded controller (e.g. USR Courier modems, Cipher tape drives, laser printers, etc.).
I know, it is unfortunate that Intel released the 186 and the 286 at the time it did.

I have a 20th Anniversary Mac Prototype if that's not too new.

If we need older I have a Compaq Portable I, which isn't all that special as they aren't insanely rare nor insanely common.

Scratch that, I read the topic wrong and posted what I already own.

I would love to own a NeXT system, just to own one. Another system that I wouldn't mind owning is one of the odd Compaq SystemPros that allowed for asymmetric multiprocessing.

I would really love one of those SPARC-based laptops. They seem to be less common than Altair 8800s here, I assume because they probably cost a ****ton of money new.

Another system that I wouldn't mind owning is one of the odd Compaq SystemPros that allowed for asymmetric multiprocessing.
I've been offered an ALR 6x6 system at one point which was six pentium PRO chips but it just consumed a crazy amount of power. I was better off playing the Quake series on an Onyx.

Money and space, I can usually get more of. It's TIME that I don't have enough of.

If I had unlimited TIME, I would love a nearly-complete Apple IIgs setup. Which is a decision fuel purely by nostalgia and nothing else. (I never owned one, but I coveted them.)

Most of the "must-haves" have taken me up to 25 years to collect, but I finally have just about everything I've been looking for: AT&T PC 6300 memory board, IBM Music Feature Card, Roland SCC-1, IBM PS/2 Model 25, and finally, a functional 5161 expansion unit which is now in monthly use.

After collecting for a decade you pretty much have what you really wanted (that is affordable) and you are left with stuff you wouldn't mind having or trying out.

1) TRS-80 Model 4 with both floppies.
2) A PC-compatible (non-Tandy) 80186 motherboard. (Saw one back when they were new, but never since.) Probably 10 or 12MHz.
3) Commodore B-128 with drives and peripherals. But I ain't paying $600 for one. lol

After extensive research, I've revised my list. The 80186 is out.

The other two, however, are still in the plan. Add to that a Atari Falcon030, and Amiga 500, an Apple IIgs, among others.

i would say having the last surviving model of a phillips p1000 system

Is it yours or it's something you seek? I can't remember what that auction went for but I do know who won one (english is great isn't it?) of those high dollar model kits but I thought it was a PDP.

Well that's easy...

A PDP-1, the ultimate "space war" setup

Space, money and availability being the biggest obstacles. Not to mention a crew of white lab coats to keep it running and my own circuit on the power grid.

I don't know if this qualifies as a 'Holy Grail' or not, but if for some reason I had to give up all but one of my machines, I'd keep my Tandy 1000SX. Yes, I could live without the net.

Back