• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

VAX-11/730 System on eBay

Yes, I start projects much faster than I finish them! I think I'm pretty well stocked with vintage computers now. Well, maybe I'll get a NeXT cube someday. And I've been curious about the Atari 800… :)

Anyway, I'm hoping that this 730 will satisfy my VAX-lust and inoculate me against the need to contract a case of 11/780. I'll certainly share pictures and updates.

Ok, now to search for installation media...

The very generous fellow who's helping me with pickup and preparation for shipping has picked up the machine, and it's sitting on his dock at work while we work out a freight quote. Here are some pictures he sent me. Isn't it beautiful?

Image 1.jpg Image 2.jpg Image.jpg

Looks exactly like the one we used to have at work, years ago - if my memory can be trusted. Have fun!

-Tor

So when is it due to arrive?

I'm still kicking myself for not buying it just for the sake of fixing the TU-58 and then selling it. On the other hand though, after getting the microcode loading on that machine, everything else you do in life will be boring :p

It went on the truck today, and the shipper quoted 4 days. I'm not sure if it's business days or calendar days, and I'm not sure whether it's going to a freight terminal that will be open for pickup on a weekend. So, I'm thinking I ought to have it in a couple of weeks or so.

I have a PDT-11 project (VT-100 with built-in QBUS backplane and dual TU58). I was thinking that I may rebuild that first and try to image all of the microcode tapes there before I even start on the VAX. I got some tubing for rebuilding the TU58 capstans, but the diameter ended up a little bit large. I've ordered some thinner-walled tubing to see if that works better. I'm trying to use the very soft latex surgical tubing, except tinted black instead of the more common tan color. It seems like it'll work well, and it doesn't even seem to need to be glued to the aluminum capstan hub. For my first experiment, I just cut off a ring of the tubing with scissors by eyeball, and it seemed to give OK results. Next I'll try putting some tubing on a teflon mandrel of about the same diameter as the capstan hub, chucking it in a lathe, and cutting the tubing with a scalpel to see if that gives me a neater cut for a more symmetric tire.

Naturally, I'll experiment with other TU58 cartridges before any of those microcode tapes go in the drive!

Should unknown old TU58 tapes receive some preliminary treatment like baking before I try to image them?

Awesome :D

Funnily enough, I just pulled my VAXStation out of the closet and started doing a fresh install of VMS 7.3 yesterday...must be some kind of planetary alignment or something.

It's home! I took today off from work to go pick it up at a local freight terminal. My dad helped me out. It might be a while before I can play with it too much, since I have a lot of other stuff going on over the next several days.

IMG_1034.jpg IMG_1035.jpg IMG_1038.jpg IMG_1040.jpg

Time for ibuprofen...

Is that an R80 drive or an RA80 drive? The buttons / indicator lamps looks slightly different than those on pictures of an RA80 drive. What's the difference between an R80 drive and an RA80 drive?

What’s the story on the Data General Nova in the background?

The Nova 3 came along with my PDP-11V3-L system:

http://www.nf6x.net/2014/03/data-general-nova-3-and-dec-pdp-11v03-l/

Is that an R80 drive or an RA80 drive? The buttons / indicator lamps looks slightly different than those on pictures of an RA80 drive. What's the difference between an R80 drive and an RA80 drive?

It's an R80. I'm still confused about the difference between it and an RA80.

Thanks! I missed the R80 maintenance prints when I looked there earlier. I just noticed the subdirectories for other drives.

Uh oh… Here's an excerpt from the 11/130 installation manual, regarding the travel lock on the R80 drive:

Uh-Oh.jpg

I just did the exact opposite. I guess I need to get inside the HDA and see if I wrecked the heads before I try applying power?

Crap!

A minor update: I've gotten to the point where I finally applied power to the main cabinet. The R80 spins up and indicates readiness without making any terrifying sounds, as does the RL02. I can get the console up to the "ROM>" prompt, but it can't read any of the console tapes that I have (yes, I already cleaned the drives and replaced the rubber on the capstans). I've downloaded some supposed 11/130 console tape images, so I guess that my next step will be to splice in my laptop in place of the TU58 drive and try to bring up the console with tu58em.

I've also bought a really nice looking LA120 DECwriter III on eBay to use as a printing console terminal, and hope to get it in another week or so. Naturally, it's traveling all the way across the continent by truck freight. Sigh!

I've been thinking about making a TU58 emulator in the same form factor as a TU58 tape cartridge, such that it can snap into an existing TU58 drive with its cables snaking into the bowels of the machine to connect in place of the original drive. Or maybe inline between the CPU and original drive, so one unit of a dual-drive TU58 can remain available while the other is emulated? It would accept two SD cards to emulate the two units of a TU58 drive.

Who knows if I'll even find the gumption and attention span to complete the project, but this 11/730 should help encourage me. Emulating a console tape drive on something like an 11/750 or 11/730 was one of my motivations to come up with this idea.

One way that I plan to diverge from other solutions that I've seen is in the user interface: Rather than having an LCD and buttons to select images from SD cards (and thus having a bigger and more obtrusive mechanical footprint), I'll just treat each SD card as a single TU58 cartridge and map the raw image to the first 256k (or up to 32M if desired for oversized images) of the SD card. Yes, most of the card's capacity would be wasted. But SD cards are dirt cheap. Cheaper than blank TU58 tapes were back in the day, if I'm not mistaken. And this would result in the same user interface as the original TU58 drive: Pick out the desired piece of plastic from a box, shove it into the hole, and hope it works. :)

In the case of the 11/730, an emulator like I envision could be installed in the internal drive where it's out of sight, leaving the front drive still available for dealing with real tapes. Or it could pop into the front drive for easier access without looking too ugly. In my PDP-11V03-L, I figure I'd velcro it inside of the RX02 drive. It would be out of sight, but easily accessible by sliding the RX02 drive out a couple inches on its slide rails. There's a lot of empty space inside that drive, given how small we can easily make electronic doodads these days.

Naturally, it's traveling all the way across the continent by truck freight. Sigh!

I'm just going to call you "Mr. Freight" from now on! ;)

I'm looking forward to progress on your TU58 emulator, if you go ahead with it. That would prove useful for lots of applications.

-Twylo

I'm pretty ignorant about how a Vax-11 is constructed. Does getting a console prompt mean you got the microcode to work?

I'm pretty ignorant about how a Vax-11 is constructed. Does getting a console prompt mean you got the microcode to work?

Not in this case. As I understand it, the "ROM>" prompt is issued by the ROM-based code in the 8085 console processor after it fails to load its code from the TU58 tape. It never got far enough along for the console processor to read the microcode from the tape and load it into the VAX CPU's writeable control store (WCS) board. The normal console processor prompt after it loaded its operating code would be ">>>", and at that prompt I would then be able to do things like accessing VAX CPU registers and memory, bootstrapping code from the TU58 tape into the VAX CPU, etc.

The documentation I have describes the various commands available at the ">>>" prompt, but says nothing about the "ROM>" prompt. I think that back in the day, having a "ROM>" prompt and not being able to get out of it would imply "Call DEC field service". By trial and error, the only thing I've been able to get the "ROM>" prompt to accept without issuing a cryptic error message is control-C, which appears to make it retry loading from the TU58 tape the same way it automatically does when power is applied.

Once I get to the ">>>" (the normal console prompt that an operator of a functioning machine might see), I think that the WCS would typically have been loaded if I'm using a standard console tape, though that doesn't need to be true depending on what's on that tape. IIRC, there's normally a script called "POWER.CMD" or something similar that gets executed at power on.

Edited to add: In case I didn't make it clear enough, I believe that the 8085 console processor needs to load 8085 code from the TU58 console tape before it's even smart enough to accept commands to do anything with the VAX processor.

Back